Any Change in Benefits of CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mkarns

Any Change in Benefits of CPAP

Post by mkarns » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Hello all you experts:

I have a question that has been nagging at me for some time.

While using the CPAP machine if you are wearing a full face mask, is it less beneficial breathing with your mouth open than when the mouth is shut?

Thanks for your input,

M. Karns

BlackSpinner

Re: Any Change in Benefits of CPAP

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Mouth breathing will cause dental problems.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:50 pm

mkarns wrote:Hello all you experts:

I have a question that has been nagging at me for some time.

While using the CPAP machine if you are wearing a full face mask, is it less beneficial breathing with your mouth open than when the mouth is shut?

Thanks for your input,

M. Karns
No. That's the biggest benefit from using full face masks.......if you have to breathe through your mouth, your therapy is still effective. The downside of mouth-breathing is that the user will probably experience "dry mouth".
In my case, I was a mouth-breather all my life until I began this therapy. But, I've used cool "passover" humidity and learned to do some nasal cleansing and became a nasal breather.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:30 am

A nasal mask is preferable if it is possible to use one.

However, some patients can't use one due to mouth breathing. In that case, a nose/mouth mask (generally call a "full face" mask) is needed.

I would add that just because you started with a nose/mouth mask doesn't mean you always need one and vice-versa. Also, if you switch mask types, your ideal pressure setting might also need reassessment.

Note that I like to avoid the term "full face mask" since that term would imply that the eyes are covered too.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:29 pm

D.H. wrote:A nasal mask is preferable if it is possible to use one.

However, some patients can't use one due to mouth breathing. In that case, a nose/mouth mask (generally call a "full face" mask) is needed.

I would add that just because you started with a nose/mouth mask doesn't mean you always need one and vice-versa. Also, if you switch mask types, your ideal pressure setting might also need reassessment.

Note that I like to avoid the term "full face mask" since that term would imply that the eyes are covered too.
Go ahead and use the term "full face". The mask that "covers the eyes" is a Total Face Mask.

Sheriff

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:46 pm

Never used a nasal mask. Was tested with and supplied with a full face mask (not Total Face) from the very beginning. I tend to mouth breath occasionally but try to not when possible. Night's that I tend to mouth breath I get cotton mouth and occasionally need to take a sip of water and go back to sleep.

BTW what works for you might not work for others. It is really something you have to try and figure out what works for you. For me, it took about 3 months at the beginning to figure it out. That is pretty fast for some and slow for others.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin