First night with full face mask (Quattro Air)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepychar

First night with full face mask (Quattro Air)

Post by sleepychar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:38 am

So last night was my first night with a full face mask... I think it went well!!! I was very nervous about it but I managed to figure out how to take the mask apart and put it back together and get it fitted to my face. I had three wake-ups but only two really count because the first one was due to my cat tearing around causing a ruckus. I was aware of waking up, not fully, several other times. One of the wake-up times my mouth was excessively dry but not the other times. No major leaks. I will see if this keeps up and helps my dry mouth issue. There have been times with the pillow mask that my mouth has not been as dry as other times so time will tell whether last night's improvement will last. I can see where if I stick with a FFM I would want to have a mask liner. If success continues, I would like to try the Amara View mask next. Am I proud of myself for finally giving a FFM a try? Yes!!!! I doubt I would be sticking with CPAP without the support of this group. So thank you!
Previously AirFit P10 for Her mask

Jay Aitchsee

Re: First night with full face mask (Quattro Air)

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:43 am

sleepychar wrote:So last night was my first night with a full face mask... I think it went well!!! I was very nervous about it but I managed to figure out how to take the mask apart and put it back together and get it fitted to my face. I had three wake-ups but only two really count because the first one was due to my cat tearing around causing a ruckus. I was aware of waking up, not fully, several other times. One of the wake-up times my mouth was excessively dry but not the other times. No major leaks. I will see if this keeps up and helps my dry mouth issue. There have been times with the pillow mask that my mouth has not been as dry as other times so time will tell whether last night's improvement will last. I can see where if I stick with a FFM I would want to have a mask liner. If success continues, I would like to try the Amara View mask next. Am I proud of myself for finally giving a FFM a try? Yes!!!! I doubt I would be sticking with CPAP without the support of this group. So thank you!
Good job

sleepychar

Post by sleepychar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks, Jay! I hope the next nights follow a similar course... I feel very encouraged...

andycole

Post by andycole » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:01 pm

I have been using the Quattro Air for over 6 months with good success. I tried the Amara View Hybrid and failed miserably. You might check to see if your humidifier setting is too low - that could cause dryness. Good luck and keep up the good work

tan

Post by tan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:06 pm

sleepychar wrote:Thanks, Jay! I hope the next nights follow a similar course... I feel very encouraged...
Keep your mouth shut during the night by all means necessary: chinstrap, collar, partial (vertical) or full taping

andycole

Post by andycole » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:09 pm

tan - she is using full face mask and not the pillows her profile shows. She shouldn't need a chinstrap.

bambiying

Post by bambiying » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:30 pm

sleepychar wrote:So last night was my first night with a full face mask... I think it went well!!! I was very nervous about it but I managed to figure out how to take the mask apart and put it back together and get it fitted to my face. I had three wake-ups but only two really count because the first one was due to my cat tearing around causing a ruckus. I was aware of waking up, not fully, several other times. One of the wake-up times my mouth was excessively dry but not the other times. No major leaks. I will see if this keeps up and helps my dry mouth issue. There have been times with the pillow mask that my mouth has not been as dry as other times so time will tell whether last night's improvement will last. I can see where if I stick with a FFM I would want to have a mask liner. If success continues, I would like to try the Amara View mask next. Am I proud of myself for finally giving a FFM a try? Yes!!!! I doubt I would be sticking with CPAP without the support of this group. So thank you!

The Quattro Air was my first mask. I find the Amara View so much more enjoyable. It's the first mask that I got where I didn't think to myself....hmmmmm, I wonder what my next mask should be? It's great!

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:40 pm

I have found that I still need to use a soft cervical collar with a full face mask. It keeps my mouth closed and I don't wake up with an extremely dry mouth.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

sleepychar

Post by sleepychar » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:46 pm

I have found that I still need to use a soft cervical collar with a full face mask. It keeps my mouth closed and I don't wake up with an extremely dry mouth.
The soft cervical collar is on my list of things to try next after I see how I do with the full face mask. Thanks!

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:26 am

sleepychar wrote:
The soft cervical collar is on my list of things to try next after I see how I do with the full face mask. Thanks!
Char; Good for you! I tried on a quattro but would not try to sleep with it. Too many velcro straps for me to mess with.

Concerning a soft cervical collar, may I suggest you check out the Rakula anti-snore neck pillow on Amazon.com.
Avi123 posted it on a previous thread that was started by you. Looks like it works best for people with a small neck. Some reviews
by women give it 5 stars, but people with a larger neck don't like it. Cost is about $20. I plan on trying that next to help with intermittent dry mouth.

Curious to see how you like the Amara View.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:12 am

Does this mean that you used a different type of mask before?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:43 am

Looking at her previous posts, she was using a P10 in July.
We can change our profile to match our current equipment, which she has done.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:53 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Looking at her previous posts, she was using a P10 in July.
We can change our profile to match our current equipment, which she has done.
Thanks for digging. I really was not inclined to go searching for old posts.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:34 am

She only had 111, no biggie.
I cannot hope to find anything in my own history, but it has been done.

sleepychar

Post by sleepychar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:45 am

by D.H. on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:12 am

Does this mean that you used a different type of mask before?
I apologize for not giving the full story in my posts here. I had been using the P10 pillow mask and experiencing excessive dry mouth episodes. I was reluctant at first to try a full face mask and finally, with support from other members here, forced myself to give it a try. So that is the history. Last night was the second night with the Quattro Air mask. I had more wake-ups than the first night, 4 last night, again one time with dry mouth. I don't find the mask all that comfortable but there does seem to be some improvement in the dry mouth although it isn't entirely resolved. But enough so that I will gradually start to look at other masks. The Amara View is at the top of my list of masks to try next. And I will probably experiment with a soft cervical collar, both with the Quattro Air and with the P10 as well. I am relatively new to CPAP (APAP, actually), just started on July 15th this year.