Trouble Committing to CPAP- Now What?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kabuto

Trouble Committing to CPAP- Now What?

Post by Kabuto » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:35 am

Hi everyone,

I've had trouble committing to my CPAP machine. For a number of reasons:

The mask has been uncomfortable, and my sleepy self accidentally takes it off mid-sleep without thinking

The mask is on the floor for some reason when I wake up in the morning. Probably due to reason #1.

The hose itches my nose, and I've sometimes gotten a cold or whatever.

I've been too lazy to clean my machine

I've simply been unable to commit to it most nights, even when I make a pact with myself or make a conscious effort.

So: What do I do now? If I haven't been able to commit to my CPAP, what do I do about this lousy disease? And the depressive side effects that come from sleep apnea?

Sheriff Buford

Re: Trouble Committing to CPAP- Now What?

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 am

If you can't commit to treating this disease, then the apnea will attack your heart, lungs or other organs that will eventually make your life miserable and could eventually kill you. Place some tape on your mask (with one end on your face) so when you take your mask off at night, the pulling the tape off will awaken you. Get a hose cover so the hose won't "itch you". Get a pack of baby wipes (without alcohol and aloe), and wipe down your mask every morning. You don't clean the machine, just the mask. Stop making excuses. We all went through what you are going through. Be determine to make this work. It's all about attitude!
Sheriff

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:19 am

And don't just use a high humidifier setting (or any at all) if you don't need it depending on your climate, locale, season, etc. It can cause congestion if it's not needed or not needed at a high setting.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:47 am

Kabuto wrote:Hi everyone,

The mask has been uncomfortable, and my sleepy self accidentally takes it off mid-sleep without thinking

The mask is on the floor for some reason when I wake up in the morning. Probably due to reason #1.

I've simply been unable to commit to it most nights, even when I make a pact with myself or make a conscious effort.

So: What do I do now? If I haven't been able to commit to my CPAP, what do I do about this lousy disease? And the depressive side effects that come from sleep apnea?
Hi Kabuto,

Welcome to the forum.

What type of mask are you wearing and why it is uncomfortable? Depending on the situation, you may need to look into trying another one.

If you could use the link in my signature to register your equipment, that would be very helpful and help forum members tailor their answer to your specific situation. And if you could also include your pressure settings, that would be helpful.

I am wondering if you resolve the mask discomfort if that might strengthen your resolve to use the machine. And on a related note, how is your nasal breathing as a struggle with that can cause this.?

Don't give up, you can do this.

49er

lorib64

Post by lorib64 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:57 am

Kabuto

I am having trouble adjusting to wearing the Cpap, too. I take mine off knowingly, thinking I will put it back on and then fall back asleep. I am congested, too, But I think it really is a cold.

i just found this site and I am determined to keep trying. Have you spoke with a doctor about the benefits of controlling apnea?

Your insurance may cover replacement parts (mask, tubing etc), mine does

I have not been great about cleaning, either, but I do wipe out my mask as mentioned.

One thing they mentioned to me is that since my apnea is mild on my side, moderate overall, there is a support device that keeps you sleeping on your side. That could be an option for you, I don't know. They also recommended I lose weight and it may improve. I don't know if you have that issue.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:20 am

Get some therapy about why you are willing to abuse yourself and sabotage your health.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Kabuto

Post by Kabuto » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Would love to commit to using the machine: and I know I have to keep trying, I suppose...

Isn't there any way to get surgery or find some other alternative to this? I've heard about the dental piece as well..

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Kabuto wrote:Would love to commit to using the machine: and I know I have to keep trying, I suppose...

Isn't there any way to get surgery or find some other alternative to this? I've heard about the dental piece as well..
Keep trying Not, Do! Instead of working on ways to mutilate your body, put the same energy into reprogramming your mind to accept things you need to live better. When you decide to get your head straight, you will find XPAP easy, it's not heart failure of cancer. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

linuxman

Post by linuxman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Kabuto wrote:Would love to commit to using the machine: and I know I have to keep trying, I suppose...

Before formal diagnosis I used a dental device to just attempt to reduce my snoring (which I knew was likely apnea as well). It worked to reduce snoring, but was not workable in the long term. They are difficult to get used to (way more difficult than CPAP has been for me so far), and ultimately I had to stop using it because it moved my lower teeth forward to the point where my dentist was concerned I might loose my teeth. I have an overbite, so the pressure on the lower teeth to significantly move the jaw forward was very high.

I think there's a good reason CPAP is the standard go-to treatment. It's the most effective and has the least downside of the other options.

Surgery? Don't know. I knew one person that had some surgery to correct simple snoring, and it was effective for them. I don't know if one with full-on apnea could successfully be treated that way. I'm thinking CPAP is still your best choice, and you probably need to take each issue you have and work through solutions to fix one at a time. I think you can get there with that detailed focus.

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead software

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi Kabuto,

As an FYI, I found the dental device alot more uncomfortable than wearing the mask. But if you want to pursue this option, you might want to buy a cheap dental device that doesn't require it to be custom made to see get a sense of how comfortable you would be with having something in your mouth while sleeping.

Regarding surgery, reputable surgeons will not operate until you have tried pap therapy for 6 months. However, you might want to check this site out, https://www.inspiresleep.com/ and see if they require that you wait 6 months. I didn't see anything either way.

How long have you tried Pap therapy?

49er

Goldie54914

Post by Goldie54914 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:20 pm

I remember using the CPAP the first time. I didn't like it at first. It was very hard to adjust to.
First of all,make a point to clean out the machine every week or otherwise you could end up like me, getting a stuffy nose. That's what happens when the machine needs a cleaning.

Also I went through numerous masks before I found the one that worked well with my needs. Most CPAP users go through this. Schedule an appointment and inquire about a different mask. If you get a mask that works well for you, then you are most likely to not take it off in the middle of the night. You may want inquire about different hoses as well. It could be the hose that makes your face itch and makes you sick. Also cleaning the equipment on a weekly basis could help the illness situation. (Also you have to clean it more when you get sick)

But all in all, you have to learn to get used to it instead of giving up the CPAP thing all together. The benefits are awesome: no more naps, you are less tired, you don't disturb others while sleeping without it, no heart attacks. I have never thought that I would get used to it. This was three years ago and now I am using this on a nightly basis.

Good luck.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Kabuto,

Although not the most expensive part of CPAP therapy, a comfortable mask with a good fit is the most critical to the success of your therapy. You didn't say what kind of mask you're wearing (or anything about your machine and humidifier either). Please add your equipment to your profile.

Also, I soak the part that touches my face in 50% vinegar solution for two hours before the first use. That seems to cut down on the allergic properties. I've gotten hostile responses to that suggestion before, but it does work (at least for me).

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Kabuto wrote:Hi everyone,

Get with the program! Figure out what you need to do to make your therapy successful.......and do it.

The following is what one of our forum members ( DoriC, who is a dear friend of mine/ours ) has in her profile:

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"

Good words to live by.

Or, there's the logo of Nike: "Just do it!"

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:17 pm

It can take a while to get to the commitment stage; it isn't always love at first sight for everyone, and even courtships that eventually lead up to rock-solid marriages can be rocky along the way.
Kabuto wrote: . . . my sleepy self accidentally takes it off mid-sleep without thinking
I think many of us go through stages like that, especially when starting out. For some of us, it takes a while before our brains/bodies figure out that the thing on our face is making things better, not worse. Even though we all know it consciously, it can take a while for the subconscious to catch up. So there may be reasons to keep chipping away at the body's/brain's resistance to the therapy.
Kabuto wrote: . . . So: What do I do now? If I haven't been able to commit to my CPAP, what do I do about this lousy disease? And the depressive side effects that come from sleep apnea?
I would say keep working at it as long as is reasonably possible. Ask specific questions in this forum about what others have done, such as "Has anyone figured the best way to handle it when your nose starts itching?" If you ask for positive input while displaying a can-do attitude in the way you ask the question, fewer people will see the need to try to startle you or scare you in the way they phrase their answers.

Of course, for some people, especially those who never find this forum, PAP never quite works out for them so they move on to other, less-effective, ways of treating OSA. There is no dishonor in that. Making it a little better can still be a wiser choice than doing nothing at all about OSA. However, now that you've found this forum, milk it for all it is worth by reading as much as you can in past posts. Do google searches on your issues and add the phrase "site:cpaptalk.com" to get hits on questions that have been answered here before.

I admit that I, although a fairly-experienced PAP user, will STILL occasionally have a night where I find my mask off in the morning. It is rare, but it happens. I think it is my brain testing my resolve. I don't beat myself up over it. I just resolve to show my brain who's boss by keeping up the good fight with it.

I can tell by your post that you ARE going to find a way to make this stuff work for you. You are here. You are looking to make it work. You will. On the outside chance that you can't after a reasonable amount of time trying, there ARE other things to try. Just make sure to give the gold-standard, PAP therapy, the full shot before you decide it's time to move on.

Don't give up too quickly on the very therapy that may turn out to be the love of your life that you are forever grateful that you committed to.

-jeff
Last edited by jnk... on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Yes there's an oral appliance that helps keep the airway open, also there's a tongue retainer for tongue obstruction apnea.
But I was told by an ENT doctor that insurance won't pay at all for any of that until cpap is tried first for several months.