giving it one more shot

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sharlan

giving it one more shot

Post by sharlan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:28 pm

I have had my machine for 2 wks now, have over 80 hrs on it. A couple of nights I have gotten so frustrated with my mask that I took it off. I sleep on my side and if I lay just right, I end up with a stream of air shooting in my eye, whichever side I am lying on. I have tried everything everyone has suggested, here and other forums.

I sleep better without the machine, wake up less, but feel like @@@@ in the morning and I drag all day long. When I use the machine, I wake up a lot more during the night, but feel so much better during the day.

So, do I not use the machine and sleep or use it and feel better? It is such a toss up. During my sleep study, I woke up 50 times an hour and my O2 levels dropped down to 51%. No wonder I feel so tired all the time.

I called my dr on 12/11 requesting a prescription for a new mask. I have called every other day since then, but the dr hasn't signed it yet. Will try again tomorrow. The receptionist told me yesterday she would ask another dr in the office to request a different type of mask.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:39 pm

My opinion:

You need to keep trying to use your therapy while you're waiting for a different mask.
I've never used that mask, so I can't comment on it. Did you pick it out
initially or did the equipment supplier decide that's what you need?
Have you tried tweaking with the strap tension? Lots of masks leak and are definitely uncomfortable if they're too tight.

Give your next mask a LOT of thought and research.

Best wishes,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:40 pm

Try a nasal pillow mask. I started with one kinda like yours and it didn't work for me. Nasal pillows have worked great for over 6 years.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:46 pm

You have to be willing to shoot it until it's dead. One more shot might just wing it.

You have the same mask I have, It seals easyer than any other I have had. Check and see if you are mouthbreathing, you may require tape for your mouth. Mouthbreathing stops your treatment, taping or a Full Face mask or the answers, but FF Masks leak more.

Air in you eyes may be caused by the vents on the mask elbow. They seem to blow into the eyes somestimes, I have to reposition the hose. (Not the best design, and noisy too. Mole skin can be used to seal around the nose on the mask, but I just pull mine down lower on the nose bridge.

Check the Yellow bulb at the top of the page for ideas, you can make this work as soon as you decide it will work, a positive attitude overcomes troubles. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:09 pm

sharlan wrote:So, do I not use the machine and sleep or use it and feel better? It is such a toss up. During my sleep study, I woke up 50 times an hour and my O2 levels dropped down to 51%. No wonder I feel so tired all the time.
I went through the same thing back in the beginning. But, when you consider the consequences of untreated OSA, it really isn't a toss up at all. While using CPAP is very annoying in the beginning (and the sleep deprivation makes you crazy), not using it can cause serious health problems including stroke and death.
Medical Consequences of Sleep Apnea

Cardiovascular consequences of OSA*
hypertension (high blood pressure)
heart failure
atherosclerosis (heart attacks, angina)
atherosclerosis (stroke)
atrial fibrillation
ventricular arrhythmias
pulmonary hypertension

Other consequences of OSA:
trauma (traffic accidents)
glaucoma
snoring spouse syndrome
diminished libido
in children: illness like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
in children: slowed growth

Other associations with OSA:
obesity
obesity syndromes, such as Prader-Willi syndrome
polycystic ovary disease
renal failure
hypothyroidism
Marfan syndrome
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
post-polio syndrome
gastro-esophageal reflux
worsening of epilepsy

*Wolk R, Somers VK. Cardiovascular consequences of obstructive sleep apnea. Clin Chest Med. 2003;24:195-205.
Hang in there and don't give up! You're worth it!!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:13 am

Don't give up! You know you feel better when you cpap. This is just a problem with the mask. Go to the MDs office and don't leave with out the Rx for a new mask! Call where ever you got your mask from and tell them you can't use it. But PLEASE...Don't give up!

Brenda

stoverquill

Post by stoverquill » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:19 am

Sharlan,

Don't give up. I had trouble with the same mask you are using. I have a very small face and just could not get a seal. The mask was comfortable, but no seal. I agree with the post above - walk into that office and refuse to leave until you get another prescription!!! btw I use CL2 now and love it! But a mask is very personal and you really need the chance to try others.

Hang in there. Yesterday, I had an "overwhelmed" day and the people on this forum helped me alot. Keep reading here, posting when you can, and you (we) can make it!!!
Wishing you dreams!!!
Trina

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

tmaiberger

Post by tmaiberger » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:51 am

I used that mask for a little while. Had similar problems/complaints. I "solved" it by making it tighter, but then ended up with stripes on my face. I have had better results (more comfortable, able to tolerate better, no red zebra stripes on my face) with other masks. I use the UMII nasal and the Activa (UMII most nights recently). BUT as stated above, mask preference is personal and what works for one may not for another.

Try to stick with the xpap. It took me a good while to work out all the kinks (thanks in great part to the people on this board answering my questions and the search function on the board), and now (7 months into it), I have trouble sleeping without it, but it took me a while to get to that point.

TM

RestlessRoper

Post by RestlessRoper » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:12 am

[quote="sharlan"]I have had my machine for 2 wks now, have over 80 hrs on it. A couple of nights I have gotten so frustrated with my mask that I took it off. I sleep on my side and if I lay just right, I end up with a stream of air shooting in my eye, whichever side I am lying on.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have been about 2.5 weeks on the CPAP, changed masks and now I am having the same problem as you. I believe my mask is too big. I am working on getting a better fit.

When I asked for the second mask, they just handed me one with no fitting or measuring.

RestlessRoper

Post by RestlessRoper » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:32 am

Missing something there. I meant to say I believe the mask I have is too large. It presses on my eyes and when I pull it down it puts some pressure on my lip.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:20 am

As others have said ... use the hose. With a 51% O2 saturation, you are harming your heart and other internal organs in a really bad way. I had an AHI twice yours but my O2 saturation was only 60% (still pretty bad). I did not realize how bad it was harming me until I skipped one night without the machine .... it was also the last cuz I felt so bad the next day (ever had the flu with a hangover from hell at the same time?) -- think of it as being water-boarded all night long every time you sleep without the mask.

Everyone has a different facial structure so masks that work for some may not work for you. I don't know what your finances are like but you need to find a way to try out more masks in order to get some decent sleep. Remember your health is way more important than a new HDTV or a new car, a new computer, or even a new ________ (fill in the blank).

Anyway, best of luck in your quest to find the right PAP interface and as others have stated ... don't give up!

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

sharlan

Post by sharlan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:52 am

I gave it one more try last night and will do the same tonight. I am going to give it one more night until I get a new mask.

I woke up 6 times last night, but was able to go right back to sleep.

I woke up at one point to water dripping on my arm. Even though I had my hh set at 2, there was a lot of condensation. It got pretty cold last night.

I am normally a mouth breather because my nasal passages are always swollen. The dr told me to try Claritan, but all that did was dry them out, not reduce the swelling.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:04 am

For the water/rainout, you may want to try a fleece hosecover. Easily made from what I understand. I bought one from offerocker from this board, comfortsleeve, which works well for me.

TM

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:26 am

You could turn the HH down to 1, or like mine I leave it off, I like it cool, it still picks up some moisture. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire