Changing mask type for the first time in 7 years. Suggestion

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lebowski8

Changing mask type for the first time in 7 years. Suggestion

Post by lebowski8 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 pm

So I've been using a full face mask for 7 years. However during my first year of therapy, I used the Swift FX. After a few months of therapy, I realized I was mouth breathing. I tried chin straps and tape. The I went to the full face mask. Never looked back.

I've used various full face RESMED masks, the Quattro Mirage. Now the Quattro FX. It's been great. My numbers are good, etc.

But a lot has changed in 7 years. I weigh about 60 pounds less than the old days, and my BP is under control.

So here's the deal: I hate traveling with the full face mask!! I can't wait until the Micro-CPAP Airing device comes to market!

Whether by air or by car, there's always risk of the mask being crushed (it's happened twice), or dropped and cracking on a non-carpeted floor (once). I put it in a sturdy rubbermaid container, but even then, the worst has happened. Now, both times, clear packing tape fixed it until I got home and could order a replacement. And the thing is bulky, taking up quite a bit of room in baggage, whether checked, carry-on, or just in the trunk of the car.

I'm going to Ecuador in April, for about a month. i checked MercadoLibre, and cpap masks are available-- and pricey, but in the worst case...). From personal experience, shipping and getting anything through customs is expensive and slow. could be 10 days after ordering a replacement from the USA!

What nasal masks can you recommend where crushing/breaking/snapping isn't as much of a concern?

I figure I'd order one now, test it for a month, see how the numbers are, and if it works, travel with the new mask

Thanks in advance!
Hoser since April 2009.
Feb 2009: AHI 45.8 | BP 142/97 | SpO2: 78.9%
2016: AHI 0.9 | BP 122/81 | SpO2: 96.5%

Stranger: How things been goin'?
The Dude: Ahh, you know. Ups and downs, strikes and gutters.

Pugsy

Re: Changing mask type for the first time in 7 years. Suggestion

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 am

Do you still have any Swift FX stuff? If you have the headgear and short hose you can get the Swift FX Nano nasal cushion and try it with the old Swift FX stuff. It will fit...I have done it.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html
So all you would have to buy would be the cushion and it wouldn't cost so much.
The only hard plastic is that tiny bit in the frame where the pillow/cushion attaches.

There's the Respironics DreamWear. Fairly new and a nice little mask with no hard pieces to get stepped on to break.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... -pack.html

You can look at what is available
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-cpap-mask.php

See if something sparks your interest.

For a full face mask have you seen the Respironics Amara View? Minimal hard plastic on it.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-ama ... -pack.html

There are the soft cloth masks too. Have you seen them?
Circadiance makes those and they even have a full face mask.

If you still have some Swift FX gear...try the Nano cushion. It's a pretty nice little nasal cushion mask and it won't cost you a lot to try it.

The other alternative is to use cpap.com return insurance...some of these masks have free return insurance (be sure and read up on the return policy).

If something else sparks your interest...I have a handful of nasal cushion masks (don't remember which ones) let me know and I might have something you can just have for cost of postage. I have a few donated masks...barely used and certainly with enough life left in them for what you are wanting one for.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the specific ones I mentioned above. I don't have a Nano or Amara View or any Cloth masks or the DreamWear. Most of what I might have are the more traditional nasal masks with a plastic frame like your full face mask has.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lebowski8

Post by lebowski8 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:16 am

Unfortunately, i threw out those Swift FX about 2 years ago. I hadn't used them in years! It also reminds me-- where did I put those electrical adapters i have never used? going to have to go through some boxes in the garage!

thanks for your suggestions!!
Hoser since April 2009.

lebowski8

Post by lebowski8 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:33 am

Pugsy wrote:
There's the Respironics DreamWear. Fairly new and a nice little mask with no hard pieces to get stepped on to break.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... -pack.html

If something else sparks your interest...I have a handful of nasal cushion masks (don't remember which ones) let me know and I might have something you can just have for cost of postage. I have a few donated masks...barely used and certainly with enough life left in them for what you are wanting one for.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the specific ones I mentioned above. I don't have a Nano or Amara View or any Cloth masks or the DreamWear. Most of what I might have are the more traditional nasal masks with a plastic frame like your full face mask has.
Pugsy, thanks for your offer, very sweet and kind. I've got excellent insurance,please save the masks for a future needy soul who is down on their luck.

I think the Respironics DreamWear is just what i need!

It's amazing how much new stuff is in CPAP land. I've been on autopilot, re-ordering the same replacements every winter for so many years I haven't bothered to browse and shop!
Hoser since April 2009.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:50 am

lebowski8 wrote: I can't wait until the Micro-CPAP Airing device comes to market!
:ROFL:

don't hold your breath.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lebowski8

Post by lebowski8 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:58 am

palerider wrote:
lebowski8 wrote: I can't wait until the Micro-CPAP Airing device comes to market!
:ROFL:

don't hold your breath.
Good pun! I saw what you did there
Hoser since April 2009.

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:13 am

If you breath thru your mouth how will the airing devise work for you? Doesn't it just go in your nose or am I wrong?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:02 am

If you find that mouth breathing is still a problem, you could try the cervical collar, headband combination that some use to control the mouth breathing.There not to hard to pack.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:23 am

bmanley wrote:If you breath thru your mouth how will the airing devise work for you? Doesn't it just go in your nose or am I wrong?
The Airing device is a joke at best, a scam of investors at worst. Will never get to market.

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:30 am

I use the Dreamwear and couldn't imagine using anything else. I just wad it up in the case with the machine when I travel. Mouth breathing will be an issue. If you have nasal restrictions the mask can get really noisy. By the chart I am a medium but at times I use the large to reduce noise. They only have three frame sizes and they jump by 2 inches. Think of buying shoes with only three sizes. I am slightly larger than medium and can not use the side pads. The mask just won't stay in place when they are used. I use the adhesive qualities of frame to keep it positioned on my face. Be well shaved. Most of the time it is effortless to use, other times you seem to fiddle forever. The vent on the top of head gets noisy if close to a pillow. Keep that space clear.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 am

I don't recommend changing the mask type immediately prior to travel. Make sure you're good and comfortable with the new one before travel. Have the old one on had in case of issues with the new one for a good week or two.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am

D.H. wrote:I don't recommend changing the mask type immediately prior to travel. Make sure you're good and comfortable with the new one before travel. Have the old one on had in case of issues with the new one for a good week or two.
Do you not bother reading all of what someone says or do you have trouble understanding what they say?
Or do you just like to type?

Here's a really telling remark from the OP.
lebowski8 wrote:I figure I'd order one now, test it for a month, see how the numbers are, and if it works, travel with the new mask

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:53 am

lebowski8 wrote:I think the Respironics DreamWear is just what i need!
It's a nice little mask with no hard plastic anywhere to maybe break.

Make sure you get the mask package that included the "fit pack" so that you get all the sizes of cushions available.
Will make figuring out your size so much easier and in your case faster.
The mask package is offered 2 ways by Respironics.

The fit pack packaging has all the different sizes of the cushion part which fits under the nose.

There is also a package that has just one size cushion thingy. Best to get the package with all the sizes.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Pugsy wrote:
. wrote:I don't recommend changing the mask type immediately prior to travel. Make sure you're good and comfortable with the new one before travel. Have the old one on had in case of issues with the new one for a good week or two.
Do you not bother reading all of what someone says or do you have trouble understanding what they say?
Or do you just like to type?
:giggle:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lebowski8

Post by lebowski8 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Pugsy wrote:
lebowski8 wrote:I think the Respironics DreamWear is just what i need!
Make sure you get the mask package that included the "fit pack" so that you get all the sizes of cushions available.

The fit pack packaging has all the different sizes of the cushion part which fits under the nose..
The fit pack is what I'll order on cpap.com

I've had very good luck over the years with medium masks fitting on my average head.

20-30 days will be long enough to experiment. Best case-- I've got a new travel alternative mask. Worst case-- I've got to do exactly what I've been doing for the last 7 years! And cross my fingers that it arrives in Guayaquil ok. I'm also travelling with my 4 year old machine, not the new one I got in November. That stays safely in Ohio, with my old backup masks.

If the mask or CPAP breaks-- I get to REALLY test how much Spanish I've learned in the last 12 months!
Hoser since April 2009.