So, anybody using CPAP with braces?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tash

So, anybody using CPAP with braces?

Post by Tash » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi all! I have been using APAP just over a year now, and have had good success - with HUGE thanks to all who have helped me achieve that by posting info on this forum and answering my various questions along the way. I just got braces put on today and am curious if there's anything I should know before sucking air tonight.

Also, I will be having orthonathic surgery on my upper and lower jaw in March, as my jaw is structurally incorrect (as in formed incorrectly as I grew into adulthood) and this has resulted in an open bite and major wear on my jaw joints. As I am only 38, I have decided to go proactive and get it fixed, instead of waiting for my joints to completely grind away. Interestingly enough, my oral surgeon has advised that this may also "cure" my sleep apnea - no guarantees, but I do remember reading some threads on MMA and am curious if anyone has some good links available?

Thanks and happy new year!

Tash

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi, the consensus is generally that while it might help (if not cure) your apnea for some time (1-2 yrs), the problem often recurs, so while it's great that you're having the surgery done because you need it anyway (Laforte procedure?) and that it might help the apnea for ?? time, be prepared for it to not necessarily last forever with regard to the apnea (though only your MD could tell you if your structural fix will last). Don't forget that the aspect which helps out with apnea involves soft tissues (palate, uvula, etc.) as well, and they may be the ones to eventually relapse and cause problems, though I'd imagine the bony part of the surg. would hold up.

kidknits

me ,too

Post by kidknits » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:40 pm

I had jaw surgery- moved both jaws forward- 20 years ago. It has held pretty well, but not quite! I'll be getting braces - for the fourth time- very soon and was also wondering if it would make sleeping with cpap trickier. Let us know!

Tash

Post by Tash » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:20 pm

Well, besides the pain from the braces being new (teeth hurt), it all went well last night with CPAP. I use the Activa and tape my mouth, and the new braces didn't seem to change anything. So, at least for me, no difference.

Sleep well,
Tash

josh

Post by josh » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:44 am

I have been on braces now for about 5 months...and I must say that apart from the pain from tightenings, I have had no problems with CPAP with them. I have them because I will be going through with the MMA hopefully within the next couple months...time will tell on January 18th

Aren't braces fun?? lol

The ox is slow...but the earth is patient.

Tash

Post by Tash » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:44 am

Josh,
Yeah, they are just a blast. Keep us posted on the MMA...

Take care,
Tash

S-Dubya

Post by S-Dubya » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:00 pm

I am about 34 yrs old and I have been on CPAP for 3.5 years. I got braces on my bottom teeth about 6 weeks ago and I will be getting the uppers on Feb 1st. Before beginning braces I had non-surgical palatal expansion for about 4 months (currently in the retention phase). While I don't think it made a big difference to my OSA, it has allowed me to become more of a nose breather. Before I never felt like I could get enough air through my nose. Now it seems to flow much easier and I have even switched from a FF mask to a nasal mask.

Nice to see there are others here with Apnea and braces!

tomjax

braces

Post by tomjax » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:44 am

No, my cpap does not have braces.