Advice on how to tell my nephew he should be tested fir OSA

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bettiola

Advice on how to tell my nephew he should be tested fir OSA

Post by bettiola » Fri May 12, 2017 7:29 pm

My nephew is in his late 40's, snores loudly, is heavy, and complains of being sleepy all the time. OSA runs in the family - I have it, one of my brother's has it, and my niece (sister of my nephew) has it. I've mentioned two or three times it would be a good idea for him to talk to his doctor about it and get tested. He says he'll mention it to his doctor, but then doesn't follow up on it. His sister has also mentioned it to him. Neither of us wants to be considered a nag (and he can be touchy). I'd like to send him a link to one of those online questionnaires that determine if you should be tested, as a first step. Can any of you recommend a good one and any suggestions about how to approach this?
Thanks!

Bill44133

Re: Advice on how to tell my nephew he should be tested fir OSA

Post by Bill44133 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:48 pm

bettiola wrote:My nephew is in his late 40's, snores loudly, is heavy, and complains of being sleepy all the time. OSA runs in the family - I have it, one of my brother's has it, and my niece (sister of my nephew) has it. I've mentioned two or three times it would be a good idea for him to talk to his doctor about it and get tested. He says he'll mention it to his doctor, but then doesn't follow up on it. His sister has also mentioned it to him. Neither of us wants to be considered a nag (and he can be touchy). I'd like to send him a link to one of those online questionnaires that determine if you should be tested, as a first step. Can any of you recommend a good one and any suggestions about how to approach this?
Thanks!
I would show him this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c

This video put the whole thing in perspective for me. It might influence him to go get tested.

Good Luck!

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

rohdej

Post by rohdej » Fri May 12, 2017 11:10 pm

The questioners i think don't work that well. If you answered the questions about him and he answered the questions about him self they would look very different!

For me it was doesn't everybody like to sleep in on the weekend?( i could sleep 12-18 hrs). Doesn't every body get sleepy at night?( Twice a week i would pull over half way home in a 10 mile trip from work to walk around the car) Wife would say i snored like a freight train and would stop breathing for 25 seconds. ( I'd say you snore too!)

It wasn't till the frequent trips to the bathroom (Nocturia) after bed time and not making it more and more that i finally decided that I needed to figure it out and finally get tested.

I was in drowning in the river of Denial!

Just keep asking him about headaches in the morning, Who caught you sleeping at work this week? Why are you falling asleep at every family gathering? Are you wetting the bed yet? (This one may shut him down, But it is the one I talk about my self doing the most, because people think Cpap is shame full. No, wetting the bed because I am an idiot is shameful!)

Talk about your Cpap machine like you would a new car with the other users in your family. How your life has changed sense you started. Let him hear the rest of the relatives experiences. Get your self some backup! let him hear that it is possible to feel better.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Fri May 12, 2017 11:24 pm

You have mentioned it multiple times, and he has decided not to address it. HE has made his choice, leave it be. If on the other hand, he mentions some kind of issue, you can let him know how well you xPAP solved that issue for you.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

bettiola

Post by bettiola » Sat May 13, 2017 1:14 am

Thank you Bill, Rohdej and TASmart - different perspectives and all valuable to ponder! Bill, I will check out the link, thank you, and thank you Rohdej for sharing your experience and good suggestions. Thank you, TASmart, i understand what you're saying, people need to make their own decisions, you can't make them for them, but I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet.

HannaJ

Post by HannaJ » Sat May 13, 2017 1:24 am

Does death scare him? One of the techs at my supply store told of her father and uncle who both died young because they were too macho to get checked for apnea. Also, it seems that we now know why people sleep. At least one reason is that, during certain phases of sleep, the brain cleans itself of debris and detritus produced by its daytime activity. If this debris is not cleaned up, it builds up and various sorts of dementia result, including Alzheimer's disease. I'm sure a more-detailed and accurate explanation is available in various places, but a man in his 40s should righteously fear developing early Alzheimer's or another neurodegenerative disorder that gradually reduces him to a helpless and totally dependent person suffering great bouts of negative emotion, and slowly losing his mind. If wetting the bed isn't scary enough, maybe this would be. Educational videos can be hard to stick with. I'd look for personal stories of loved ones lost unnecessarily because they were too stubborn or lazy or macho to go to the doctor. Or maybe stories from sufferers themselves who are facing a terrifying future.

If scare tactics don't work, nagging probably won't either. He has to decide for himself. He also has to care enough about himself to take care of himself. I hope he comes around.

Additional Comments: Pressure 16; heat 2-4 dep. on room temp. I've tried FP Simplus masks and PR nasal pillow mask with chin strap and mouth tape.
HannaJ

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sat May 13, 2017 2:00 am

I would suggest guilt as a motivator. If he is a responsible citizen and also a driver then he needs to know that eventually he might have an accident that could maim or kill someone else.