Dogs

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
michael_schaap

Dogs

Post by michael_schaap » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:18 pm

Mentioned about Thunder my hearing dog in another thread.... wondering how he is going to react to the mask...... anyone have a dog?

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:50 pm

As you can see, I have a little darlin"!
And I have to say that from day 1, my dog never even seemed to notice our new bed partner! (Didn't mind the cpap either! LOL!)

Vader

Re: Dogs

Post by Vader » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:04 pm

michael_schaap wrote:Mentioned about Thunder my hearing dog in another thread.... wondering how he is going to react to the mask...... anyone have a dog?
My German Shepherd gave me that "cocked head" look at first, but none of the others could care less.

Vader

Jaxdad

Post by Jaxdad » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:17 pm

I've got a 10 yr old shepherd/lab cross that snores almost as loud as i do. perhaps she should be checked

michael_schaap

Post by michael_schaap » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:31 pm

Well I'm pretty new to personally owning a dog. Thunder has been working with me for about a year and a halfish now. He is turning 3 this Jan 22nd. He does not smore, but he does dream. He starts yiping and these soft barks when he dreams

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:35 pm

My dog hates anything air related, cpap, vac, generator etc. Will attack it like it's life depends on it. Like Brown, the UPS truck, hates the UPS truck!

TripGuy

tooly125

Post by tooly125 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:36 pm

Maggie is just not sure about the cpap she will come next to me while I'm masked up but she is ready to run if it gets too weird for her.

Of course this is from a dog that runs if you snap your gum around her.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body totally worn out and screaming,WOO HOO what a ride!

ColoradoDreamer

Post by ColoradoDreamer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:26 pm

I've been on CPAP for 4 weeks now and Maggie (2 yr old golden retriever in the avatar) is still concerned when I put it on at night. She sleeps in our bedroom and will wake up and give me a concerned look while I put it on. First time I put it on she took off and kept looking over her shoulder not quite sure what to think. She will have to get use to it just like I have to. The only thing that sacres her more are the hot air ballons that go overhead.

She does groan in her sleep and must dream of running every night. Pretty noisy when she is clawing the wall. She must have a severe case of restless leg syndrome. I don't snore anymore with CPAP so my wife is now having to put up with the dog's nocturnal noises. Of course, neither my snoring nor Maggie's problems bother me.

wabmorgan

Post by wabmorgan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:12 pm

My dog Jean-Luc, also a golden retriever, is much older, he just had his 15th birthday!!!!!!!

Anyway, he never had any reaction to my cpap other than to look at me a little strange.

ZPAP

Post by ZPAP » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:53 am

We have two Golden Retrievers who sleep on the bed (yes, it gets crowded!!) and they are CPAP pros. They know, for example, that it's not time to get up until the machine is turned off and the hose is hung up.

Good luck with your friend.

Michael

9cms of airflow makes me a happy camper!

wabmorgan

Post by wabmorgan » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:48 pm

ColoradoDreamer wrote:
She does groan in her sleep and must dream of running every night. Pretty noisy when she is clawing the wall. She must have a severe case of restless leg syndrome. I don't snore anymore with CPAP so my wife is now having to put up with the dog's nocturnal noises.
The dog's leg twitching is part of their REM sleep!!!!!!!! It is normal!!!!!!!!

KimberlyinMN

Post by KimberlyinMN » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Abby, my Westie, just kind of gave the mask a once-over while Dexter, my standard schnauzer, really is interested in it. I held the mask out to him the other night with the air blowing on him. Then he stared at me as I put it on. Sophie, the cat, just sniffed the mask a few times and ignores it now. When I have the nasal interface on, I'll open my mouth sometimes just to make those weird noises to see what they'll do. They just think I'm weird now and ignore me.

Kimberly

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:26 pm

wabmorgan, I think ColoradoDreamer's post was tongue-in-cheek. I think all of us know doggies legs move when they're chasing squirrels in their sleep.

Nothing cuter!

--CG
Machine: M-Series Auto
Mask: Headrest
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

whatrdreamsmadeof

dogs

Post by whatrdreamsmadeof » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:36 pm

I train dogs so in additon to my Portuguese Water dogs, Miniature Schnauzers, there are always dogs at my house......Lot's in the bed. The only problem I had is when i kept the Leak alerts on in the beging of my treatment and some of the k9s freaked, One of my Schnauzers likes to lie right in front of the exhalation port on his back and have the air blow across his tummy.........sometimes he likes to play "let's eat the air" and chomps at the exhalation port, I think he gets this game from you young grandchilden who thinks it's funny to belch in the dogs face and the dogs acts as if he is trying to eat the burps... Kids and their games.. Overall my dogs all adjust,,,, but I do have to keep my mask in a zipper nylon bag or they will lick it........just like everything else that's mine.. If you have any problems with the dog..PM me I'm glad to help.........Ellen

Vader

Re: Dogs

Post by Vader » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:10 pm

...and of course, this would be one of my dogs.

Vader