Power Outage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bt_rox88

Power Outage

Post by bt_rox88 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:33 am

I was wondering what happens to CPAP users during a power outage. If I have my mask on, I find it difficult to breath unless the machine is on. Is it possible to suffocate if you are sleeping with CPAP mask on and the power goes out?

I searched the forum for this topic, but most of the questions seemed to be related to damaging machine during power outage.

Thanks,
BT
Machine: Phillips Respironics Dreamstation
Mask: Phillips Respironics Nuance Pro

Pugsy

Re: Power Outage

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:42 am

Normally people wake up when the air flow gets stopped by a power outage because it's uncomfortable.
We won't suffocate though..there's enough air movement to prevent suffocation. It might not be all that comfortable but we won't suffocate.
If this is something that bugs you and you want to make sure you will wake up with a power outage you can get a little alarm to let you know the power went off.
Search the internet for "power outage alarm"....many, many to choose from.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 am

bt_rox88 wrote:I was wondering what happens to CPAP users during a power outage. If I have my mask on, I find it difficult to breath unless the machine is on. Is it possible to suffocate if you are sleeping with CPAP mask on and the power goes out?

I searched the forum for this topic, but most of the questions seemed to be related to damaging machine during power outage.

Thanks,
BT
You are using a nasal mask....power goes out...open your mouth. Even a full face mask has an anti asphyxia valve to allow you to breath with the mask on and power out. Actually, it happened to me last week. I was watching TV and put on my FF mask and forgot to turn on the CPAP. I went to sleep and slept for 4-5 hours without the machine running.

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:07 am

I just had this problem last night. It took me about 30 min to wake up, according to the sleepyhead data. It felt as though i had extreme nasal congestion, there was certainly o danger of suffocating.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:37 am

hpm08161947 wrote:I just had this problem last night. It took me about 30 min to wake up, according to the sleepyhead data. It felt as though i had extreme nasal congestion, there was certainly o danger of suffocating.

I don't think it really took 30 minutes to wake up. Please check the time setting on you CPAP machine.

Note also that all full-face masks have anti-asphyxia valves (or they would not be approved by the FDA)!

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:22 pm

I have slept more than 30 minutes with the machine off while wearing a full face mask (Quattro Air). As near as I can tell, I'm still alive.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:07 pm

hpm08161947 wrote:I just had this problem last night. It took me about 30 min to wake up, according to the sleepyhead data. It felt as though i had extreme nasal congestion, there was certainly o danger of suffocating.
if the power was out, where'd the sleepyhead data come from?

also, did you die of suffocation?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Many years ago, I had a power failure (plug fell out of the wall socket) and I didn't wake up for 45 minutes. I checked in Encore and there was a 45 minute gap in the data so I'm sure.

SleepyHead is reliable enough so that the poster who reports 30 minutes is likely correct from looking at the SleepyHead data. I've not found any significant discrepancies in elapsed time reported. I always struggle with getting the start time to correspond to the wall clock time though.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:35 pm

bt_rox88 wrote:I was wondering what happens to CPAP users during a power outage. If I have my mask on, I find it difficult to breath unless the machine is on. Is it possible to suffocate if you are sleeping with CPAP mask on and the power goes out?

Thanks,
BT
Get a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply - battery backup protection).
They're very affordable and will help protect your equipment. Check with Walmart (online or in the store). They typically have CyberPower and APC models in stock.......or you can order them (online) for delivery to your store.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:50 pm

I have thought about getting a propane generator or a DC power brick.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-2- ... /202222976

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Jack Burton wrote:I have thought about getting a propane generator or a DC power brick.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-2- ... /202222976
Just the thing for a soothing night's sleep. And I'm sure your neighbors will appreciate it.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:41 pm

JDS74 wrote: I always struggle with getting the start time to correspond to the wall clock time though.
ah, the 'benefits' of respironics.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:50 pm

palerider wrote:
if the power was out, where'd the sleepyhead data come from?

I used the time that the SleepyHead data stopped to determine the time when the machine died and the time I actually realized what was going on and therefore awake from a glance at my cellphone. I was struggling but could suck air through the machine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:05 pm

hpm08161947 wrote:
palerider wrote:
hpm08161947 wrote: there was certainly o danger of suffocating.
I was struggling but could suck air through the machine.
I take it that means you didn't die of suffocation...

next time, open that hole under your nose, people can breath through there, no danger.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:43 pm

People with colds do it all the time....nose stuffed? Breathe through your mouth.