Sleep apnea and depression

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
alpha752

Sleep apnea and depression

Post by alpha752 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:36 am

Does anyone have any experience with sleep apnea and depression? I have had bouts of depression in the past, and seem to be going through it again now. I am marginally compliant with my cpap, meaning 2 maybe 3 times a week I will wear it, if I try real hard. Last time I was depressed I remember I wasn't wearing it consistently either.

Being consistent with cpap is difficult for me, always has been, and I am wondering how big a factor the sleep deprivation can be. It can be hard to tell what causes issues like these, as the list of possible causes can be lengthy. Has improved sleep affected anyone with issues such as depression?

49er

Re: Sleep apnea and depression

Post by 49er » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:54 am

alpha752 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with sleep apnea and depression? I have had bouts of depression in the past, and seem to be going through it again now. I am marginally compliant with my cpap, meaning 2 maybe 3 times a week I will wear it, if I try real hard. Last time I was depressed I remember I wasn't wearing it consistently either.

Being consistent with cpap is difficult for me, always has been, and I am wondering how big a factor the sleep deprivation can be. It can be hard to tell what causes issues like these, as the list of possible causes can be lengthy. Has improved sleep affected anyone with issues such as depression?
How can sleep deprivation and low quality sleep not cause depression?

Why are you having difficulties?

alpha752

Post by alpha752 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:54 am

49er wrote:
alpha752 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with sleep apnea and depression? I have had bouts of depression in the past, and seem to be going through it again now. I am marginally compliant with my cpap, meaning 2 maybe 3 times a week I will wear it, if I try real hard. Last time I was depressed I remember I wasn't wearing it consistently either.

I have been diagnosed with depression in the past and been on and off medications. I can't pinpoint one trigger this time, there are lots of issues such as work sucking, being broke, kids stress... the normal stuff that comes up in life. Normally I can deal with these things fine, but for the past few months it's been really hard. Like I said, I don't want to go back on medication, so I am trying to examine things that could help.

I know depression is listed as a symptom of sleep deprivation, but I was wondering if anyone had any real world experiences where improving their sleep helped them overcome depression.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:49 am

alpha752 wrote:
49er wrote:

I have been diagnosed with depression in the past and been on and off medications. I can't pinpoint one trigger this time, there are lots of issues such as work sucking, being broke, kids stress... the normal stuff that comes up in life. Normally I can deal with these things fine, but for the past few months it's been really hard. Like I said, I don't want to go back on medication, so I am trying to examine things that could help.

I know depression is listed as a symptom of sleep deprivation, but I was wondering if anyone had any real world experiences where improving their sleep helped them overcome depression.
Sorry, I wanted to know why you were having difficulties with pap therapy. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

alpha752

Post by alpha752 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:08 pm

49er wrote:
alpha752 wrote:
49er wrote:

Sorry, I wanted to know why you were having difficulties with pap therapy. Sorry, I wasn't clear.
Ah, my apologies. I have a love hate with my cpap. My difficulty is simply wearing the mask. If I put it on too early, for some reason it kind of stimulates me and makes it hard for me to fall asleep. I try to wait until I am on the verge of sleep and put it on so I can drift off quickly, but often times I misjudge and end up falling asleep with out it. I finally, after many years, have a mask setup that doesn't leak, and I actually enjoy the pressure, it's just actually putting the darn thing on and falling asleep that's the problem.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:20 pm

You NEED to wear it EVERY TIME YOU SLEEP!!! And, no excuses.
Yeah......big time connection between the two.

viewtopic/t114691/search.php?keywords=depression

https://www.google.com/search?q=sleep+a ... 8&oe=utf-8

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:52 pm

Try wearing it while watching a movie to desensitize yourself.

In order to get any worthwhile benefit you MUST wear it every time you sleep. EVERY SINGLE MINUTE!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:31 pm

alpha752 wrote:Poorly Treated Sleep Apnea ---> Depression
Yes.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:47 pm

a752 writes...Does anyone have any experience with sleep apnea and depression? I have had bouts of depression in the past, and seem to be going through it again now. I am marginally compliant with my cpap, meaning 2 maybe 3 times a week I will wear it, if I try real hard. Last time I was depressed I remember I wasn't wearing it consistently either.

Over the past 12 years, I've seen more than a few posts from folks who have seen their depression (including bi-polar) symptoms abate with conscientious use of xpap therapy. There are several scientific studies that confirm this (here's one https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25423175). I suspect that optimized therapy, in which the patient uses feedback from nightly data to adjust pressure or pressure ranges may produce the best results (check with your doc, mine says it's okay for me to adjust my pressure range, some do not).

zeeclass

Post by zeeclass » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:47 am

Have you had your thyroid levels checked (TSH, Free T4, Free T3?) Thyroid disease can cause depression.

Diagnosed mainly with hypopneas, original AHI of 19. Also suffer from twitching in sleep, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, herniated discs in neck and back, mild recurring depression. Hubby and I are both hoseheads with matching CPAPs!

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:49 am

Sometimes it's hard to differentiate between lethargy born of being tired and/or sleepy vs depression. When my sleep disorders were untreated, my energy and enthusiasm levels were in at pathetic levels. Having untreated sleep disorders forces the body and brain to function out of that deficiency and that surely has to affect performance and sense of well being. When one feels bad and there are likely multiple contributors, a methodical ruling out of potential causes is a good approach, starting with the known issues. In your case, the known factor is your sleep apnea. After a sustained period of consistent use of CPAP every time you sleep you can reassess any remaining symptoms. Also be aware of potential side effects of any meds.

Not sure why you're not using your CPAP diligently. Are there identifiable problems? Do you lack motivation? There is a thread at the top of the main page with page after page of success stories. Read some of them, and see if you feel motivated to do what's necessary to live your personal best life.

papzombie

Post by papzombie » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:30 am

Severe OSA and Depression here, one Greek study shows that depression delay OSA treatment's success.

RokMartian

Post by RokMartian » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:18 pm

I've dealt with depression for many years. I've been on cpap for about 3 months now and it has had the most impact on my depression. I am in a much better mood now and I no longer go to bed dreading the next morning. I can honestly say that I have not been happier in years. I am so much more focused now, that it gives me that little bit of motivation to not procrastinate and get things done that I have been putting off.

I can't say much more than what has already been said by others. Depression sucks and everyone's remedy may differ and this time of year seems to make it worse for many people.
Try as much as possible to use it every night and know that you can do it -- I know that if I can stick to it, then anyone can.

I'm a new guy here myself and haven't posted much, but what I do know that there is a huge support team here, willing to help if I ever ask.

cannongeorge

Post by cannongeorge » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:53 pm

No depression, but for decades experienced "Generalized Anxiety Disorder" which (non-medical opinion) I think is a close cousin. (Anxiety attacks)

Yes, I had (and still have) a love-hate relationship with CPAP machine but I have discovered the anxiety attacks are much, much less frequent now, if not a memory for me. I think there is a connection. All the more interesting because I did not have conventional apnea symptoms (lack of sleep/tiredness) but had a good doctor who bothered to look into my airway and prescribe sleep testing.