Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jen4700

Re: Newbie would like to hear success stories, please.

Post by jen4700 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:25 am

I've been on CPAP for 3 weeks. I took to it like a duck to water. An I look forward to going to bed every night.

The first thing I noticed was the morning headaches were gone. Then I was able to work all day without going home and taking a nap. My attitude is better. I have more patience. I even got up and exercised this morning.

I consider this chapter one of my success story. I think it will be a long road. I'm still fatigued but I am feeling better everyday!

dsm1954@hotmail

Post by dsm1954@hotmail » Tue May 15, 2012 2:37 pm

1cb1ta6Newbie, First make sure you don't have any leaks during the night, I have to use a strap to get my mask leak free. Second, make sure there is nothing else that's making you tired. I know there really is no true word for what you feel, tired and sleepy doesn't cut it. Through the years (I've been on CPAP and BiPAP for over 10 years) I needed to be treated for bo-polar, that helped a lot. Then I have body jerks that also rob me of good sleep. NOW, I am a diabetic who just won't change my eating. If I would make some "life style changes" I hate that phrase, I would probable feel much better. BUT I am much better than I was years ago!!! Being tired can get complicated, but it's worth it.

ecommunicator

Post by ecommunicator » Sat May 19, 2012 12:40 pm

I have been using the machine for approx 8 months and the improvements in my overall physical wellbeing are pretty impressive - the obvious ones are that I don't snore, don't wake-up alot at night and my wife sleeps better. Not so obvious are that I don't get the afternoon fatigues - and - my blood pressure is down substantially, my cholsterol reading is much improved and my overall wellbeing has a much rosier outlook. The mask is second-nature now and the machine is my friend and we travel everywhere together. Stay the course - you'll begin to notice subtle benefits that will make you a healtheir person.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 21, 2012 1:39 pm

For Type 2 diabetics who have difficulty with their eating habits; know that cravings are caused by high blood sugar.
They resemble hunger, and may be even stronger. If you can keep your blood sugar in the 90-110 range,
the cravings will not be as fierce, and can go away entirely. I found that by eliminating nearly all empty carbohydrates,
my cravings vanished and my insulin requirement dropped.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Tue May 22, 2012 4:52 pm

I ran the same road race--Big Backyard 5K--in May 2011, after three months on CPAP, and in May 2012, after fifteen months on CPAP.

I felt like I was putting forth the same amount of effort both races.

My time in 2012 was fifteen minutes less than my time in 2011. Identical course.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

beddersleeper

Post by beddersleeper » Tue May 22, 2012 9:20 pm

I love my mask. I love going to sleep. I love waking up without brain fog. It only took me one night to get used to wearing it. I think it may be a bit too big. Will call to have that checked. Saw my doctor last week and he was so pleased with my print-out that he wants to make me the "honorary poster person" that CPAP machines do help. I have always liked the feeling of air on me. I open my window in the middle of winter. Always have a fan on above me. I am extremely claustrophobic but after the first night that was not a problem. It's not perfect yet. I've taken it off during my sleep a couple of times, I feel like I am in such sync with the machine. The machine is like a partner . I breath and the machine responds by giving me this nice cool air to take in. I really do like it. My brain fog is lifting. All is pretty good with this.
I'm all for better sleeping. Aren't you?

jillj

Post by jillj » Sun May 27, 2012 12:12 pm

I've been using the lovely elephant hose to the nose since Febr and was a bit disappointed to not feel instant results. I could be in bed for 12 hours but was never hitting that deep REM type of sleep so I always felt tired, I would have little spazz moments where I would jerk my leg or whatever, gasp for breath now and then, snored, breathing through my mouth mostly. I do find the constant air flow to be quite soothing. I still wake up for washroom visits and I still lay in bed far too long for my liking, maybe just apathy. I still yawn in public a fair bit which is something I hoped would change. I have only tried 2 different masks and the machine I use is one my daughter had but refused to use, instead of starting over and paying out all that money, we decided to go with it, but it is definitely an older noisier model, doesn't have all the newest bells and whistles, can't adjust humidity. My husband has been using his machine and mask for over 6 years and won't attempt sleeping without it, he still naps during the day when he is off but overall feels much better. I guess, in time, I will get there too. It's great to have this forum to compare notes, thanks!

HoseheadUK

Post by HoseheadUK » Thu May 31, 2012 11:50 am

Just wanted to share my own success story. Went to the sleep clinic yesterday and found that, with treatment, my AHI had dropped from 81 to 1!!!

I feel brilliant, best I've felt in years. Yes here have been teething troubles, but to anyone new to CPAP like me, I would encourage you to keep going - it works! I've started referring to my CPA as The Beloved Machine LOL

geezerpop

Post by geezerpop » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi all:
I just found this forum and after reading decided it was worthwhile. I have used CPAP every night for 25 years! My first machine was a cat carrier sized Respironics machine that drove the pump via belts! It worked the last time I tried to use it but it resides in the basement now.

CPAP therapy certainly works for me as without it my sleep pattern is breathe in, hold breath for 35 or 40 to 50 seconds, wake up briefly gasping, snorting, and snoring, for about 10 seconds and then back to sleep for another brief nap. 500 or 600 episodes per night. My first three sleep tests, first one 1984, I was a bit alarmed when the technician had to reach over and shake me awake as he thought I was going to die! This happened on subsequent tests too.

I came and found this forum because I am looking to replace my current machine. I have nearly 57,000 hours on it, but I have begun to worry that some night it will just quit. Mr Dr wrote me a new prescription and so I am looking to buy a new machine. I hope I can get one as durable as old faithful!

I hate dealing with insurance companies and have bought my own masks and filters via the internet for about 15 years. I will continue to be self-reliant as long as possible.

So far I am not impressed with the knowledge level of the reps from local medical supply places I have talked to. They seem to be only interested in getting me the particular line of machines they carry and their favorite masks. Some do not even have the right information about their own machines. One rep told me his/her machines would run on 12 volt power (a personal requirement for me). Web sources said the machine he/she wanted to place with me did not work off of a battery or 12 volt source! Another insisted that I give up my machine before I could get a new one. I asked why I couldn't keep it as an emergency backup. The answer was "NO! We don't do it that way because of insurance." I didn't even tell him/her what insurance coverage I had. It seems they all want to sell the most expensive machine that the insurance company will pay for and keep pushing out hight priced masks and hoses on some schedule.

As of now I will probably pay for one directly and buy it over the internet. Over twenty-five years I still have had only five hoses. Never had a hole in one! After a number of years they do tend to come loose from the machine and that is the only reason I have every had to replace one.

Masks are a different story.

More later

Geezerpop
Geezerpop

Machine too old to be listed
No humidifier
Various masks used

gertrude

Post by gertrude » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Dear Geezerpop,

This is a success story! I wonder what the longest CPAP use is on the forum. I suggest, however, that to get the kind of advice you are asking for, you should post a new thread with an informative subject. Perhaps something like "Experiened CPAPer needs advice on new machine to run on 12 volts." And click on the user control panel to show your current equipment.

Welcome to the forum. It has been very helpful for me.

geezerpop

Post by geezerpop » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm not so much interested in advice at this stage of my research. Internet searches turn up pretty much everything that is available. It is a matter or weighing must have features, size, weight, filter sizes and availability, etc. I will add that my current machine takes up so much room in my bag that there is not much room for much of anything else except one change of outfits and a second pair of shoes. I always have to have a second bag. My wife can travel with one bag and a small carry on.

We go overseas via air to visit our daughter about every two years. I have always been reluctant to carry the machine in my on board, and also reluctant to risk loosing it in a checked bag. So far it has never been lost, BUT as you know there is always a first time I will, however, post something like you suggest in the near future.

Bt the way, you wrote '"And click on the user control panel to show your current equipment." My streamlined browser is not showing a user control panel. Where is it? Maybe it will appear with another Mac compatible browser. I use four different ones (Using Camino now). I'll check the forum out with my other browsers. This browser also would not let me update or even start a profile. Not everything works on every browser but I am used to that.

Geezerpop
Geezerpop

No humidifier
Various masks used

keithwood99

Post by keithwood99 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 am

Hello,

I have been using my cpap machine for almost a month now and it has been great. I received the Resmed S9. I have a question about insurance. When the DME came out and set up my machine, they put a wireless modem on it to verify I was using it and to be able to download my results. After 30 days, they said I will receive an envelope to send the wireless modem back. My question is, once my doctor signs the affadavit that I have been in compliance (>4 a night), does the machine become mine? Just curious.

Thanks,
Keith

drstevej

Post by drstevej » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:11 pm

I googled this forum to get some perspective on what to expect. Last night was night #3 on the CPAP machine. I slept 3 hours, 3 hours and 4 hours. That better than waking every 1-1/2 hours. I am beginning to feel the results of catching up on the prolonged sleep deprivation. I am using a nasal mask and am getting use to having it on.

I am hoping it will help with my recent memory lapses and the mental and physical fatigue.

Overall I am encouraged.

Steve

geezerpop

Post by geezerpop » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:16 pm

drstevej wrote:I googled this forum to get some perspective on what to expect. Last night was night #3 on the CPAP machine. I slept 3 hours, 3 hours and 4 hours. That better than waking every 1-1/2 hours. I am beginning to feel the results of catching up on the prolonged sleep deprivation. I am using a nasal mask and am getting use to having it on.

I am hoping it will help with my recent memory lapses and the mental and physical fatigue.

Overall I am encouraged.

Steve
At this point I don't remember my first nights on the CPAP. I do know that the first night I slept better even with the air blowing and the machine's belts squeaking from time to time. Getting used to a mask was the hard part. It probably took me several weeks to get used to the idea. But the inrush of air was invigorating and i soon got used to a mask and straps.

Masks 25 years ago really were not that great, had lots of leaks or the flaps on the side buzzed and vibrated as air tried to escape. Still I slept better and with every passing night I slept longer and better, and so did friend wife! I never thought of giving up!

Changing other practices took much longer. I used to drink about 10 or 12 cups of coffee a day just to stay awake and snacked to get some sugar energy. Of course the sugar put on the weight which aggravated the Apnea. I was caught in a vicious circle and escape was not immediate! Now, I still drink coffee, but more for the enjoyment of it.

Keep at it drstevej!
Geezerpop

No humidifier
Various masks used

Dennis de NorthWet

Post by Dennis de NorthWet » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Eventually, after getting kicked out of the matrimonial bed for snoring better than a year ago, I got a sleep test. Then I got a prescription for a c-pap. Then I got used to the thing for a week.
Now back in bed with the wife! She says she has heard not a peep from me. Now I have to get used to sleeping with someone else again ;' >.

I took to the machine with no problem. Even slept well during the sleep test and titration. Some folks have problems adapting to the mask and all, but for me it was absolutely not an issue.
What was my "secret"? So happens I'm a retired SCUBA Instructor/occasional commercial diver. Masks and hoses and remote air supplies are something I got used to long ago. Having one's air supply mere inches away and quiet is very peaceful indeed. So, perhaps if you want a head start on c-pap usage, learning how to SCUBA dive might be the answer.

I'm sleeping longer, getting up less often in the night, and with the humidifier, my schnoz and sinuses are in a much better condition in the morning. Try it. You'll probably like it!

Regards.
Dennis