Not sure what to do

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NyNurse33

Not sure what to do

Post by NyNurse33 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:01 am

I really want to give up.....I have been having rain out problems ever since getting the M auto series. Coincindence or not, its still there. I have been using the swift for 3 nights now, b/c even though there is rain out in the hose and mask, it does not get my face wet or go up my nose, which was happening with the CL2. The swift is ok, not as comfortable as my CL2 but for obvious reasons, I'm going to have to use it for now. But here's where I question whether or not its the machine. Last night it stayed around 68-70 in my house (warm day and night here in NY, even though it was raining), and I still had water in the hose!!! When I had the resmed escape, at the same room temp, I never had this problem. When I used the resmed, I had the humidifier set to 3, on the M series, I have it only set to 1. If I set it up any higher, I will still have rain out if not more, right? I know everyone has told me to get the aussie, and perhaps I will, but why would I need it with this machine and not the old one? I have the hose covered, machine only a few inches above the floor, the hose positioned correctly. Do I call DME and have them exchange this machine? I like having c-flex and auto. The humidifier seems to be working correctly. I have tested it on every setting and the water temp does get warmer with each number. Also, how do you properly dry out the hose everyday. I take mine off the mask and machine and hang it to dry, but it still has wetness in it even after over 12 hours of "drying".

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:26 am

I had a resmed initially and also switched to the M auto. With the resmed I noticed that even with the humidifier on 3, there was never rainout, but with the M, if I go above 1 or 2 it pours. The only conclusion/explanation that I can come up with is the M humidifier actually works as designed (I am not trying to blast resmend products, I use their masks) while the resmed did not heat as well in the 1 to 3 positions (I think I read here recently that someone else noticed that as well). So, it may be that the M humidifier actually functions properly while the resmed did not. Have you tried just having it work as a passover (zero setting)? For me, this does not really dry out my head as there is definitely some humidity in the air from the hose. Also, have you tried hose covers (I actually have one from offerocker here and it does work for me). I have the hose cover on all the time so maybe even on the zero setting it keeps the air from cooling too much. Hope this helps.

tmaiberger
(could not sign in)

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:33 am

That makes me feel better to know that someone else is having the same experience, I was beginning to think I was crazy. I did try it "off" and I had a horrible stuffy/runny nose the next day, but may that was a coincindence. I'll try again. I do have a hose cover. Thanks.

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:55 am

I use an "Aussie Heated Hose" and I've noticed that I can run humidifier
level 2 with my CL2, but I must leave the humidifier heat off and the hose
on, to keep the Hybrid from getting too wet. This was also the case with the HC421 I tried.

People have more fun than anybody..

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:32 am

thanks...I would buy into the fact that it is related to my mask, except I was using the CL2 with the escape too and didn't have rain out.
~Melissa~

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:56 am

I suggest seeing an ENT and exploring surgery options available, with that option you don't have to think.

you are not cut out to tolerate cpap.

birdshell

Re: Not sure what to do

Post by birdshell » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:02 am

NyNurse33 wrote:I really want to give up.....(snip)

Melissa....

If you REALLY wanted to give up, why did you post here?

See, you were just frustrated and with good reason!

I'm glad you posted INSTEAD of giving up, because you got some answers that make sense to me. Keep up the good work, and you WILL figure out what works for you. There are a lot of Forum Folk standing by to help.

Karen

P.S. GoofyUT (Chuck) told me that the ResMed machines do not heat much (if at all) until turned up to 4. I don't experience rainout unless the room is very cold, and even then there is not a lot--just some droplets in the hose and nasal interface.

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:46 am

Melissa...I'm running the same equipment as you have. With the humidifier setting on "2", I'm close to "rainout"...but not quite. The machine is at head level.....the hose goes 24" up the back side of the headboard......straight out 12" on a swinging arm....then straight down to the CL-2. The hose is covered with what I think they call the "Snugglehose Cover". the room temperature stays between 70 and 75 degrees. The humidity in the room stays around 42%. I'm just not having any trouble....and the CL-2 is delightfully comfortable (after modifying with the garbage-tie trick). Leakage is minimal because I'm applying lanolin to the nares (the stuff breastfeeding moms use).

It might not be a bad idea to invest in a battery powered indoor-outdoor thermometer. They're available in the garden section of Lowe's or Home Depot....just a few bucks. Use the external temperature probe to check the temperature of your hose.....be sure it isn't next to something that makes it "cold"...a draft from a window...a poorly insulated wall.....anything that can cool the hose and cause internal condensation to form on the inside lining. Use that probe to check the temperatures near and on the hose.

The solution to your problem has got to be simple.....Try running the humidifier at "0" (no heat).....the air has to pass over the water anyway...so, you'll get some humidification....even without heat.

Finally, my last thought is that SOMETHING has got to be cooling that hose off.....that's only way you're going to get condensation inside. Keep the hose from cooling off and I think you'll solve the problem.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:56 am

I have never seen such a simple horse flogged so bad. AND also thank you to the last guest, who is truly a fool. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:14 am

Melissa,

Since I have no idea what I am talking about, I will throw some ideas.

With the Comfort Curve, the humidity was set to 3.

Now, with the Swift, the humidity is set to 5. My biggest problem, the water runs out after about 8 hours of sleep.

I have noticed that if I fill the chamber to much, even a bit over the line that at 5, there will be water dropplets when I first turn on the APAP for a few minutes. (I keep wiping my nose.) I assuming this is the moisture from the humidifier, it may be residual moisture from the hose. In the morning I will notice some moiture in the nasel air of the mask. My hose is covered with a snuggly. I even used part of the snuggly that was for the Y tube of the CC to cover the hose that comes with the swift. I do not have the hose over my head. Like I stated in one of your earlier post's, I have the hose clipped on me, not over my head.

I wonder if since I have leakage (50's) that some moisture escapes.

I shake out the hose/mask then hang it up.

The humidity that you get in the hose, does not only depend on the temerature of the room. In a humid room there will be more moisture going up the hose then in a room that has less humidity.

As to whether or not you decide to keep this machine, it is up to you. I personally do not think there is a perfect interface or a machine.

You have to keep going forward to better and better. If you are that unhappy change it. If it something that you can live with because you like the features, then you keep it.

Have you tried the Aussie hose that others suggested?

It is only you alone each night trying to get quality sleep.

I will keep looking for an interface that will give me a good night sleep.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:58 am

Anonymous wrote:I suggest seeing an ENT and exploring surgery options available, with that option you don't have to think.

Wow, well aren't you pleasant. I'm sorry if I am bothering you, but you can choose not to read my posts, I unlike you, do post with my identity. Or I suggest you see a neurosurgeon and have a lobotomy done, obviously you are not cut out for human kindness!!

~Melissa~

kteague

Rainout difference between machines & masks

Post by kteague » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:56 pm

Melissa,

I could post stuff about having no rainout problem, but I've only used one brand of machine and my mask experience is limited also. It was good for me to read this thread because I do expect my experience with manufacturers to change at some point.

A few months ago on a "bootleg" message board, some person asked if anyone else had PLMD. When I responded that I did, another post appeared telling us that PLMD and RLS are not real, that the symptoms are planted in the minds of patients by doctors who are in cahoots with the pharmaceutical companies. My response was something like "It's a narrow world we live in when we have an 'if it didn't happen to me it didn't happen' mentality. If I added to your frustration by giving my narrow experience on this matter when you asked about this recently, I apologize.

As much as I am attached to this forum, I wish it could go out of business because everyone could be immediately and thoroughly successful with every aspect of their cpap therapy. Since that's not the case, we remain here for each other's encouragement and support, even when the problem may not be the same as our own. Hang in there.

Kathy

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:07 pm

With AUSSIE HEATED HOSE and CL2:
Humidifier at 1, + hose on = No rainout
Humidifier at 2 + hose on = No rainout.
Humidifier at 3 + hose on = rainout

With AUSSIE HEATED HOSE and Hybrid:
Humidifier at 1 + hose on = wet face and slippery mask.
Humidifier off + hose on is much better, but it still gets a bit slippery.
(I'm beginning to think I'm drooling or perspiring)

Thought; Do you have a section of the hose higher than both you
and your xPAP? I think it helps to have a portion of the hose elevated.

People have more fun than anybody..

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:19 pm

I have the non-M auto. With my HH on 3 I have no rainout with the hybrid. I got the aussie hose because my nose was freezing. Will the DME allow you to try a non M machine to see if it helps? I know how hard you are trying to make this work. I wish there was more I could do to help.

Brenda

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:21 pm

NyNurse33 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I suggest seeing an ENT and exploring surgery options available, with that option you don't have to think.

I suggest you see a neurosurgeon and have a lobotomy done, obviously you are not cut out for human kindness!!

Melissa, that was priceless! Good for you! (It was almost worth having to read the guest's stupid post just to see your excellent response!) BTW, I'm pretty sure he already had the lobotomy....