Airsense10 heating fault... buying used?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
recipefordisaster

Airsense10 heating fault... buying used?

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:59 am

My AirSense 10 is just over 3 years old and out of warranty (I rented to own from the DME-warranty is, conveniently, 27 months). I am getting a heating fault and a message that therapy will run without humidification. I think that would be okay (I'm using passover humidity, I guess) until the dryness of fall/winter. I don't want to add a standalone humidifier, partly because everything in the house is wood. Nothing bad has ever happened to the machine.

Has anyone had any luck getting this fault fixed? I'm sure ResMed doesn't care.

I've started to look at Craigslist for machines that seem to be AirSense 10s. I found a few... asked for a photo of the run hours screen, whether they are owned outright or rented, a photo showing what type of machine it is, and if there is any smoking. I would meet the person somewhere like a library where there is an outlet.... what else do I need to worry about before purchasing? Is there a way to tell if a machine is being rented? There are a few up to $400.

My copay would be over $350 for a new machine if going through the DME. It's not like I have had great luck with longevity buying new!

The interesting thing is that my husband's using an S8 which has been fine, and he does not use humidification. I would give him my machine and use the new one, giving him APAP capability and a lot more smart features. Having a spare would be nice, but I also think his therapy could be optimized with the data from a new machine. He's on straight CPAP and hasn't been titrated in many years.

If anyone has a suitable machine for me, please let me know!

WRX03

Re: Airsense10 heating fault... buying used?

Post by WRX03 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 am

It's about 50/50 between the heater plate being bad or the main circuit board causing the alarm. The majority of the time the failure is moisture getting on electronics and corrosion.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:01 am

recipefordisaster wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:59 am
I would give him my machine and use the new one, giving him APAP capability and a lot more smart features. Having a spare would be nice, but I also think his therapy could be optimized with the data from a new machine. He's on straight CPAP and hasn't been titrated in many years.
Good idea. You could use Sleepyhead to optimize his machine settings.
recipefordisaster wrote:
My AirSense 10 is just over 3 years old and out of warranty (I rented to own from the DME-warranty is, conveniently, 27 months).
I would appeal to ResMed to fix this machine under warranty. Manufacturers will often honor the warranty if it is just a few months expired. Your DME should provide a loaner while your machine is being repaired.
recipefordisaster wrote:
Craigslist
Yes, you can sometimes find good deals via CL.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks. I will try ResMed for sure. It's not far out of warranty at all, and I didn't even use the humidifier for the first year or so.

I found a few on CL and am already getting the "I can't take a photo until 7/21" kind of crap... yay.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:38 am

recipefordisaster wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:05 am
I found a few on CL and am already getting the "I can't take a photo until 7/21" kind of crap... yay.
I have bought only one thing on CL. It was a real steal, and I still use it every day. But, you can spend a lot of time and energy going down CL rabbit holes.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:41 am

I've done very well and even sold a car that way. But 80 percent of the people on it seem to be there only to waste other people's time. I really don't understand.. it Is worth it but it's a huge pain.

Anything else I need to watch out for buying used, other than run hours, smoking, ownership vs. rental, exact model... ?

WRX03

Post by WRX03 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 am

Tell me the SN and I can tell you exactly the warranty date. :D

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:00 am

recipefordisaster wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:41 am
nything else I need to watch out for buying used, other than run hours, smoking, ownership vs. rental, exact model... ?
Be wary of the bipartisan models.

knothead

Post by knothead » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:20 am

Hi rfd,

Just a thought, have you tried to reset machine? Unplug wait couple seconds and plug back in. I dont know if that will help but it wont hurt.
Something else to ask about when buying used, PETS. I have bought 2 of my machines used from CL and am very happy with both. I gave 200 for my latest Resmed Airsense 10 with 900 hours, it came out of state and I paid shipping(thinking 25 bucks). Deals are out there, just have to watch...good luck with your search.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 am

I can't say much about pets... I can see how clean the machine is, but I have cats and horses myself.

That's a good deal, I'd be happy to pay that. I'm looking on LetGo as well.

I did try resetting it... wish that had worked. I expected a longer life from this thing. Thanks!

knothead

Post by knothead » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 am

If you don't mind a low hour S9 Auto......
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/hab/d/ ... 10287.html
Just ask if they are willing to ship, some will...

And here is a Airsense 10 Auto priced right.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/hab/d/re ... 43574.html
I texted the guy, it has 2806 hours and will ship... :)

The reason I sent you these two, they both have phone numbers to call. Only way to buy on CL...talk.
Good luck

Last edited by knothead on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 am

Beware of the AirSense 10 Elite machines too. They are bricks.

Many people here have used SecondWindCPAP.

Here's one with 3 masks, but they have not responded to me with runtime hours.

https://lynchburg.craigslist.org/hab/d/ ... 82516.html

Last edited by prodigyplace on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 am

Thank you! I'm really looking at Autosets and would prefer the same model I have... S 10.

Thank you for the links too!

knothead

Post by knothead » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 am

recipefordisaster wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 am
Thank you! I'm really looking at Autosets and would prefer the same model I have... S 10.

Thank you for the links too!
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/hab/d/re ... 43574.html
Can't get any closer to resmed airsense 10 Autoset than this.... :lol:

recipefordisaster

Post by recipefordisaster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 am

I know! I wrote to that guy.