Airfit F10 elbows keep leaking

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
I've Been Tired

Airfit F10 elbows keep leaking

Post by I've Been Tired » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:21 pm

My last 3 elbows worked for only a couple of weeks and then started to leak. Anybody else having this problem? I would get a few months at least out of my previous elbows. Might have to switch masks if this continues.
Max Pressure 14
Min Pressure 7

LSAT

Re: Airfit F10 elbows keep leaking

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:58 pm

I've Been Tired wrote:My last 3 elbows worked for only a couple of weeks and then started to leak. Anybody else having this problem? I would get a few months at least out of my previous elbows. Might have to switch masks if this continues.
Are you sure it's not the CO2 venting that you are referring to. Most FF masks with elbows vent used air through that area. If you have had this problem with
3 masks I'm guessing it's not the mask. What has your DME said about this problem?

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:06 pm

LSAT wrote:
I've Been Tired wrote:My last 3 elbows worked for only a couple of weeks and then started to leak. Anybody else having this problem? I would get a few months at least out of my previous elbows. Might have to switch masks if this continues.
Are you sure it's not the CO2 venting that you are referring to. Most FF masks with elbows vent used air through that area. If you have had this problem with
3 masks I'm guessing it's not the mask. What has your DME said about this problem?
+1 see: https://youtu.be/Lbok4tkW_Z8 particularly beginning at about 26 seconds to 40 seconds in.

I've Been Tired

Post by I've Been Tired » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:27 pm

LSAT wrote:
It's definitely leaks. My leak numbers indicate this on the machine. I will have zero leaks and then the leaks will increase. If I replace the elbow then the leaks will go away again. I guess I could keep replacing the elbow every couple of weeks, but that seems excessive.

I haven't spoken to my DME about this. The people on this board seem much more knowledgeable than they do. But, it might be worth a shot.
Max Pressure 14
Min Pressure 7

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:53 pm

I've Been Tired wrote:It's definitely leaks. My leak numbers indicate this on the machine. I will have zero leaks and then the leaks will increase. If I replace the elbow then the leaks will go away again. I guess I could keep replacing the elbow every couple of weeks, but that seems excessive.

I haven't spoken to my DME about this. The people on this board seem much more knowledgeable than they do. But, it might be worth a shot.
how can you tell it's the *elbow* leaking when the elbow is surrounded by vent holes?

Last edited by palerider on Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:15 pm

The elbow should never need replacing unless you are replacing the entire mask. My masks last for years with cushion replacement only.

I've Been Tired

Post by I've Been Tired » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:32 pm

palerider wrote:
I've Been Tired wrote:
LSAT wrote:
It's definitely leaks. My leak numbers indicate this on the machine. I will have zero leaks and then the leaks will increase. If I replace the elbow then the leaks will go away again. I guess I could keep replacing the elbow every couple of weeks, but that seems excessive.

how can you tell it's the *elbow* leaking when the elbow is surrounded by vent holes?
Because when I replace the elbow, the leak data goes back to zero.
Max Pressure 14
Min Pressure 7

I've Been Tired

Post by I've Been Tired » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:34 pm

LSAT wrote:The elbow should never need replacing unless you are replacing the entire mask. My masks last for years with cushion replacement only.
MIght have to switch to your mask.
Max Pressure 14
Min Pressure 7

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:34 pm

I've Been Tired wrote:
palerider wrote:how can you tell it's the *elbow* leaking when the elbow is surrounded by vent holes?
so, just where do you think it's leaking?

in answer to your question, no, it's not common, what are you doing to the elbows? are you disassembling them in any fashion? messing up the AA valve?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

I've Been Tired

Post by I've Been Tired » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:55 pm

palerider wrote:
I've Been Tired wrote:
palerider wrote:how can you tell it's the *elbow* leaking when the elbow is surrounded by vent holes?

in answer to your question, no, it's not common, what are you doing to the elbows? are you disassembling them in any fashion? messing up the AA valve?
I think that the elbow is not making a tight seal with the mask. I'm not modifying the elbows in any way.
Max Pressure 14
Min Pressure 7

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:16 pm

How closely does your disassembly procedures correspond to these: https://youtu.be/HMkexD5k3tE (the elbow Is dealt with from 20 seconds to about 26 seconds in)? Personally, I have found the elbows on the various masks I have used to be among the least problematical areas for leaks. Tension on headgear and cushion fitting, on the other hand, are among the most common. See: https://youtu.be/IgmFt0QHwWI for a good overview of fitting and maintenance tips.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:05 pm

I've Been Tired wrote:
palerider wrote:
I've Been Tired wrote:

I think that the elbow is not making a tight seal with the mask. I'm not modifying the elbows in any way.
unless you're modifying, mangling or breaking the elbow, there's no way it can just 'start leaking'....

I suggest closer investigation.

carefully, exactingly compare one of your "bad" elbows with a new one.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:12 pm

I've Been Tired wrote:
palerider wrote:
I've Been Tired wrote:

The elbow is not suppose to make a tight seal...it needs to rotate.

amenite

Post by amenite » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:00 am

I've Been Tired wrote: I think that the elbow is not making a tight seal with the mask. I'm not modifying the elbows in any way.
I haven't had a problem with excessive leakage when the elbow is seated, but the elbow on mine seems to be very very easy to pop off the frame. Pretty simple handling seems to be able to unseat the elbow. I looked around for just the elbow thinking I had a lemon and apparently it's not sold on its own unless I've overlooked something. I like this mask otherwise but will probably try something else when it's time to replace due to that problem.

andycole

Post by andycole » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:05 pm

How often do you clean the cushion? There is a gasket on the inside that the elbow should rest against to complete the seal. If you accidentally removed it you would get a leak. Happened to me and it was not easy putting the gasket back on but that's because I have tremors in my hands.