Freedom vs Medi-Pilot-24-2 Battery Packs

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KathyJL

Freedom vs Medi-Pilot-24-2 Battery Packs

Post by KathyJL » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi All!

Wanted to get some advice and/or recommendations for a battery pack to be used for airplane travel and car camping with my S9. In the past, I've used a big ol' heavy Black&Decker Powerstation, but I can't take that on a plane and we have an international trip this summer.

I recently discovered that using the humidifier prevents almost all of my migraines. So, I'd like to be able to use the humidifier on the plane, but worse case, I can use it passively and turn heat off to conserve power.

Anyway, at this point, I've narrowed it down to:
Freedom Travel Battery Pack
or
Med-Pilot-24-2
or any others you might suggest.

I'd especially love to hear from others who have an S9 and use a travel battery pack.
Thank you!!
Daily user of CPAP since 2009.
Use very low humidity or pass through.
Slightly heated hose. Hose cozy.
Masks: Alternate between N30i, Aloha, Tap Pap, & occasional BleepSleep.

Krelvin

Re: Freedom vs Medi-Pilot-24-2 Battery Packs

Post by Krelvin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:49 pm

You are not going to find a light weight battery back for an S9 CPAP machine that will run with the humidifier for any length of period of time. They just don't have enough capacity for the humidifier requirements. That includes using a heated hose.

If you do a search you will find a ton of threads about powering your CPAP via battery.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

KathyJL

Post by KathyJL » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks, Krevlin. I actually did some searching and could not find any recent posts specifically about Freedom or Medi-Pilot. I realize that the humidifier depletes the battery significantly, which is why I'm open to using it passively (no heat, no functionality other than air passes over water, no heated hose). Do you have any experience with either of those battery packs and the S9?
Daily user of CPAP since 2009.
Use very low humidity or pass through.
Slightly heated hose. Hose cozy.
Masks: Alternate between N30i, Aloha, Tap Pap, & occasional BleepSleep.

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:38 pm

They caution against using a filled humidifier on a plane because any turbulence in the flight can cause water to be injected into the hose and mask. That said you could do what race cars do and have like a foam mesh in the tank that would prevent sloshing. The added surface area would also increase evaporation. Think of those scotch brite pads and cut them to shape. It would be an interesting experiment.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW