New Old Guy Here

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
seniorbiker

New Old Guy Here

Post by seniorbiker » Tue May 30, 2017 7:19 pm

I just joined this group, however, I have been reading posts for about a year. I am impressed by the knowledge many of you posses, and your willingness to share it. I have been on the machine for about 2 years. I had some issues the first few months, but I overcame them and have been a happy camper since. I have been using the Sleepyhead software and my AHI readings vary from 2-3 most nights with an occasional 4-5. About half of my events are of the CA nature which I have noticed are called Sleep Awake Junk. I fall asleep very quickly, but awake after about 5-6 hours and find it hard to fall back asleep...the last hour is when many of the CAs show up. I enjoy spending time reading posts and think I have acquired helpful knowledge of SA. Well, enough jabbering. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

Pugsy

Re: New Old Guy Here

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dlby

Post by dlby » Wed May 31, 2017 7:14 am

Welcome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

dlby

Post by dlby » Wed May 31, 2017 7:17 am

I read books on my cell phone when I wake up.
3 - 15 pages & I'm back asleep.
Finally I take off cpap if it's only 2-3 hrs b4 time to get up. Figure that's enough for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jsielke

Post by jsielke » Wed May 31, 2017 9:31 am

Welcome from another old guy (73) . I would suggest that the reading to fall back asleep is a good idea, but NOT from you phone or computer as the blue light has been found to (excuse scientific jargon here) "screw up" your sleep. Something about suppressing melatonin. Anyway, it's been actrually tested, and found to be true. Plain books with actual pages are better, anyway

EdNerd

Post by EdNerd » Wed May 31, 2017 11:44 am

There's a difference to the body between needing to sleep and just needing to rest. If your body's "sleep tank" is full, then you're just going to lay there in twilight, or even just awake and eyes closed. I get a lot of "CA" events then too.

I think I've read (and others please feel free to correct me!!) that if you're awake, you are less likely to need the CPAP. Then again, if you're going to stay in bed reading or such, it wouldn't be bad to keep it on. But you can stop the machine while you settle into your new mode, and then let it restart. Apparently, you can't edit the timestamps within an episode in SleepyHead, but you can somehow "delete" an entire episode so it doesn't count into your statistics. So you can tell SH to ignore you being awake and reading, but only if you make that off/on break.

Ed

Very helpful stuff:
"Taming the Mirage Quattro" http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed May 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi Senior Biker.. welcome to the best apnea forum there is, now you can add the monikers "Hosehead" or Hoser" to your names.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed May 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am another old guy and have been on a BIPAP for two years. Are you sitting on a Cat Trike? My wife and I use a different trike for our exercise.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:32 am

You know, a lot of phones these days, including mine, have "night shift", which takes out most of the blue light from your phone's screen during the night time hours. Assuming that you enable that setting, of course. My iPhone and iPad both can do that, and I use f.lux on my desktop computer which does the same removal of blue light for my desktop computer monitor.

Just thought I'd mention that...might be helpful if you don't know that this is available.

seniorbiker

Post by seniorbiker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:39 am

Okie bipap wrote:Welcome to the forum. I am another old guy and have been on a BIPAP for two years. Are you sitting on a Cat Trike? My wife and I use a different trike for our exercise.
Hi Okie.....On the picture, we were at a fund raiser ride. I was sitting on another biker's cycle to see how it felt. Personally, I use an upright Trek Hybrid.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Wife and I both have back trouble and cannot ride on a regular bike for any period of time. Love our trikes. Normally ride about 10 miles a day on them during the warmer months.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.