FF Mask Dilemma

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roadwarrior

FF Mask Dilemma

Post by roadwarrior » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 pm

I am about to pull the trigger on either a Han Rudolph 7600 or a ResMed Ultra Mirage full face mask. I've narrowed it to these two as they have the best reputation overall. The Respironics I understand are NOT as nice to the nose bridge (a big issue for me in the past). I have heard the Rudolph has had leak issues, but in most cases it is a improper fit issue. Any glaring issues or opinions here before I order it?

Persistance is Omnipotent

Alisha

Post by Alisha » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:42 pm

I have not tried the first one you mentioned but I could not wear the Ultra Mirage ff because of the pressure of the silicone on nose bridge. I'm sure others love this ff, but I couldn't keep it on but a few minutes at a time.

The most comfortable for me, who has a problem with anything touching nose bridge, including glasses, is the F&P Flexifit 432. I have the large 432, whereas I usually wear a medium and my RT thinks I should wear a small. The foam cushion underneath the silicone gives a good enough seal (actually best seal and fewest mask leaks I've found) to enable me to wear the large which provides less pressure on nose bridge with no leaks around eyes.

This is my experience and humble opinion and I am sure others will have different experiences with ff masks.

......The information provided in this post is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for professional medical advice......

snoozie_suzy

Post by snoozie_suzy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:44 pm

Roadwarrior,

I do really like the UMFF mask. I have been taking a break from the Hybrid for about a month. Not that it doesn't work well or deliver good data on My Encore, but I have been having such a hard time improving my sleep stages and getting good deep sleep over the past year, that I was getting frustrated with the nasal pillows popping out. It was easy enough to reposistion them but I just love the UMFF where you can snap it and lights out, no fuss. It DOES leave a mark on the bridge of my nose, but not to the point its extremely tender. I do have a small nose though, so can understand if other people have a prominent bridge etc that they might be bothered by it.

I have read on here that some people use moleskin to pad that area. I might check into it. Now that ResMeds prices have increased it will be painful to the pocket to reorder, but I take pretty good care of my masks and dont really see the need to replace everything as quickly as others do. I just like how it doesn't leak for me and its quick and easy to disconnect in the middle of the night. I can either pull off the tube connector or unsnap one side of the mask.

Hope this helps.

Suzy

Compliant since Jan '06
Auto Bipap, Biflex 3, Humidifier 2, PS 7, IPAP 14/EPAP 7
Avg AHI 0.5- 1.0

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:13 pm

Make sure you get the right size. According to my measurements, I could have gone either way in sizes (right on the borderline) but went with the "large standard" UMFF and was very glad I did. Haven't had ANY problems with marks, sores, or any other things that have been reported. Going on 18 months with this (first) mask and it just seems to get more comfortable and the leak numbers are still very good.

Good luck,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

cwsanfor

Post by cwsanfor » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:22 am

Actually, I find the CF2 to be almost as comfortable as any other mask, and it gives me noticably better numbers. Although the HC432 is more comfortable, it seems to have caused some new and different skin ailment on both sides of my nose, not on the bridge, that's so bad I had to switch to the Hybrid last night, and my AHI more than doubled, as usual.

I definitely did not find the CF2 harder on my nasal bridge than the UMFF: they both wrecked my bridge until it toughened up (about two weeks). I used cortisone, antibiotic cream, and Activ Band Aids until then, and alternated with a nasal mask.

Unlike most, I prefer FF masks, because I find taping uncomfortable.

Vader

Re: FF Mask Dilemma

Post by Vader » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:32 pm

roadwarrior wrote:I am about to pull the trigger on either a Han Rudolph 7600 or a ResMed Ultra Mirage full face mask. I've narrowed it to these two as they have the best reputation overall.

I've never had any nose bridge issues with the Ultra Mirage™, and for me it's been the best FF mask( although I've never tried the HR)
In the past when I had nasal bridge irritation with other masks, I found that Nexcare gentle paper tape is excellent to put on the bridge to protect it.

Vader