Which travel machine to choose?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ktmtrailrider

Which travel machine to choose?

Post by ktmtrailrider » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:38 pm

I'm doing a lot more traveling for work, and would prefer to have a smaller more portable unit to use for that purpose. My regular machine is a Phillips Resperonics, System One Auto A Flex. Any suggestions on what machine would be best? I would like to have humidification if possible, but can live without data if need be.
Thanks for everyone's help!

D.H.

Re: Which travel machine to choose?

Post by D.H. » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:54 pm

First, make sure that the unit really is significantly smaller when adding a humidifier. Sometimes, the unit is smaller to begin with, but no so much once you add an "optional" humidifier. Also, many travel units don't have all the features you're used to such as leak compensation. They also might not be as quiet. Generally, they will have altitude adjustment, as they are meant for travel.

Last edited by D.H. on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:47 pm

IMO the best way to handle it is to get the identical make/model cpap you have now (a Phillips Resperonics, System One Auto A Flex.) and mask, etc. Keep them packed in a carryon size suitcase (w/wheels) with any supplies or meds you need. When you return home your cpap is already setup and ready for a nap - no fuss.

Be sure to keep a power strip, ext. cord, a variety of AC adapters, and spare filters. mask, and any other things you use with you cpap. I also keep an LED nite lite which doubles to check AC outlets for power.

Oh and do not forget to get a DC power cord so should the power go out where ever you are all you will need is a car or a battery. Hopefully you will have a battery at home but I do like to keep a DC power cord with me when I travel too.

This way when you get supplies they will fit both cpaps AND you will have no problems using or setting any features. With the added bonus of having working spare parts when things go wrong.

But hey you can buy whatever it is you "think" you want.
ktmtrailrider wrote:I'm doing a lot more traveling for work, and would prefer to have a smaller more portable unit to use for that purpose. My regular machine is a Phillips Resperonics, System One Auto A Flex. Any suggestions on what machine would be best? I would like to have humidification if possible, but can live without data if need be.

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:15 pm

The Apex XT Fit range seems to be good for traveling, as the main unit is small, fairly light and has a built-in power supply (so no need for a separate adaptor). It's also cheap to buy, particularly if you just need a CPAP version, without data.

However, the optional humidifier makes it much bigger...

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 pm

ktmtrailrider wrote:I'm doing a lot more traveling for work, and would prefer to have a smaller more portable unit to use for that purpose. My regular machine is a Phillips Resperonics, System One Auto A Flex. Any suggestions on what machine would be best? I would like to have humidification if possible, but can live without data if need be.
As previously mentioned, get another one like your primary machine. They're getting cheaper and lightly used ones are easy to find since there are newer models coming out. That way, you have a simplified situation for parts and compatibility.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ktmtrailrider

Post by ktmtrailrider » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks all, I appreciate the input!

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:46 pm

If you travel by air you cant beat a travel machine. Owning both a full sized machine and a travel machine I can tell you that the travel machine is significantly smaller and lighter than my bedside unit even without the humidifier.

I need humidification to be comfortable but I get by with disposable HME (Heat Moisture Exchangers) which cost about 4 bucks each and I use them for about 2 weeks before I get a new one.

As for which brand, I'm very happy with the HDM Z1 family. I started with the Z1 CPAP and then after another Sleep Study moved to the Z1 Auto.

By Nature the smaller machines generate more noise and HDM has a "muffler" that they call the Q-Tube which takes care of most of that. I think noise is the number one complaint with the travel machines but it never bothered me either before or after getting the muffler.

I travel about 35-45 weeks a year by air and I would not be using my CPAP if I had to lug my bedside unit around...that's just me, maybe you wouldn't mind a third bag.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Good Luck
Bill

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Look up my machine on Cpap.com - I use it full time actually and love it, plus the humidifier's integrated (tho' removable) and you can get basic data too.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 pm

I do not own one of the Z1 Cpap travel machines, but if you are going to travel a lot, I think it would be worth the money. Recently saw one. You can fit the unit, cord, tube and your mask into a purse, that sucker is so small and light. It was fairly quiet as well. I think the mask will make more noise than the unit. The only concern I would have with this machine is that it is so small and light, you are likely to pull it off the side table. Finally, it has a 3 year warranty.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

y_not

Post by y_not » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:39 am

Hi,

I recently purchased a second machine because of travel & daytime sleeping on the sofa (just a lazy git!). I bought the Transcend http://www.mytranscend.com/ which is small, light AND has the optional battery pack (I bought the 8 hour version).

Negatives are, it's a little noisier than my Resmed Airsense 10 (but not enough to get the wife complaining), no humidifier (they do offer something at a price but I declined it) and the carry bag is too small to fit a mask into along with everything else and, personally I don't want to advertise the OSA while one side of the bag makes it VERY clear that it's a CPAP machine!

Plugs into the PC via supplied USB, uses their own software which is reasonable and overall I'm happy with it despite the niggles.

Pricewise, I guess there was little to choose between this and the Resmed but I did want smaller AND battery powered so I'm glad I didn't buy the same again

Hope it helps

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:02 am

SewTired wrote: The only concern I would have with this machine is that it is so small and light, you are likely to pull it off the side table. Finally, it has a 3 year warranty.
Hehe, I've probably awakened in the morning to find my Z1 on the hotel floor, or dangling by the hose a hundred times. It's a very rugged machine despite its light weight. In my backpack its been knocked about for years without incident.

What I usually do is stick it just under the bed covers and that keeps it in place all night.