Apnea & ADD

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
racefan

Apnea & ADD

Post by racefan » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:57 pm

Does anyone know of a correlation between apnea & add or adhd?
I have what i'm guessing is adult adhd. Back when I was a kid I was just called hyperactive. It is not to the point that I am taking meds for it(although i maybe should be) It's just that my brain is never in neutral & it got me to wondering if that could affect your sleep? Does anyone know if there is any info about this?

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:00 am

in children, sleep fragmentaion causes symptoms simular to ADHD.
In adults, syptoms simular to ADD.

IBTeri

Post by IBTeri » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:25 am

I Have it too. I thought ADD but doctor work ADHD the other day so either way I have to much going on upstairs. Now if I can only get my brain to shut up so I can sleep would be cool.

IBTeri

Post by IBTeri » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:28 am

I will also let you know after the 10 of Dec. My 7yr is going in for a sleep study. There already talking putting him on ADHD meds. I'm looking forward to what they say after the sleep study. Because I to want to know add or sleep problems?

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:31 am

There is an excellent book: Delivered from Distraction about ADD by Dr. Hallowell, who did a 10-year study. It's available on audio tape, which I listened to first, then bought the paperback due to the numerous references and great lists.

I purchased mine through Alibris at reduced price.

I HIGHLY recommend this book for anyone who either has ADD or is interested in it. It does address some of the myths formerly associated with the term, and also some helpful ideas.

He describes someone with ADD as one who has a 'busy brain' that can be an asset when priorities are set (and followed). Very easy read, and most interesting. I would recommend the tape first; read by the author. I do not know if it is available on CD. I am attempting to convert it to CD.

p.s. There are three books on eBay now - exceptional values

THIS IS AN EXCERPT FROM AD:
"As Hallowell and Ratey point out, “attention deficit disorder” is a highly misleading description of an intriguing kind of mind. Original, charismatic, energetic, often brilliant, people with ADD have extraordinary talents and gifts embedded in their highly charged but easily distracted minds. Tailored expressly to ADD learning styles and attention spans, Delivered from Distraction provides accessible, engaging discussions of every aspect of the condition, from diagnosis to finding the proper treatment regime."

I hope this helps some.

Last edited by Offerocker on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

IBTeri

Post by IBTeri » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:26 am

Card reader first book nexted! Still scraping together pennys to get the card reader.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:39 pm

IBTeri wrote:I Have it too. I thought ADD but doctor work ADHD the other day so either way I have to much going on upstairs. Now if I can only get my brain to shut up so I can sleep would be cool.
Did your Dr. say if as you call it busy brain(which really describes me also) will affect sleep? I have not talked to my primary care Dr. about it because I don't really like him.

IBTeri

Post by IBTeri » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:54 pm

yes it mess's with sleep. Big time. Can't get my brain to shut down at night no matter how tired I am.

Sadie

Post by Sadie » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:15 pm

OK, "Busy Brains", this is what someone taught me to do, and it worked:

1. Pick a number, say from 1 to 8.
2. Think of nothing other than the number '1'.
Keep that number in 'front of you', eyes closed; that's all you see is that big number '1'. Hold that, concentrating only on that figure for as long as you can, 5-10 seconds.
3. Replace that with the next number, '2', and do the same concentration thing, thinking of ONLY that big number in front of you, taking up all of your vision. Do not allow any other thoughts to come in to that.
4. Repeat until you reach your chosen number, then start over with the number '1'.

What I found was that my BREATHING slowed, into a rhythmic pattern, as the numbers changed. You can use any method you want of obtaining a rhythm. Mine was imagining myself on a simple backyard swing. I was swinging very slowly, and each time I reached the 'top', the number changed. Since the swinging was 'regulated', I had the beginnings of the 'rhythm'.

It takes some doing to keep other thoughts out, but don't think about anything other than THE NUMBER! Soon, I didn't have to repeat the series more than twice, and sometimes once was enough. Eventually, you may be able to just breathe rhythmically to relax yourself enough to fall asleep within minutes. Let the 'outside thoughts' WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW.

If anyone tries this, let me know how it goes.
..nothing ventured, nothing gained...