Solution to Eliminate Runny Nose and Sneezing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shoehorny

Solution to Eliminate Runny Nose and Sneezing

Post by shoehorny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Howdy!

A few weeks ago I went on Google to find a solution to eliminate the constant runny nose and sneezing that plagued me constantly every waking hour of the day (when I was not using the CPAP machine). I used up dozens of boxes of tissues to no avail. I researched the internet only to find the same complaints and tried and failed remedies used by others. I figured when the going gets tough, the tough get going. So I rolled up my sleeves and figured I would have to figure out a solution on my own.

Solution

First let me premise that I am not a medical doctor and I am not giving anyone medical advise. I am simply stating what worked for me and this is my opinion, which I invite others to explore. I am, however, a research scientist that works for the greatest telecommunications company in the world and I come up with many very good solutions.

The solution is simple and very inexpensive. Simply cut of a small piece of toilet paper/bathroom tissue and gently stuff a small piece into each nostril. You may also use cotton or a tissue. The objective is to add pressure to your nostrils in such a way that you can still breathe out of your nose (with the filtering material stuff in your nostrils), but greatly restrict the air flow.

By doing so, your air intake through your nose will be restricted and you should find yourself using your mouth to breathe. It does take a few minutes to get used to it, but you will find your nose will instantly stop running and you will not sneeze at all. Leave the toilet paper in your nose for at least an hour.

Scientific Principle

To understand why this works, you need to understand what the CPAP machine is. CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. The machine is well named as it does exactly that: It provides a continuous positive airway pressure down your nostrils for the entire night while you're sleeping. So, if you are like me and sleep 8 hours during the night, 1/3 of your 24 hour day is spent with a machine artificially blowing air through your nose!

My theory is our human bodies are very adaptive to conditions and immediately recognize something is not natural. The CPAP machine is essentially blowing open a doorway through your nose to provide your body air while you sleep. In the morning, when you awaken and remove the CPAP machine, your body looks to provide a countermeasure to correct this unnatural condition and sends mucus to your nose to sort of block the door. If given time, the mucus would eventually skin over your nasal passage protecting the airway and the mucus will stop flowing thus stopping the runny nose and persistent sneezing (i.e., boogers form).

By restricting your breathing through your nose, you allow the mucus time to skin over and do its job. The tissue tricks your body into believing that your nose is blocked up and it turns off the mucus flow.

What Does and Does Not Help

I read dozens of comments in these forums (and others) about using humidifiers with heat or without heat. This will not help with the runny nose or sneezing at all! If anything, I believe this will further hinder this condition. I believe the humidifier is meant to only supply comfort for moisturizing dry noses. Methinks you are better off without it....

Once again, the CPAP is an artificial way of delivering air through your nose. The more that you replicate natural air delivery, the less side effects you will experience. Keep the CPAP machine dialed onto the lowest setting that permits you to get a good night sleep.

I am not big on drugs and I would recommend not using them. Using inhalers, steroids, decongestion tablets, etc. only provide temporary relief at best and the drugs often have side effects of their own. God designed our human bodies to heal on their own without extra chemicals.

Drink lots of water throughout the day. Water will flush away toxins from your body and help prevent dry skin and tissues. Water is what our bodies are mostly composed of and it does our bodies a lot of good.

That said, look for ways to eliminate having to use a CPAP machine in the first place! If you are overweight, work an exercise program in your daily schedule and loose the excess weight. Eat healthy foods using the my-plate formula and get your body to the proper weight for your height and age.

What I Ask of You

If you try my solution, please feel free to comment and provide feedback! (Positive or negative). Share with others!

If you find this solution worked for you, I would like to ask a favor of you. I lost my elderly father this year as a result of a heart attach. My mother is living all alone. I visit her often and she often tells me how lonely she is. It is one of the things about old age that sucks! Won't you please visit an elderly person and spend some comforting time with that person?

Thank you in advance. Merry Christmas and may God bless you and make you well!

LSAT

Re: Solution to Eliminate Runny Nose and Sneezing

Post by LSAT » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Obviously, for this to work, you need to run out and purchase a FF mask if you are not already using one. If you ARE already using one, you may already breathe through your mouth.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Have you tried to take a tablet of Claritin which is over the counter?

shoehorny

Post by shoehorny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:05 pm

LSAT wrote:Obviously, for this to work, you need to run out and purchase a FF mask if you are not already using one. If you ARE already using one, you may already breathe through your mouth.
Hi LSAT!

Sorry if I was not clear. I did this procedure during the DAY TIME....while NOT using the CPAP machine! Simply plug up your nose with tissue and relax. No mask required! I did it several times already while driving in to working each morning. I did not have a runny nose or sneeze afterwards.

Good luck!

shoehorny

Post by shoehorny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:07 pm

No way!
Last edited by shoehorny on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:16 pm

shoehorny wrote:Howdy!

A few weeks ago I went on Google to find a solution to eliminate the constant runny nose and sneezing that plagued me constantly every waking hour of the day (when I was not using the CPAP machine). I used up dozens of boxes of tissues to no avail. I researched the internet only to find the same complaints and tried and failed remedies used by others. I figured when the going gets tough, the tough get going. So I rolled up my sleeves and figured I would have to figure out a solution on my own.

Solution

First let me premise that I am not a medical doctor and I am not giving anyone medical advise. I am simply stating what worked for me and this is my opinion, which I invite others to explore. I am, however, a research scientist that works for the greatest telecommunications company in the world and I come up with many very good solutions.

The solution is simple and very inexpensive. Simply cut of a small piece of toilet paper/bathroom tissue and gently stuff a small piece into each nostril. You may also use cotton or a tissue. The objective is to add pressure to your nostrils in such a way that you can still breathe out of your nose (with the filtering material stuff in your nostrils), but greatly restrict the air flow.

By doing so, your air intake through your nose will be restricted and you should find yourself using your mouth to breathe. It does take a few minutes to get used to it, but you will find your nose will instantly stop running and you will not sneeze at all. Leave the toilet paper in your nose for at least an hour.

Scientific Principle

To understand why this works, you need to understand what the CPAP machine is. CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. The machine is well named as it does exactly that: It provides a continuous positive airway pressure down your nostrils for the entire night while you're sleeping. So, if you are like me and sleep 8 hours during the night, 1/3 of your 24 hour day is spent with a machine artificially blowing air through your nose!

My theory is our human bodies are very adaptive to conditions and immediately recognize something is not natural. The CPAP machine is essentially blowing open a doorway through your nose to provide your body air while you sleep. In the morning, when you awaken and remove the CPAP machine, your body looks to provide a countermeasure to correct this unnatural condition and sends mucus to your nose to sort of block the door. If given time, the mucus would eventually skin over your nasal passage protecting the airway and the mucus will stop flowing thus stopping the runny nose and persistent sneezing (i.e., boogers form).

By restricting your breathing through your nose, you allow the mucus time to skin over and do its job. The tissue tricks your body into believing that your nose is blocked up and it turns off the mucus flow.

What Does and Does Not Help

I read dozens of comments in these forums (and others) about using humidifiers with heat or without heat. This will not help with the runny nose or sneezing at all! If anything, I believe this will further hinder this condition. I believe the humidifier is meant to only supply comfort for moisturizing dry noses. Methinks you are better off without it....

Once again, the CPAP is an artificial way of delivering air through your nose. The more that you replicate natural air delivery, the less side effects you will experience. Keep the CPAP machine dialed onto the lowest setting that permits you to get a good night sleep.

I am not big on drugs and I would recommend not using them. Using inhalers, steroids, decongestion tablets, etc. only provide temporary relief at best and the drugs often have side effects of their own. God designed our human bodies to heal on their own without extra chemicals.

Drink lots of water throughout the day. Water will flush away toxins from your body and help prevent dry skin and tissues. Water is what our bodies are mostly composed of and it does our bodies a lot of good.

That said, look for ways to eliminate having to use a CPAP machine in the first place! If you are overweight, work an exercise program in your daily schedule and loose the excess weight. Eat healthy foods using the my-plate formula and get your body to the proper weight for your height and age.

What I Ask of You

If you try my solution, please feel free to comment and provide feedback! (Positive or negative). Share with others!

If you find this solution worked for you, I would like to ask a favor of you. I lost my elderly father this year as a result of a heart attach. My mother is living all alone. I visit her often and she often tells me how lonely she is. It is one of the things about old age that sucks! Won't you please visit an elderly person and spend some comforting time with that person?

Thank you in advance. Merry Christmas and may God bless you and make you well!
Shoehorny, some of your assertions about allergies and apnea are inaccurate and potentially harmful.
Just a note to those suffering from allergies, check with your doctor before starting an antihistamine.
Severe side effects, though rare, are usually predictable, and most doctors will know which ones are safe FOR YOU.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:34 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Shoehorny, some of your assertions about allergies and apnea are inaccurate and potentially harmful.
Just a note to those suffering from allergies, check with your doctor before starting an antihistamine.
Severe side effects, though rare, are usually predictable, and most doctors will know which ones are safe FOR YOU.
Froggy,,,It was avi that suggester the antihistamine...not shoehorny

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Imageposted in 2006:

after 2 dayquils and 2 sudafeds didn't do the trick, I resort to using simply stuffing tissues up both nostrils to stop the leaky faucet and it actually works where medicine failed, they need to invent something where I can do this in public without being ridiculed

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:54 pm

shoehorny wrote: . . .avi said something about Claritin . . .
and shoehorny's response was:
No way! That stuff does more damage than good. Avoid it.
The warning about Claritin was from shoehorny; and though there are indeed severe, but RARE
side effects, they are associated with liver and kidney conditions--known contraindications.
Loratadine is on the World Health Organization's list of ESSENTIAL medications.

Avi just needs a little bucket to dangle below his substantial beak.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:33 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
shoehorny wrote: . . .avi said something about Claritin . . .
and shoehorny's response was:
No way! That stuff does more damage than good. Avoid it.
The warning about Claritin was from shoehorny; and though there are indeed severe, but RARE
side effects, they are associated with liver and kidney conditions--known contraindications.
Loratadine is on the World Health Organization's list of ESSENTIAL medications.

Avi just needs a little bucket to dangle below his substantial beak.
SHAME on the "somebody" who deleted my post!

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:28 pm

FWIW, the method shoe shoehorny suggests was recommended to my brother by his doctor a long time ago. Worked for him, so I'm sure it would for others. I only get the runny nose and sneezy thing going out into the cold and going into grocery stores (dust). I'm not there long enough to try the method.

As to your reference to some unknown deity, we have had many millennia of experience of human bodies that do not heal on their own. The life span went from 45 to 80. I'm all for chemicals!

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

grizzlybearclark

Post by grizzlybearclark » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:18 pm

i am new here also. i have been dealing with similar symptoms for years. not that it matters to any one but me, God and genetics have first dibs on anything going on in your body. it is a laudable thing to try to figure things out on your own and i have done the same thing many times, i found out i can't even begin to cure myself at best only temporary relief. i suggest a trip to a well recommended ENT. they will find the answers you need
and it is still your decision if you take the medicine or not but you will know the reason why.
i have chronic sinusitis, sinus polyps, asthma and other problems.
my reply may not be what you are looking for but i have been dealing with those symptoms for well over 20 years.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:48 pm

SewTired wrote:FWIW, the method shoe shoehorny suggests was recommended to my brother by his doctor a long time ago. Worked for him, so I'm sure it would for others. I only get the runny nose and sneezy thing going out into the cold and going into grocery stores (dust). I'm not there long enough to try the method.

As to your reference to some unknown deity, we have had many millennia of experience of human bodies that do not heal on their own. The life span went from 45 to 80. I'm all for chemicals!
As far as dust in stores, i'd be more worried about chemicals, i avoid going down soap areas. Also in bible times many lived 125 or more, then dropped to 45 then 80. Jim Better living thru chemicals, the jury is still out. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire