How do you get your prescription?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
carolhalverson

How do you get your prescription?

Post by carolhalverson » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:19 pm

I have mailed letters to my sleep doctor 3 times and the last one I sent certified, but no response. Aren't we entitled to a copy of the script? I don't need a new machine now or anyuthing, but I would like to have a copy for my records. I also requested a copy of my sleep study and even offered to pay for the copying costs. No response.

(Actually, I have the REMstar Auto A-Flex )

Re: How do you get your prescription?

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:23 pm

carolhalverson wrote:I have mailed letters to my sleep doctor 3 times and the last one I sent certified, but no response. Aren't we entitled to a copy of the script?
Yes, we are. Sounds like you're going to have to show up in person to get what you want.

RedThunder94

Post by RedThunder94 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:51 pm

ditto on what guest said, you are absolutely entitled to a copy of your script, the actual copy of the polysomnogram may cost you a little for a copy. and stop playing mail tag with the doc, just go there and ask for everything in person.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:39 pm

if your doctor won't give you a copy of your records, find a new doctor. You have every legal right to a copy of all your medical records.

Do you know where you had your sleep study? Go back to the sleep lab and request a copy of the summary. If insurance has paid I would contact them and ask for a new doctor referral. Tell them the one you have is incompetent.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:16 am

I would think there would be a copy (or original) of it in one of your medical files (or at the DME's office). You may have to physically go visit some of these places to get your hands on it.

DEMAND IT!.....it's YOURS!

I took mine out of my sleep doctor's hand....the original.

He made a "suggestion" of where I could go to pick up my equipment. I DID visit them and saw how much they wanted for their stuff.....then went home and called CPAP.COM.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

caty

Post by caty » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:07 pm

When I requested mine by phone, doctor's office faxed me a medical record release form to sign. I indicated the records I wanted and faxed it to them. Try calling your doctor's office and see if that's the procedure they follow. Also find out the state agency that handles complaints against doctors, and if you have to, tell your doctor you will be reporting him for not complying with the law on getting copies of your medical records. Good luck!
"The road to success is always under construction!"

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:21 pm

I am guessing that this is like other areas where medical professional don't want to release stuff the the patient has a legal right to.

I consulted a close relative years ago when I wanted a copy of an xray that was done at a hospital. I was considering a second opinion and wanted to take the xray with me to the other doctor. My relative told me that it is or was, at least, in her hospital, standard procedure to tell the patient that they can't have it. Then if they really know their rights and press on they are provided with a copy. Most just go away without it. She didn't agree with this policy but that is how it was.

I went to the hospital armed with my information. I was nice and just asked for it. Then I was told exactly what my relative had warned me about (totally different hospital and different state). I just told them that it was mine and I wanted it. They caved quickly, but told me I had to pay a copy fee (fine, it wasn't much and copies don't grow on trees), and that I could only get one copy. I didn't bother with checking the legality of the one copy rule, but got what I needed.

Sounds a lot like getting a CPAP prescription.

For my CPAP prescription I didn't want a copy since the offical copy pad when copied says VOID. Doesn't seem to matter to Cpap.com or other local DME's that it is copied, but I personally want the original or a duplicate original.