Resmed S10 vs S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
feeling_better

Resmed S10 vs S9

Post by feeling_better » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:13 am

I am now the very occasional visitor. On cpap for over 10 years...

I have been using Resmed s9 for the last 5 yrs, now my new unit has arrived, and S10.

1. Where do I find the clinician manual, so I can setup everything my way? My setup the simple fixed pressure, quick ramp up.

2. Does s9, s10 use the same filter?

3. I heard from my doc there may be some new open source software that can be used for looking at the detailed data on my computer. What is the name of it? Any links?

4. Any other pointers for a new S10 user?

Thank you for your help!
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows

Wulfman...

Re: Resmed S10 vs S9

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:58 am

feeling_better wrote:I am now the very occasional visitor. On cpap for over 10 years...

I have been using Resmed s9 for the last 5 yrs, now my new unit has arrived, and S10.

1. Where do I find the clinician manual, so I can setup everything my way? My setup the simple fixed pressure, quick ramp up.

2. Does s9, s10 use the same filter?

3. I heard from my doc there may be some new open source software that can be used for looking at the detailed data on my computer. What is the name of it? Any links?

4. Any other pointers for a new S10 user?

Thank you for your help!
Which model did you get? Autoset? Elite?
Here you go:
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

Looks like it.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-filters/resmed.php#:::2:::

Sleepyhead software.
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead

Don't own one, but.......
It's my understanding that the algorithms are very similar (or the same), just in a different package ( unless you have the "For Her" model and then there's just an added optional setting )

Glad to see you again, FB.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:18 am

I think Den covered all except number 4 so I will try that one.

I have used both the S9 and now have an AirSense 10....no real difference except that if you use the humidifier the humidity settings are a bit different and I have found that it seems to use more water than the S9 did at very similar settings.
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... sa_eng.pdf

There are some minor additions to the settings menu that you didn't have with the S9 like the auto ramp thing but the basic guts of how the machine goes about doing its job didn't change.

I actually have the for Her AutoSet model and I am currently using the special apap mode for Her (also tried the regular apap mode) and I kinda like it.
I am also using a heated hose which I also really like especially this time of year with my cold bedroom.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:44 am

Wulfman... wrote: Don't own one, but.......
It's my understanding that the algorithms are very similar (or the same), just in a different package ( unless you have the "For Her" model and then there's just an added optional setting )
The AS10 Autoset I purchased recently had the same choice of response (standard vs soft) offered by the "for her" model. The other AS10 Autoset I bought first, though otherwise identical, does not have that choice. Thus, if of recent manufacture, an AS10 Autoset may well emulate the "for her."

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am

feeling_better wrote:3. I heard from my doc there may be some new open source software that can be used for looking at the detailed data on my computer. What is the name of it? Any links?
Wulfman already included the link, but I will add one thing more. This single statement should give you heart in your on-going journey. If he/she holds the same open mindedness with regard to this sense of enclusiveness regarding other aspects of your treatment you should count yourself lucky indeed. It might be that there are others in your area who find themselves less fortunate and would welcome information about where you are and who the doc is.

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Thank you very very much for all the very prompt replies! All to the point !!! Glad to see the forum very active, and reminds me of the time about 7-10 years ago when I was very active here (I checked my start date in my profile, it says 2008, but I think I started a few years before that, by working back thru all the cpap machines I had used When the forum changed the software server, they might have reset that? Or memory is not good )

Sorry, my bad, not providing this with the initial post. AirSense 10 AutoSet with Humidifier [I see that you can use this without the humidifier too, by sealing that opening off with a plastic cap --- which is not covered by medicare and costs about $25 or so . That is an ideal candidate for somebody to 3d print it in small quantities and sell for $5, or to make it China for 5c ]

I will ask specific followup questions in separate post.

BTW, my unit is the usual black color. The dummy the doc showed me was a nice white/cream color. Do they come in different colors? Not important.

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
feeling_better wrote:I am now the very occasional visitor. On cpap for over 10 years...

Sleepyhead software.
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead

Den
The page at the link above mentions S9 as supported but not S10. Could be simply a stale page. Anybody here using the software with s10?

I think this uploads my data to somebodys cloud. I am not a fan of any sw which can take data from the computer and get to their sites... Ideally it should be all local, that is my privacy view. It is not my cpap data that I am really concerned about; once a sw has the path to get data from our computer, all other data on the computer is at risk, assuming the sw may go to the dark side.

I see there are apps now for the phone! I had not even known that since I did look at the sw scene for many years. Ideally for me an app on Android (my cell is a very recent high end model) will be great! Especially if it can link thru the wifi in the machine!!! Anything in that area?

Second best would be if it runs on a Chromeos (the open source version of Chromebook -- consider Chromeos same as Chromebook for most purposes). I seldom open my windows 10, except for things like yearly tax return

Any comments / suggestions?

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:36 pm

JimW159 wrote:
feeling_better wrote:3. I heard from my doc there may be some new open source software that can be used for looking at the detailed data on my computer. What is the name of it? Any links?
Wulfman already included the link, but I will add one thing more. This single statement should give you heart in your on-going journey. If he/she holds the same open mindedness with regard to this sense of enclusiveness regarding other aspects of your treatment you should count yourself lucky indeed. It might be that there are others in your area who find themselves less fortunate and would welcome information about where you are and who the doc is.
It could also be that the doc wants the polar bear to become independent and stay out of his hair.

No offense intended, polar bear. Just mulling over the possibilities.

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Pugsy wrote:I think Den covered all except number 4 so I will try that one.

I have used both the S9 and now have an AirSense 10....no real difference except that if you use the humidifier the humidity settings are a bit different and I have found that it seems to use more water than the S9 did at very similar settings.
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... sa_eng.pdf

There are some minor additions to the settings menu that you didn't have with the S9 like the auto ramp thing but the basic guts of how the machine goes about doing its job didn't change.

I actually have the for Her AutoSet model and I am currently using the special apap mode for Her (also tried the regular apap mode) and I kinda like it.
I am also using a heated hose which I also really like especially this time of year with my cold bedroom.
That about the water use is very valuable! Thank you. Any idea about the relative water tank capacities of S9, S10? If you have it handy... I do have the heated tubing. My current s9 settings give about 3 day use on one refill. A few days of adjustment will get me to the proper settings, wish they had increased the tank capacity.

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:45 pm

JimW159 wrote:
Good idea. I would rather not violate the privacy of the doc Generally I take the initiative and ask them about sw. When I was active a few years ago, I give the docs info about such things and some would even thank me for educating them I am a bit that way with all my docs, I send them recent medical articles which they are surprised about, since they dont have the time to read up on research publishing until they get to their token continuing education classes I appreciate your suggestion.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:59 pm

The page at the link above mentions S9 as supported but not S10. Could be simply a stale page. Anybody here using the software with s10?

I think this uploads my data to somebodys cloud. I am not a fan...
SleepyHead is compatible with the Airsense 10. The software is contained completely on your computer. No cloud involved.

yankees789

Post by yankees789 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm

The response mode of soft or standard is not the same as the for her mode. The for her model has 3 modes.
1. cpap mode
2. autoset mode
3. autoset mode for her(special algorithm)

The response mode just makes it slightly more comfortable in the soft option.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Both the S9 and the AirSense 10 water chambers show 380 ml capacity.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

feeling_better

Post by feeling_better » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:

I think this uploads my data to somebodys cloud. I am not a fan...
SleepyHead is compatible with the Airsense 10. The software is contained completely on your computer. No cloud involved.
Jay, thank you very much. Will try ASAP when rebooting into Windows.

Hope this works...replying from my Android phone...

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm

yankees789 wrote:The response mode of soft or standard is not the same as the for her mode. The for her model has 3 modes.
1. cpap mode
2. autoset mode
3. autoset mode for her(special algorithm)

The response mode just makes it slightly more comfortable in the soft option.
What, specifically, are the differences between the two? When in the "for her" mode, is the upper limit of pressure modified in any way? Does the upper limit change if the "soft" response is selected when using the normal autoset? If so, how do those changes manifest themselves in either case?