Poll: What do you do when colds or allergies come visiting?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What do you do when colds or allergies come visiting?

No problem, full face mask or Hybrid all the time.
24%
Back up of Full face mask
22%
Back up of Hybrid
7%
When congestion gets to bad, go without xPAP
9%
No severe cold/allergies that stopped xPAP
18%
Healthy, No colds since starting xPaP
9%
New to xPAP
11%

Total votes: 45

SelfSeeker

Poll: What do you do when colds or allergies come visiting?

Post by SelfSeeker » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:58 pm

I have been getting one cold after another right now. Twice only one nostril was blocked. The other time, decongestions helped enough to be able to use my hose. But this cold is getting worse, and winter has not even started.

Do you have a full face or hybrid, but you do not use it because it makes the congestion worse?

So I was wondering what do you all do. Any other experiences you would like to share.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Why would a full face mask make congestion worse? If anything, I would think it would help - especially with a heated humidifier. You know how people use steam to help clear congestion? (Head over a pan of just-boiled water, or something similar?) Same principle.

Machine: M-Series Auto
Mask: Headrest
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:14 pm

I have a cold but still use the hybrid. Only problem-this morning (2am) started sneezing. Blew the nasal pillows right out! Had to keep getting up to wash the mask. Guess I'm in for more fun tonight!

Brenda

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:19 pm

LOL College Girl,

I was covering all the bases. I do not know. Maybe someone could not use one.

CollegeGirl wrote:Why would a full face mask make congestion worse? If anything, I would think it would help - especially with a heated humidifier. You know how people use steam to help clear congestion? (Head over a pan of just-boiled water, or something similar?) Same principle.

Brenda,

Good Luck tonight, I hope you start feeling better and sleep better real soon.
bdp522 wrote:I have a cold but still use the hybrid. Only problem-this morning (2am) started sneezing. Blew the nasal pillows right out! Had to keep getting up to wash the mask. Guess I'm in for more fun tonight!

Brenda

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Alisha

Post by Alisha » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:25 pm

SelfSeeker, I agree the heated humidifier is sort of like using steam to help the congestion.

I've had a cold for more than a week now. While I feel miserable during the day, I feel much better at night while I'm sleeping with cpap and heated humidifier set at 3. I wear a FlexiFit 432 ff and don't have the runny nose and watery eyes that plague me during the day. I might cough once or twice before I get to sleep, but it doesn't mess up the mask.

I continue to use cpap whenever I'm sick. I figure I need it as much, and probably more, when I'm sick.

......The information provided in this post is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for professional medical advice......

bsil

Post by bsil » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:15 pm

When I get a cold, I use a nasal decongestant to open up nasal passages, then I use a saline irrigation system multiple times a day. I drink lots of liquids to keep the mucus thin and also use Mucinex (expectorant) to keep mucus thin so that I can cough it out. I am prone to sinus infections, so as soon as I see that the "cold" is turning into a sinus infection, I try to get in with my internist or allergist ( who ever has an opening) to get on antibiotics and the 6 day medrol pack ( steroids). The steroids really do a good job of shrinking the swollen membranes. Too bad it has so many other side effects.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:45 pm

I use to have allergies, two to three times yearly, Now I fight it 24/7. It's not due to XPAP treatment, some of it's caused by med's that I have to take now.

So I take other OTC med's that I'm not supposed to use to get me through the nite. Not a good idea , but you have to keep breathing. I have just spent the last three weeks with the worst cold I ever had, since I quit my job.

But I sucessfully used XPAP, every nite, with a Nasal Mask. Not quite back to normal yet, but making progress, the cold keeps coming back, but weaker each time. In the meantime I keep fighting. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ThunderSnorem

Post by ThunderSnorem » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:05 pm

With a cold I generally try my backup FF mask, but I usually get so miserable from the cold itself that I can't stand it and nothing is good, and end up NOT using cpap. I dread those times becuase I'm just plain sick AND tired, literally!

IORHHI

Post by IORHHI » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:33 pm

What I've noticed in my run through of full face masks, is that about 2/3 of them -- Respironics and Resmed -- when sized right according to the CPAP.com chart -- pinched the top of my nose and restricted my airflow. Then as soon as I got a little stuffy, I couldn't breathe.
I think I must have an unusual facial structure in how narrow the top of my nose is, and how close together my eyes are, because that's the hardest part of my face to fit the mask to.
At least its hard if I don't want to be a musical farting and hissing maskface throughout the night.
THE F&P431 is almost right -- and I modified the nose to be a little narrower.
Barbara

cancun

Re: Poll: What do you do when colds or allergies come visiting?

Post by cancun » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:25 pm

SelfSeeker wrote:I have been getting one cold after another right now. Twice only one nostril was blocked. The other time, decongestions helped enough to be able to use my hose. But this cold is getting worse, and winter has not even started.

Do you have a full face or hybrid, but you do not use it because it makes the congestion worse?

So I was wondering what do you all do. Any other experiences you would like to share.
Have always been a Vick's Vapor Rub girl! I still use it on my chest and it has always helped me breathe and at times would put it under my nose or just rub a bit on my cheeks and it always opens up the nose. I can't see where it would hurt any.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:43 pm

cancun wrote:
SelfSeeker wrote:I have been getting one cold after another right now. Twice only one nostril was blocked. The other time, decongestions helped enough to be able to use my hose. But this cold is getting worse, and winter has not even started.

Have always been a Vick's Vapor Rub girl! I still use it on my chest and it has always helped me breathe and at times would put it under my nose or just rub a bit on my cheeks and it always opens up the nose. I can't see where it would hurt any.
I sure hope SelfSeekers congestion has gotten better, Nine years of solid congestion must be close to sometime of a record. Even mine don't last that long. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

cancun

Post by cancun » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Goofproof wrote:
cancun wrote:

'

I sure hope SelfSeekers congestion has gotten better, Nine years of solid congestion must be close to sometime of a record. Even mine don't last that long. Jim
Too funny!!! I didn't search out this post but responded because it was sitting on the front page and didn't even look at the date! Now I don't see the post from the person who brought it back to life!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:54 pm

People with no life vote on useless Polls, that brings the to the top of the front page, without having to post anything. But it does make them feel better, line talking into a running fan, it amuses them.

One of the problems stemming from allowing useless polls, and allowing posts on threads that have been long dead. JIM

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:12 pm

The upside is the people who are so annoyed by a perfectly harmless act.

lucrezaborgia

Post by lucrezaborgia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:36 pm

I was actually going to ask about this. I have a horrible cold with nasal congestion but my tube isn't heated so I'm getting a lot of rainout. Until I can get a heated tube what is my bestboption. Higher humidity? Lower?