Doubling up on ResMed AS10/S9 filters good or bad idea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JimW159

Doubling up on ResMed AS10/S9 filters good or bad idea?

Post by JimW159 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:36 pm

While changing the filter on my primary AS10 APAP I began thinking of what might be the benefits/problems if two filters were stacked in the machine. My question: who knows? By experience or theory, what could/may/would/probably happen to the flow of air through the machine? Added resistance? - noise suppression? - noise increase? - et cetera? Share if you will. This relates to using either the standard or hypoallergenic filters.

USMCVet

Re: Doubling up on ResMed AS10/S9 filters good or bad idea?

Post by USMCVet » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:46 pm

My guess is nothing good. My guess is that either you would see reduced actual pressure through mask and or increased wear and tear on machine because of extra resistance.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Wouldn't be something I would do.
In fact, I only use one plain foam filter in any of my machines. (the kind you can rinse out with water)

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:25 pm

It is my belief that no engineer would be in a position to say it's a good idea--not even a rogue ResMed engineer. And I also believe that no one else's opinion would be an informed one.

But hey, that's just what I believe--which doesn't carry much weight, since I also believe the NSA has swarms of hydrogen-powered invisible microscopic drones spying on me when I drive through West Virginia.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:11 pm

That would be the same as using a dirty filter. Less air flow.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:17 pm

JimW159 wrote:While changing the filter on my primary AS10 APAP I began thinking of what might be the benefits/problems if two filters were stacked in the machine. My question: who knows? By experience or theory, what could/may/would/probably happen to the flow of air through the machine? Added resistance? - noise suppression? - noise increase? - et cetera? Share if you will. This relates to using either the standard or hypoallergenic filters.
I do this with my s9, put the regular filter in, then the hypo filter. so the regular one catches the big stuff, then the hypo filter catches smaller stuff, on the unscientific theory that it keeps the hypo filter from getting as much stuff in it as fast... :shrug:

My sinuses haven't complained.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 pm

USMCVet wrote:My guess is that either you would see reduced actual pressure through mask and or increased wear and tear on machine because of extra resistance.
Nope, the machine measures pressure on the outlet, and adjusts the fan speed accordingly, over a hundred times a second. (it has to, otherwise pressure would rise and fall when you breathed.)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:16 am

I have never considered more than one at a time.
Perhaps the bit of Scot my grandmother claimed.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 am

I actually just recently did this. I doubled up on the white fine hypoallergenic filters.
The reason I did this was because I had been using a ResMed brand white hypoallergenic filter and I recently ordered some new filters but aftermarket generic brand and not an OEM ResMed filter. I ordered them because I wanted to see how much difference there was.

There was a significant difference in the density IMO. I could easily see and feel the difference. I was a bit disappointed that the difference was so significant. Finding OEM white fine hypoallergenic filters for the S9 or AirSense (they use the same filter) isn't easy and when found it is a bit pricey compared to the other aftermarket filters.

So I put 2 of the aftermarket filters together and it felt like one of the ResMed brand white fine filters...yeah I know not very scientific but good enough for me.
I did this back when I dropped the water chamber and broke it and had to order a spare and that's when I ordered the after market filters.
When they came I examined them and elected to try 2 of them. So a few weeks now.

I didn't notice anything any different in anything with using 2 filters. Obviously I am still here and unharmed. Nothing weird going on that I know of.

Now these were the white fine hypoallergenic filters...not the standard mesh filters but I don't see a problem using the mesh filter and a fine filter myself. If I can use 2 fine filters without issue...I don't see a problem using a lessor dense mesh filter and a fine filter like PR does.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:27 am

Hope no unscrupulous DME/reseller would use it as an excuse to cause extra grief if a warranty issue ever came up and the double filters were noticed. I assume not. But any use of a product in a manner different from design has that potential, no matter how remote, I believe. So if I were to mention that practice to anyone, I might choose to throw in that little disclaimer about personal choice and responsibility for any repercussions and blah, blah, blah. Just me.

I tend to be a scaredy-cat. I shut the blinds and dim the lights before I cut the warning tags off the mattress.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:34 am

I wonder what kind of warranty there is on these machines?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:49 am

jnk... wrote:So if I were to mention that practice to anyone, I might choose to throw in that little disclaimer about personal choice and responsibility for any repercussions and blah, blah, blah.
Yeah...but I didn't tell anyone to do it. Just that I did it and it didn't kill me and PR has done it and obviously hasn't killed him.
Just because I might do something doesn't mean that I am telling someone to go do it. I figure adult, 21 and grown up should be able to make their own choices and not just because so and so did it.
and all my machines are private purchase so warranty stuff doesn't really apply but if a DME were involved I would just make sure only 1 filter was in place if they got their hands on the machine.
Actually I think given the wide variety of filters themselves in terms of density means that their is likely a wide variable in terms of what the machine will work well with.
It takes 2 of the off brand to equal one ResMed brand filter. It was really easy to feel and see the difference.
herefishy wrote:I wonder what kind of warranty there is on these machines?
ResMed clearly states their warranty on their website....I saw it the other day but I don't have the link handy.
It is 2 years though and supposedly non transferable but I wonder how that works with a machine that a DME gets back and sells to someone one else.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

knothead

Post by knothead » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:54 am

I have used 2 filters in my resmed 9 & 10 for a long time now, no ill affects so far, so far, so far.....

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Pugsy wrote:PR has done it and obviously hasn't killed him.
Much to the disappointment of some people

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:56 pm

palerider wrote:
Pugsy wrote:PR has done it and obviously hasn't killed him.
Much to the disappointment of some people

Well, if both Pugsy and Palerider do it, I'm willing to sign off on it, even if I don't recommend it or do it myself.

Although, I'm perfectly willing to pretend to argue about it and protest it, if that will make things seem a little more exciting around here.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)