Thought I had adjusted well, then came... the pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RosPap

Thought I had adjusted well, then came... the pressure

Post by RosPap » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks to some folks here on the forums, I thought my adjustment to the CPAP was well underway. I have been wearing it for 6-8 hours a night for the last 3 weeks.

Then, two nights ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with super strong pressure in the nasal mask that was virtually preventing me from breathing out. When I forced air out, it was lifting the mask off my face and causing a large air leak. After1.5 hours, I ended up taking the mask off for the rest of the night.

Last night, the unit increased the pressure to ~13.5 in around 10 minutes before I could fall asleep. Again, super strong pressure that makes it nearly impossible to exhale. I kicked the pressure back down temporarily (with the ramp button) but it went back up again after 10 minutes — mask off for the rest of the night.

I realize the machine is “smart” and likely increasing pressure faster now that I’ve been wearing it for a certain amount of time (around 3 weeks)? What happened to the breathe in/out assist — it feels like it’s completely turned off? Is it really just normal to feel this “suffocated” at these higher pressures?

jim22

Re: Thought I had adjusted well, then came... the pressure

Post by jim22 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Well, we need some sleepyhead charts to really see what was going on. 13.5 isn't super high, and you could check the exhale relief settings to make sure the machine settings haven't been corrupted. Others should be along to help, I'm sure we can get you back on track.
Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

Papit

Post by Papit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Don't be afraid to go back to see your doc or his technician to recheck the settings and ask more questions. You're new at this and it will be good for your comfort level. All the best,

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Papit wrote:Don't be afraid to go back to see your doc or his technician to recheck the settings and ask more questions. You're new at this and it will be good for your comfort level. All the best,
That's my sentiments. If you're having problems exhaling, ask your doctor why you are not on a BiPAP machine. It may come down to insurance wanting you to try the CPAP first. It was true in my case.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow