Terrifying experience, has this happened to you?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mmike45

Terrifying experience, has this happened to you?

Post by Mmike45 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Hi fellow CPAPers, I'm just after some advice.

I had a terrifying experience with my Resmed s9 auto set with full face mask early this morning. It's never happened before, I woke up at 2am and went to the bathroom feeling slightly confused. I went back to bed and experienced a weird cold chest feeling and then had racing heart - it was terrifying. It calmed down but I had slight chest pain and was burping a bit. I went straight to the ER, but before I did I checked my machine stats, it said it had a low AHI but it showed a "red frown face" on the mask fit, this is new for me. I've used my machine for one and a half years prior with no problems.

I'm being cleared at the hospital now and they are about to clear and release me. The doctor said he doesn't know what it was but it wasn't a heart attack. I'm still a bit frightened at what happened and I don't know why. Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else or does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help.

-a very scared Michael

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Terrifying experience, has this happened to you?

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Possible panic (anxiety) attack?
I'm not saying, but did they rule it out?
With similar effects, I thought I was having a stroke.
No ER visit is wasted, if you BELIEVE it is serious.
One day, it could be.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:19 pm

What did you have to eat or drink shortly before bed? It sounds to me like you might have been woken by reflux, GERD, which would explain the burps, but you also could have inadvertently had the CO2 vent covered by blankets and been disoriented (it happens), or even a one-off arrythmia that shouldn't be taken to mean much at all... not unless you have repeat episodes that are definitive. Your mask could have leaked just at the wrong time in conjunction with air intake or exhalation, anything... but please don't let this single event scare you or make you afraid to keep using Cpap... stuff happens and we can't always explain it, but without repeats, it may just have been some oddity that will never be explained... we're not machines after all.
Last edited by Julie on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mmike45

Post by Mmike45 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:00 am

Thanks chunkyfrog and Julie, chunkyfrog they diagnosed either anxiety or GERD.

Julie I had a rich chocolate brownie before I went to bed. I spoke to my CPAP provider and they're happy to see me tomorrow to sort the issue out. He thinks that because of the leaks, I wasn't getting proper treatment so I had a confusional arousal, I had those horrid things before cpap. Thanks again

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:03 am

If I started having episodes anything like I was having B.C. (before CPAP), I would panic too.

This is even though I used to accept this as "normal."

For the record, that was over seventeen years ago.

andycole

Post by andycole » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:21 pm

most likely it was the brownie. I have GERD and cannot lay down for several hours after eating anything. I take Zantac nightly and raised my headboard with 2x4 to prevent episodes.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:52 am

That rich brownie you had has plenty of sugar, fats (maybe butter) and some caffeine from the chocolate... that's a pretty heavy bedtime treat IMO. Sounds like that could have caused an anxiety attack and maybe some stomach disturbance to me. Try eating some fruit or something light if you have to have pre-bedtime treats. No eating right before bedtime is the best bet.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Sounds like my GERD attacks.

Just be careful that they may want to put you on PPI's or antacids. They are meant for SHORT TERM use (under 2 weeks) but doctors think they are safe for decades. They are not and recently they have been associated with dementia among many other things. Better to treat the cause of GERD (too little stomach acid, not too much) if you have it chronically, or just avoid rich treats within 3 or 4 hours of going to bed if it's a "one off" type of issue. .
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm