Upgrading to XP. Should I uninstall Encore Pro first?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Erin_Belli

Upgrading to XP. Should I uninstall Encore Pro first?

Post by Erin_Belli » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:08 pm

I'll be upgrading from Windows 98 to XP Pro in a few days. But I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to uninstall Encore Pro first, then reinstall it after installing XP. Encore Pro seems like such a touchy program that I'm wondering if an upgrade to a new OS would make it go completely wacky, with no way to recover, unless I make sure it's not on the hard drive before I upgrade.
The path to Awakening lies through sleep.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:22 pm

NO, install XP first and all Serivce packs and security updates. Then install EncorePro completely.

Connect the USB card reader last, have EncorePro CD-Rom in drive when you plug in the card reader, if it asks for a driver, tell it to find it from the CD-Rom drive letter.

wading thru the muck!

Re: Upgrading to XP. Should I uninstall Encore Pro first?

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:18 pm

Erin_Belli wrote:I'll be upgrading from Windows 98 to XP Pro in a few days.

I'm curious why you don't wait a month or so and just upgrade to Vista?
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Erin_Belli

Why not Vista

Post by Erin_Belli » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:31 pm

wading throught the muck! wrote:
I was tempted to wait for Vista, then I remembered that new OS's fromMicrosoft sometimes have bugs that require a second release of the OS to fix (for instance, I currently have Windows 98 Second Edition---it came out about a year after the first edition). So I've decided to wait a little while to see how Vista works out for others, and see if a second edition is released. Besides, I've heard that some older programs can't handle 64-bit OS's, and I have a few older programs I'd like to keep.
The path to Awakening lies through sleep.

tomjax

upgrade

Post by tomjax » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:56 pm

I cannot imagine anyone but a true Luddite UPGRADING to xp at this time.

The new vista is coming out shortly and I would suggest you wait.

Have you considered getting the new horseless carriage also?

In any event, it machts nichts, the new version or any new version should not be a problem, except for those using ms-dos.
Welcome to the 21st century and I hope you join in soon.

But what the hell do I know.

Stay in touch with yourself.
Tomjax

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:59 pm

wading thru the muck! wrote:
Erin_Belli wrote:I'll be upgrading from Windows 98 to XP Pro in a few days.

boy I wouldn't rush out to "upgrade" to any of Microsoft's operating systems. I would wipe the drive clean and load a fresh new build.

I beta tested Vista almost a year ago (it also had IE7 beta installed), there is a reason it is several years behind with its release schedule. They are notorious for releasing bad software. Don't you recall several months back they set a deadline to release it? That just means fix the big problems we'll worry about the minor annoying ones with SP1. I think I'd buy another MAC before I'd wait for Vista. They tried to add security like what already exists in Mac OSX where it prompts for a Admin password every time some program tries to access and modify the kernel parameters, you spend half your day logging in giving it access (that is when you are logged in as a Administrator). I heard that didn't work so well so they shut it out altogether, even Symantec, McAffee and other virus suppliers were locked out. MS now has its own virus protection called Windows Defender, sorta explains why the locked out Symantec and the others.

I may upgrade about this time in 2008 that is if SP1 is out by then. MS has gotten even more arrogant with its in-your-face with its Genuine Advantage software policy. What that means in Vista is if you have a $587 MS Office package you purchased it may not run on Vista if it seen it was already installed on your XP or Win98 OS.

Then MS only seems to get it right about every other time. RTM (Release To Manufacturing) is out now, gold should follow unless there are all kinds of problems with upgrades in the field like there was with XP. Besides as soon as you get Vista loaded then you will need to upgrade to the Novell linux version, that way they can shell out and download your computer to their corporate offices and hold it as ransom

I bought a Mac Mini as a big IPOD for itunes, it works pretty darn good, I haven't had to do anything to it, I turn it on every once in a while it says your updates have been installed. I have like over 300 CD's worth of music on that thing. I wish it wasn't a slug and had the newer Intel CPU's but you can't have everything

Goofproof

Re: upgrade

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 pm

tomjax wrote:I cannot imagine anyone but a true Luddite UPGRADING to xp at this time.

The new vista is coming out shortly and I would suggest you wait.

Have you considered getting the new horseless carriage also?

In any event, it machts nichts, the new version or any new version should not be a problem, except for those using ms-dos.

But what the hell do I know.

Stay in touch with yourself.
Tomjax
Right and get a new "M"agic too, that way you can have the best of everything in the world to prefect.

For the best install of XP Pro, or any new operating system, a reformat is the best answer. Also XP likes ram, lot's of it, Vista will want even more of everything, including a better motherboard and powersupply. To get the best out of a operating system requires better componets too.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Luddite is my middle name

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:59 pm

Tomjax wrote:
I cannot imagine anyone but a true Luddite UPGRADING to xp at this time.
Okay, the real reason I don't want to go with Vista, is that when I tried calculating the price of it, plus the price of upgrading half of my favorite programs, and then buying all the hardware I'll need to make it run right, I just couldn't go that high on my abacus.

jskinner

Post by jskinner » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Erin_Belli wrote: Encore Pro seems like such a touchy program that I'm wondering if an upgrade to a new OS would make it go completely wacky, with no way to recover, unless I make sure it's not on the hard drive before I upgrade.
I recommend doing export of your patient data before upgrading your machine. That way you can restore all your Encore Pro data under XP.

I also alway recommend doing a clean intsall of XP rather than an upgrade as things tend to work much better that way (of course its more work and you will have to reinstall everything if you do that)

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:19 am

Ditto on the export.

Likewise on the Fresh Clean install after Format for WinXP. Doing an "Upgrade" is not a good option.

If you use a lot of software, I would hold off on Vista for a while. There are many drivers not available yet and our testing shows it has a number of bugs.

Its got some cool stuff, the UI is nice... but it is $$$$$$ and not ready for prime time IMHO.

Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:51 am

..and it will probably come with IE 7 (FireFox copy) that is currently undergoing major problems. I think Erin's thinking is very sound. Heck, I still have some Allen Bradley PC software that only likes W2K.

People have more fun than anybody..