Should I or shouldn't I?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MaxINTJ

Should I or shouldn't I?

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:34 am

Well, the acute stage of my neck injury seems to be ending. I see a PT in 2 weeks and will find out my PT schedule.

My current dilemma is: should I start CPAP again now that most of the pain has subsided or should I wait until after PT?

I'm quite sure using CPAP for a week is what caused the neck problem (or was the final straw in some other issue), so I'm very concerned about it happening again.

I have asked both the sleep clinic and my PCP but have not heard back, so I was just wondering what opinions were in this group...
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

LSAT

Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

Post by LSAT » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 am

I'm sure you are hoping that the majority say..don't use it.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Maybe you want to try a different type of interface than you were using before!

parzad

Post by parzad » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:26 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:My current dilemma is: should I start CPAP again now that most of the pain has subsided or should I wait until after PT?

I'm quite sure using CPAP for a week is what caused the neck problem (or was the final straw in some other issue), so I'm very concerned about it happening again.
Could I get the Cliff Notes summary of why you think cpap caused your neck problem?

IMO the key to sleeping (with or w/o cpap) is keeping your spine straight.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:36 pm

xxyzx wrote:
the problem was years of wear on the spine
and sleeping on your stomach
blaming the cpap is an excuse to avoid using it

be wary of PT
that has caused me more problems than it ever helped
The mask was the trigger or the final straw, so no matter what came before, the mask was what injured my neck.

As for PT, I have had good and bad results with it. Useless for a hip problem I had, but a life saver for my lower back. Of course for my lower back it was an excellent chiropractor who also did PT, massage, traction, and E-Stim.

In this upcoming case, it's unfortunately going to most likely be a PT and not an excellent chiropractor, so I really don't expect much.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:37 pm

D.H. wrote:Maybe you want to try a different type of interface than you were using before!
As in?????

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm

parzad wrote:Could I get the Cliff Notes summary of why you think cpap caused your neck problem?

Short version:

I am a front sleeper who is 90% on my front with my face mostly facing down.

That position wasn't working because the mask vents out the front so I ended up turning my head way more than normal.

7 days later a disk in my neck decided to herniate and cripple my right arm for 3 weeks.

The ONLY change in my entire life was the CPAP.

So.....

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
xxyzx wrote:
the problem was years of wear on the spine
and sleeping on your stomach
blaming the cpap is an excuse to avoid using it

be wary of PT
that has caused me more problems than it ever helped
The mask was the trigger or the final straw, so no matter what came before, the mask was what injured my neck.

As for PT, I have had good and bad results with it. Useless for a hip problem I had, but a life saver for my lower back. Of course for my lower back it was an excellent chiropractor who also did PT, massage, traction, and E-Stim.

In this upcoming case, it's unfortunately going to most likely be a PT and not an excellent chiropractor, so I really don't expect much.
If you don't expect much, I'm sure you will get it! I expect Good, but am willing to accept what I get! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:11 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
parzad wrote:Could I get the Cliff Notes summary of why you think cpap caused your neck problem?

Short version:

That position wasn't working because the mask vents out the front so I ended up turning my head way more than normal.

7 days later a disk in my neck decided to herniate and cripple my right arm for 3 weeks.

So.....
Correlation does not equal causation.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:18 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:The ONLY change in my entire life was the CPAP.
lol What about the change from sleeping face down and trying to turn your head too far to the side?

There are a lot of people with excuses to give up CPAP. Your reason is the first I have seen of its type.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Midnight Strangler wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:The ONLY change in my entire life was the CPAP.
lol What about the change from sleeping face down and trying to turn your head too far to the side?

There are a lot of people with excuses to give up CPAP. Your reason is the first I have seen of its type.
Well, the mask forced me to turn my head - I hadn't done it before and haven't done it since.

I was told I was the first person at the sleep clinic that slept on the floor, so I guess I'm not normal anyway lol

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:33 pm

I suggest you get one of those inversion table, and hang from your ankles all night long, thus obviating the need for a pillow.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm

palerider wrote:I suggest you get one of those inversion table, and hang from your ankles all night long, thus obviating the need for a pillow.
Would it make me taller?

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:08 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:

So.....

A herniated disk doesn't come out of the blue. It's the result of an injury of some kind and sometimes can be age related. IMHO using your mask may have been the straw that broke the camels back, but it didn't cause it.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Lucyhere wrote:A herniated disk doesn't come out of the blue. It's the result of an injury of some kind and sometimes can be age related. IMHO using your mask may have been the straw that broke the camels back, but it didn't cause it.
The disc was obviously herniated before cpap and could be the very reason he slept in this position.
MaxINTJ wrote:I am a front sleeper who is 90% on my front with my face mostly facing down.
Is it not possible for you to learn to sleep on your side? Keeping your neck and back in alignment?
I used to sleep face down before cpap and now sleep very well on my side, pick one side or use both.