Drastic change in sleep patterns - Trazodone

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Krelvin

Drastic change in sleep patterns - Trazodone

Post by Krelvin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 pm

Long story shortened... If you can imagine that.

BTW, I am certainly not promoting this. What works for one person may not work for others. And there are a list of possible side effects that I have not exhibited, that could be serious.

Had a long stretch of bad sleep (couldn't sleep in bed, had to use recliner) for reasons never really figured out, from about mid May to mid July. Then all of a sudden, back to normal.

Back to normal, I was two sleeping again. Go to bed for around 3hours, wake up and be up for a couple hours and then back to bed to get the rest of the nights sleep. Typically, 6.5 - 8 hrs Typical AHI, 2.50 down to 1.58 up to 3.5. Very similar to what I have been getting for many years.

Follow up with Primary, asked if she thought anything might help with sleeping through the night. Ambien was not on the table even though I had tried it a few times with some minor success.

Instead, she got me a short RX for Trazodone. Told me that I could take 1 or 2 if needed and see if that helped.

The first night was a wow night. Almost a bit scary. Normally AHI around 2.5, dropped to a 0.24 night. I never saw such a low number. Slept a full night through with no interruptions.

By scary, I mean it was such as drastic change that I was very cautious to see if this was causing other issues.

Backed off and didn't take one the next night or the next night and had a carry over effect of 0.39 and 0.58. No more two sleep nights.

Since then, I use them occasionally but have cut them down to 1/4 and they still have the same effect.

Couple of the new normal nights:

Click for Larger View

Click for Larger View

I do have off nights, where it really doesn't matter what I do and I have a typical before normal night but not very often. Last night was a good example, but they are few and far between.

I still have very good sleep hygiene, that I have carried through the years, but this has made a significant change for me.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

kteague

Re: Drastic change in sleep patterns - Trazodone

Post by kteague » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Always good to hear what others find is working for them. Maybe if there was a pattern in the part of your brain causing the wakeups that needed to be broken your need for the med will be short term after the brain gets established in a new pattern of sleeping longer. At any rate, glad things are better for you now.

yrnkrn

Post by yrnkrn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:34 am

Good to hear Trazadone works for you. Could you post few of the previous non-Trazadone nights?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 am

I am wondering how much of that pre medication AHI was SWJ and now that you are sleeping more soundly less chance of SWJ flags.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mangos21

Post by mangos21 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm

What dose are you using?

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:45 pm

My doctor put me on it for sleep as well but Im on a low dose (30 mg?) I noticed a little bit of improved sleepiness at bedtime but nothing close to what you felt. I am really scared up upping the dose because I hate antidepressants and I have always had terrible side effects. the one I fear the most is weight gain. I'd like to hear from anyone else taking Trazedone.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 am

DaisySmith wrote:My doctor put me on it for sleep as well but Im on a low dose (30 mg?) I noticed a little bit of improved sleepiness at bedtime but nothing close to what you felt. I am really scared up upping the dose because I hate antidepressants and I have always had terrible side effects. the one I fear the most is weight gain. I'd like to hear from anyone else taking Trazedone.
What type of sleep issues did you have that caused the doctor to put you on Trazadone?

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 pm

49er wrote:
DaisySmith wrote:My doctor put me on it for sleep as well but Im on a low dose (30 mg?) I noticed a little bit of improved sleepiness at bedtime but nothing close to what you felt. I am really scared up upping the dose because I hate antidepressants and I have always had terrible side effects. the one I fear the most is weight gain. I'd like to hear from anyone else taking Trazedone.
What type of sleep issues did you have that caused the doctor to put you on Trazadone?

Literally just could not get sleepy at night. I can doze off watching TV sometimes and as soon as the lights go out Im wide awake.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Your doctor's mileage/creativity/commitment may vary.
It is good to have a physician who does not wear blinders.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:13 am

DaisySmith wrote:
49er wrote:

Literally just could not get sleepy at night. I can doze off watching TV sometimes and as soon as the lights go out Im wide awake.
Would listening to a podcast help once you turn out the lights help? Of course, you would have to make sure it didn't have music that would keep you awake.

steviekm3

Post by steviekm3 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:36 am

Trazadone is being currently studied to reduce sleep apnea.

This could be reason your AHI dropped:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4418332/

MrsRinPDX

Post by MrsRinPDX » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:25 am

steviekm3 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:36 am
Trazadone is being currently studied to reduce sleep apnea.

This could be reason your AHI dropped:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4418332/
Interesting article; I'd never heard of Trazodone before. Thanks for posting.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

CPAPjunkie

Post by CPAPjunkie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:30 pm

Trazadone totally changed the way I wear my mask. About 2 years ago I told sleep doc I needed something to help keep me asleep. My problem was never falling asleep with mask.. I can be asleep within 10 mins of crawling in bed. But I would wake up after about 2 hours and couldn’t fall back to sleep with mask on.. I would try and lay there for hours sometimes trying. I would rip off mask and fall right to sleep. Told doc I needed some help, but wanted something “just enough” and not to feel groggy when I wake up.

Doc gave me a prescription for 50mg trazadone...she said try half pill at first and it you need it.. take it all. I cut them in half still to this day. I will still wake up throughout the night (not extreme), but I will fall right back to sleep. I will sleep 6-8 hours and average 1-3 AHI... wake up refreshed and perfect, no grogginess

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 pm

CPAPjunkie wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:30 pm
Trazadone totally changed the way I wear my mask.
thanks for replying to this thread. i was just thinking about it the other day, but couldn't remember what the name of the drug was.

now i know!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

CPAPjunkie

Post by CPAPjunkie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:54 am

zonker wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 pm
thanks for replying to this thread. i was just thinking about it the...
The only real side effect I experienced was I would wake up a couple times a night with extreme cotton mouth for the first few nights and maybe once every other month (rarely) after that..

Other than that... it’s perfect for me