Leak Rate

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mrcrayola

Leak Rate

Post by mrcrayola » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:29 am

Hi all. Apologies for what is no doubt yet another redundant question from me, but would someone please explain "leak rate?" I see two lines in the graph. Why two? The software says the leak rate represents the amount of loss within the system. So does that mean that the percentage indicated (higher or lower line?) is the volume of air produced by the cpap device that doesn't reach your mouth and/or nose?

I'm seeing higher line percentages 40 to 45 percent fairly consistently. If that does mean almost have of the pressure being produced is non-productive, then I will deduce that I need to buy new headgear for my mask.

Thanks much!

MC
Just an average joe on his way from here to there...

Pugsy

Re: Leak Rate

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:37 am

It's not %...it's L/min

Top line is the total leak which is the mask's expected vent/intentional leak PLUS any excess leak.
Bottom line is a close approximation of the excess only leak.

A top line leak number of 40 to 50 L/min is well within respectable total leak numbers for a Respironics machine report.
If you start having leaks where the machine can't compensate well for them it will be flagged up on the Events graph. See the LL on the side of the Events graph? That is Large Leak.

Large leak territory varies with mask and pressure used. The more pressure then the higher the line in the sand where the beginning of large leak territory is. This is because the vent rate increase as the pressure increases.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mrcrayola

Post by mrcrayola » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks, Pugsy. So I don't need new headgear. Ever consider creating a "Pugsy SH glossary?" Your info is always more comprehensive than what one can find in the SH "sleep disorder" glossary.

Cheers,

MC

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:23 am

mrcrayola wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:51 am
Ever consider creating a "Pugsy SH glossary?"
I have one of sorts in the Announcements section. I need to update it but just haven't had the time. My leak explanation is covered in the tutorial but it's so big and I rambled so much that it's not easy to find.

Unless you start seeing consistent prolonged large leak flags on the events graph that you can't fix...your headgear is fine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mrcrayola

Post by mrcrayola » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:29 am

thanks again!

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am

How do you fix large leaks?
-----------
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; YOU are the one who gets burned.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am

pikov22 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am
First you have to find the cause by identifying where the leak is occurring.

Is it an improperly fitting mask, a hole in the tubing, a weak or cracked connection? If it's the mask watch online fitting videos and some even have guides you can print off to measure for your face. For some liner's like Padacheek work but sometimes that mask just isn't for you and the search begins again.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:29 am

OkyDoky wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am
pikov22 wrote:

Is it an improperly fitting mask, a hole in the tubing, a weak or cracked connection? If it's the mask watch online fitting videos and some even have guides you can print off to measure for your face. For some liner's like Padacheek work but sometimes not. If it's mask movement make sure your skin is clean and free of oil. Sometimes this is where the liners help. But sometimes that mask just isn't for you and the search begins again.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 am

OkyDoky wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am
pikov22 wrote:

Is it an improperly fitting mask, a hole in the tubing, a weak or cracked connection? If it's the mask watch online fitting videos and some even have guides you can print off to measure for your face. For some liner's like Padacheek work but sometimes that mask just isn't for you and the search begins again.
It's probably the mask fit. I'm going to get some leakage because of my mustache but unless I adjust the straps tight enough to eliminate the leaks, I guess I'll always have them.
-----------
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; YOU are the one who gets burned.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am

pikov22 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 am
It's probably the mask fit. I'm going to get some leakage because of my mustache but unless I adjust the straps tight enough to eliminate the leaks, I guess I'll always have them.
Have you tried nasal pillows like the p10? The mustache might not be a problem with pillows.

pikov22

Post by pikov22 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:48 am

OkyDoky wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am
pikov22 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 am
Have you tried nasal pillows like the p10? The mustache might not be a problem with pillows.
I did but they did not work well for me.
-----------