Just woke up from first night of use

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Breedon32

Just woke up from first night of use

Post by Breedon32 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:54 am

Hello everyone,

I just woke up from my first night of sleeping with a machine. I am using a full mask. I slept almost 6 hours and I don’t feel like I woke up at all. However my issue is trying to get back to bed. It’s early in the morning.

When I tried to put the mask back on, it was blowing at a real high pressure because I didn’t turn off the machine because I had to run out of room for my child quickly. So I turned off the machine and started it up again. Now I feel like I’m not getting enough air when the mask i try to put it on and start again. I know there is a ramp up time. I hated the feeling of gasping when I ripped off the mask and still don’t like trying to get the air to work now to go to bed.

However I do feel like I slept pretty good last night

Uff Da

Re: Just woke up from first night of use

Post by Uff Da » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:25 am

I turned the ramp off on my machine. I didn't like that super low pressure, either. You can also shorten the time if you want it at all.

overshoot

Post by overshoot » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:55 am

As someone who just started as well (just woke up from my 2nd night), I turned my ramp off as well. 4 is too low of pressure for me anyway, and in order to better handle the range max, I find its better to get used to a higher min (8 / 12 in my case for now, until I can work my max higher). Personally, I found 7 or 8 to be pretty perfect, as its enough pressure to get used to and still fall asleep. Many on this forum talked about 4 being too low and hard to breath, and I agree. The Idea of ramp is a nice one, but in practical terms, when it starts with 4 - no thank you.

I do agree it is a bit hard to get back to sleep once you are rested (its 7:30 here, and typically I sleep until 9 on the weekend), but perhaps I'm just more rested than usual.

Good luck to you as well - glad you were able to sleep through the night (that is huge). I only got 3 hours my first night.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:08 am

Breedon32 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:54 am
I know there is a ramp up time. I hated the feeling of gasping when I ripped off the mask and still don’t like trying to get the air to work now to go to bed.
You can turn the ramp off, or you can increase the ramp starting pressure.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:27 am

In your case, I would not turn off the ramp completely, at least not at this time. You report the full pressure to high to fall asleep, but the initial pressure inadequate. The solution is for you to set a higher starting pressure, but lower than the full pressure (you'll need to see what's comfortable). Some machines have a "smart-ramp;" you might want to consider enabling that if you have it.

Note that it seems that you had a solid six-hour sleep. This is probably much more quality sleep than your body is used to. That might also have been contributory to your inability to get back to sleep. This will resolve itself with time. Remember that six hours of good sleep is much better than twelve-hours of poor sleep (even if six hours isn't really enough).

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:35 am

D.H. wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:27 am
In your case, I would not turn off the ramp completely, at least not at this time. You report the full pressure to high to fall asleep, but the initial pressure inadequate. The solution is for you to set a higher starting pressure, but lower than the full pressure (you'll need to see what's comfortable). Some machines have a "smart-ramp;" you might want to consider enabling that if you have it.

Note that it seems that you had a solid six-hour sleep. This is probably much more quality sleep than your body is used to. That might also have been contributory to your inability to get back to sleep. This will resolve itself with time. Remember that six hours of good sleep is much better than twelve-hours of poor sleep (even if six hours isn't really enough).

Where does the OP say they have trouble falling asleep with the full pressure? They say they feel like gasping (not enough air) when starting. And being bothered by the blowing. A mask that is not leaking does not blow. Personally, I found the ramp to be pretty annoying, so I'd kill the ramp or set the starting pressure to at least 6 cm H2O.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:33 am

As has already been suggested, turn up the ramp starting pressure. The ramp feature is a matter of preference, and need not be used at all if you don't care for it.

Many here feel like they are starving for air at 4cm, so your complaint is not unusual. Personally, I like the ramp feature, and have no issue with a 4cm starting pressure, which just goes to show it's an individual thing.

Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:09 pm

TASmart wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:35 am
D.H. wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:27 am

Where does the OP say they have trouble falling asleep with the full pressure? They say they feel like gasping (not enough air) when starting. And being bothered by the blowing. A mask that is not leaking does not blow. Personally, I found the ramp to be pretty annoying, so I'd kill the ramp or set the starting pressure to at least 6 cm H2O.
It was implied in the second paragraph. He said that he turned it off and then on again to reengage the ramp. Presumably, he felt a need to reengage the ramp.