Mask Frustrations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TinaD

Mask Frustrations

Post by TinaD » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Hello,
I was just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few weeks ago. On Wednesday of last week I received my CPAP machine, a Philips Respironics Dreamstation. I needed a full face mask since I become a mouth breather after I fall asleep. I was given a Elara (3B Medical) Full face mask. I am so frustrated! It is difficult enough to adjust to sleeping with gale force winds blowing in my face, but my mask leaks so much. I usually change the tightness, looseness of the straps about 50 times a night. However, I am continually waking up (if I am able to sleep at all) with leaks, and with the vent often blowing in my eyes should I try to sleep on my side. I usually sleep on my back 90 percent of the time, but occasionally sleep for a short while on my side. Since I started CPAP therapy, I have not yet had a decent nights sleep but I understand that is normal as it takes time to adjust. However, having a mask that leaks is not a good thing.

I went back to my DME and requested a size bigger mask and they gave me the same make/model. I thought if it was a bit bigger that if my mouth moved a little, it would still keep a seal, but it does not, it is worse. My mask (either size) works fine for the first 20 minutes or so, but after the ramping is done and I am up to full pressure, if my jaw relaxes or I slightly tilt my head 1/8 of an inch then the mask starts leaking again. I am soooooo frustrated!

I have been reading the forums and saw that some people have the same issue and that they have tried mask liners which may or may not help. I am unable to find any place that makes mask liners for the Elara, but I just today did order a sample pack to try. My husband suggested using vaseline around the seal. Not sure if that will work or will degrade the material, not that I care if it will degrade the material of the mask since a leaky mask is useless anyway. I do use Sleepyhead software which is awesome, and even that says that my mask leaks way too much.

Please, help! Any suggestions, feedback, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sheriff Buford

Re: Mask Frustrations

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Try a mask liner. You can make a home-made one out of an old T-shirt. Sketch the mask seal on a piece of paper or some construction paper. Cut the liner out, then trace the paper liner on the T-shirt. Leave enough on the sides so it doesn't slip off at night. Go to padacheek.com and see how they are made. If it works, order a professional made liner from padacheek.com. See if this works for you and report back.
Sheriff

TinaD

Post by TinaD » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:52 pm

Thank you, Sheriff. I am going to try that now. My husband is making a pattern for me on paper and then I will cut it out of an old TShirt and I will report back tomorrow.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:52 pm

The Vasoline is unlikely to help with the seal. Once your body warms it up a bit it will just sort of melt and lose what little tackiness it has.

Try a totally different full face mask if a mask liner (you can make your own with an old Tshirt) doesn't help.
Sometimes a person just doesn't do well with one brand mask because of facial structure.
Is there some sort of sizing template available so you can check to make sure about size?

Where is it leaking? Any special place or all over? There are better full face masks out there but they cost more and some DMEs prefer to stock the low budget masks from manufacturers like 3B. Insurance pays the same no matter which brand so DMEs dispense the ones that cost them the least.

You might go here and look at your full face mask options.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/full-face-cpap-mask.php

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

TinaD

Post by TinaD » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Thank you, Pugsy. It leaks different places different times. Yes, I will try the homemade mask liner tonight and if it does not work, then I will get back with my DME in the morning and request a different brand. I would really like to try the Ultra Mirage and/or the Mirage Quattro, it looks like many people use them and have success with them.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:16 pm

Tina: how did last night go?
Sheriff

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi Sheriff,

Thank you for asking.

Last night was not good, unfortunately the homemade mask liner did not help. Actually, it worked fine the first 30 minutes but then after that the leaking began. I layed completely still for the first 2 hours and that did not help, just by my jaw relaxing or my lips relaxing, it began leaking. I noticed the mask started creeping slowly up the bridge of my nose, only about an 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch and it started leaking, I must have pulled it back down 30 times last night. Oh well, it was worth a try.

I called my DME this morning to request a different brand of a mask and was told that I have to come in for a mask refitting tomorrow morning-it will be my 4th trip there within a week. I specifically asked them to try a different brand mask, and they said I could. We will see. I am beyond frustrated, and needless to say will be sleeping without my CPAP tonight. Which is quite unfortunate since according to Sleepyhead, my AHI is 16 and it even stated my mask is leaking way too much. If they do not give me a decent mask, I may buy a good one myself.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:10 pm

If you don't get a good mask alternative from your DME let me know. I might have something you can try without spending the big bucks. I don't remember exactly what all is in the donations box (items unwanted for whatever reason by other forum members but still could be used to help with mask experiments without breaking the bank).
I don't have time right now to go digging through the donations box but I can do it later if you need me to.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Good news. I went back to DME this morning for an appointment for a mask refitting. I was given a ResMed F10 for her. It appeared to be much better quality then the crappy Elara I had been trying to use, so I was feeling very hopeful. However, I just tried to take a nap and after 20 minutes of it being perfect, it started the farting, and I had to over-tighten it in order to make it stop which was quite uncomfortable and I couldn't sleep. So, I will try using mask liners after reading many other people on this forum had the same issue and found them to be helpful. I just ordered a free sample pack from RemZzzs and I will also order a washable one from pad a cheek. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will work....... If not, I am going to try just a nasal mask and chin strap.

TinaD

Post by TinaD » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:39 pm

LOL, I just figured out that I actually need to be logged in to post, otherwise I come up as guest.

Good news. I went back to DME this morning for an appointment for a mask refitting. I was given a ResMed F10 for her. It appeared to be much better quality then the crappy Elara I had been trying to use, so I was feeling very hopeful. However, I just tried to take a nap and after 20 minutes of it being perfect, it started the farting, and I had to over-tighten it in order to make it stop which was quite uncomfortable and I couldn't sleep. So, I will try using mask liners after reading many other people on this forum had the same issue and found them to be helpful. I just ordered a free sample pack from RemZzzs and I will also order a washable one from pad a cheek. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will work....... If not, I am going to try just a nasal mask and chin strap.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Read my blog post linked below for "Taming the Mirage Quattro". These techniques help with any air cushion mask.

I don't know your machine very well, but others can guide you to the "mask fit" feature (it may be called something different on your machine). What that does is temporarily increase the pressure to your maximum for fitting the mask. I think the problem you are having is that you are fitting the mask at the very lowest ramp pressure, and it cannot hold as the pressure increases. You need to fit the mask at the maximum amount of pressure, then it will hold as the pressure ramps up.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:53 pm

All those nasal masks are for the birds unless you stop your mouth breathing.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png