Cause of spikes in flow rate?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jannicatt

Cause of spikes in flow rate?

Post by jannicatt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:48 pm

My 92 year old husband has great readings with low events and good oxygen reports. But his flow rate shows constant big spikes and I don't know what this indicates. Different setting? or could it be related to A Fib which he has? He uses Air Sense auto setting and Air touch mask. Is there anything I can change to make it better?

https://imgur.com/a/nwBRZ
Last edited by jannicatt on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Re: Cause of spikes in flow rate?

Post by palerider » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:21 pm

jannicatt wrote:My 92 year old husband has great readings with low events and good oxygen reports. But his flow rate shows constant big spikes and I don't know what this indicates. Different setting? or could it be related to A Fib which he has? He uses Air Sense auto setting and Air touch mask. Is there anything I can change to make it better?

Change the 'img' tag above to 'url' and it'll display, an 'img' always ends with a file name, not a web page. (something like .png .gif .jpg)

Also, without seeing something in the flow, it means little, looks pretty normal at the zoomed out level... zoom till you're looking at one of the spikes close up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Last edited by Julie on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jannicatt

Post by jannicatt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm

palerider wrote:
jannicatt wrote:My 92 year old husband has great readings with low events and good oxygen reports. But his flow rate shows constant big spikes and I don't know what this indicates. Different setting? or could it be related to A Fib which he has? He uses Air Sense auto setting and Air touch mask. Is there anything I can change to make it better?

Change the 'img' tag above to 'url' and it'll display, an 'img' always ends with a file name, not a web page. (something like .png .gif .jpg)

Also, without seeing something in the flow, it means little, looks pretty normal at the zoomed out level... zoom till you're looking at one of the spikes close up.
https://imgur.com/a/wrNZb
Is this right? I zoomed in on one of the spikes.

ajack

Post by ajack » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:17 pm

I would like my chart to be that good at 92. There isn't much wrong and the flow rate does spike for most people during sleep.
I wouldn't touch a thing and just accept it.
If anything, I would increase the min pressure. Perhaps 9 moving toward the 95% 10. There was a bit of flow limit on a breath. There is no need to increase the max pressure

I'm on a different machine, but look how my flow rate and tidal volume is all over the place
direct link https://imgur.com/r46TqaJ

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:07 pm

jannicatt wrote:
palerider wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/wrNZb
Is this right? I zoomed in on one of the spikes.
Unless you missed the spike, there's nothing to see there. You can't reasonably expect a perfectly smooth flow chart.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:03 pm

https://imgur.com/a/nwBRZ
The data you show looks normal. Your later post after zooming in does not show a flow rate spike. Maybe you didn't zoom in at the right time? Usually a flow rate spike is due to a sudden deep breath (usually normal) or due to a sudden leak caused by the sleeper trying to reset the mask's seal.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/