How many CPAP or BIPAP Users are out there?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hindyg

How many CPAP or BIPAP Users are out there?

Post by Hindyg » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:27 am

How many of you use a CPAP or BIPAP for your sleep apnea?
What do you think the percentage is of people who have sleep apnea that use a BIPAP or CPAP machine?

LSAT

Re: How many CPAP or BIPAP Users are out there?

Post by LSAT » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:43 am

Hindyg wrote:How many of you use a CPAP or BIPAP for your sleep apnea?
What do you think the percentage is of people who have sleep apnea that use a BIPAP or CPAP machine?
Ridiculous question...99.99% of the people on this board use the device or are about to use it. It's a CPAP message board.
Anyone that knows they have SA and doesn't treat it is crazy.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Not nearly enough. But, as LSAT stated, the vast majority of those on this forum are dedicated users or trying to be.
Too many people give up on their therapy or refuse to use it when diagnosed. Too many others are undiagnosed.

Think about it when you read an obituary which says they "died suddenly in their sleep".
Others fall asleep at the wheel. Sometimes killing themselves or their passengers.
This has been a serious problem in the past with over-the-road truck drivers, although many companies are finally getting serious about their drivers complying with DOT regulations.

It's a health and life saver!

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Round numbers from various data sources:

Population USA: 320,000,000
With OSA: 20,000,000
With OSA diagnosis: 4,000,000
Use CPAP: 2,000,000

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:45 pm

sc0ttt wrote:Round numbers from various data sources:

Population USA: 320,000,000
With OSA: 20,000,000
With OSA diagnosis: 4,000,000
Use CPAP: 2,000,000
You forgot us that have more than one machine. We change the math. What he needs to know is how many XPAP machines are used each night. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Hindyg

Post by Hindyg » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:26 am

Thanks, Everyone!
I've noticed that outside of the US, doctors recommend it less and I'm curious about the overall numbers.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:27 am

Hindyg wrote:Thanks, Everyone!
I've noticed that outside of the US, doctors recommend it less and I'm curious about the overall numbers.
Two things I can think of is that outside of the US
  • 1. DME's and equipment are not as available
  • 2. Prob the reason for #1 is that doctors aren't as financially connected to the treatment/equipment part of it.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Me....me.... I have it!!

Sheriff

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Hindyg wrote:Thanks, Everyone!
Maybe that's why they are called third world countries, never fear as we are being taken over, we too will be a third world country, unless we get more liberal and go straight to fourth world status. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:44 pm

The majority here of the frequent posters use and promote PAP therapy, but many others who read the posts may be newly diagnosed and not yet treated or may be having difficulties obtaining/achieving effective treatment.

It is my opinion that in North America fewer than 10 percent of people who would benefit from PAP therapy have been properly diagnosed and that perhaps fewer than 20 percent of those diagnosed have received the help needed to get fully effective treatment. Others may have different opinions and estimates.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Hindyg

Post by Hindyg » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:27 am

I know that there are more men with sleep apnea than women, but all of the people who responded about BIPAP/CPAP use have been men. Are there no women out there? Do you think that women are less likely to use CPAP treatment from a purely aesthetic reason?

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 am

Hindyg wrote:I know that there are more men with sleep apnea than women, but all of the people who responded about BIPAP/CPAP use have been men. Are there no women out there? Do you think that women are less likely to use CPAP treatment from a purely aesthetic reason?

There are lots of women on this forum, and I am sure plenty more who use cpap. I don't know what percentage we have here, but some of it may just be timing. I work evenings, and usually spend time online after midnight. Had you not asked about women, I would not have answered since it seemed like the topic was being answered well enough.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:47 am

We have LOTS of women here. I didn't say anything in this thread because I didn't feel like there was anything to add.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Hindyg

Post by Hindyg » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:49 am

Thanks Zoocrewphoto and Pugsy!

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:48 am

Not sure I understand the point of the question.
If you have OSA and have been told you should use CPAP then.... why wouldn't you?

What difference does it matter how many others use it, in what countries, men or women?? Seriously.

Its like asking how many people wear seat belts before deciding if you should wear one.

Using CPAP if you were diagnosed to need it is for YOUR benefit, not others directly. Though I wouldn't want to be in a car that you hit because you fell asleep driving without my seat belt on.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin