AirFit P10 High Leak Numbers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JIMCHI

AirFit P10 High Leak Numbers

Post by JIMCHI » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:32 am

I just started using this mask and really like it. However, I am getting large leaks and am awakened by them. Last night I used the clips and tightened up the mask. I slept uninterrupted for the first time. But this morning my data shows that I had large leaks 33% of the night, my worst number yet. But when I look at the specific data, it shows my Flow Rate ranged from -40 to +40, my Mask Pressure ranged from 6 to 16, and Pressure ranged from 12 to 17. My AHI was 0.12 (about the same as always). The pressure settings on my ASV machine are 5-15

These are the tightest ranges I have seen since I started using the mask. Given this data and that I slept very well, does it really matter that I had large leaks 33% of the night?

Resmed AirFit P10 w/large pillows

Julie

Re: AirFit P10 High Leak Numbers

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:49 am

After a third night at those numbers, see how you feel... but have you considered using a full face mask - leaks aren't just from around the mask, but from mouth breathing, or does the thing only somehow track mask leaking?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:55 am

Which brand ASV....ResMed or Respironics?

Just how bad was the large leak...like how far into large leak territory did it go? Little bit into large leak territory or deep into large leak territory.

Maybe share the detailed report image so I can see what you are seeing?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JIMCHI

Post by JIMCHI » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:23 am

I don't know how to copy and paste my Sleephead chart here. But the high leak rates were around 35-40, with a few spikes to near 50. I'm using a Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV as I have Complex Apnea.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:41 am

The problem with having much time spent in large leak territory is that if we go very deep then we don't know if the AHI is nice and low during the periods of large leak because nothing happened or the machine missed the events because it couldn't sense them in the face of the large leak.

From my past experience the data shown between 24 and 30 L/min large leak territory is still fairly accurate.
Between 30 and 35 L/min the data shown starts getting a bit iffy and I might see some "unknown apneas" because the machine sensed something is going on but couldn't quite make up its mind what it was.
Over 35 L/min and the machine became pretty much clueless. It didn't flag anything where as right before when it was in 30 to 35 I got a handful of "unknowns".

So I would sort of eyeball the leak graph and look to see how much time I spent over 35 L/min since that is the time where we would worry the most about inaccurate data.

Since the leaks wake you up...I assume you are talking about mask movement leaks as opposed to mouth opening leaks.
Since you like the mask otherwise...you might keep trying to find just the right tension so it doesn't move so much.
Also, you might try a different size nasal pillow to see if it stays in place better.
Might try going up and down in a size if you can.

If you know for sure you are mouth breathing and that is what is waking you up....then you have to decide what to do about the mouth breathing if you are spending much time over 30 L/min.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:45 am

JIMCHI wrote:I don't know how to copy and paste my Sleephead chart here.
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
read all three pages, links at the bottom.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

davep700

Post by davep700 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:40 am

I recently noticed that one night my data might show 25% of the night in a large leak , and another night only 3%. But then I need to check the severity of the leaks as well.

JIMCHI

Post by JIMCHI » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:45 am

I am trying to post a shot of my data for last night, but I have no idea if I've done it right. imgur.com is very confusing to use. I had an AHI of zero again last night, but my leak rate is still quite high, with time over leak redline at 28%. I am using the Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV. I am using the P10 mask with large size pillows.

http://imgur.com/tSNQWHh

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:00 am

Roughly 2 hours spent in large leak.
And fairly deep into large leak territory. Deep enough that therapy could be impacted.

Are you mouth breathing? It looks like it might be a mouth breathing leak.
Are you sleeping soundly through these leaks?
How are you feeling otherwise?

Have you considered taping your mouth to see if the big leaks stop...which would confirm mouth breathing or not?
Meaning if the big leaks don't stop with the mouth taped (and it stays put) then these are mask movement leaks.
If mouth breathing....full face mask...or something to help keep the mouth shut needs to be undertaken.
If it's not mouth breathing then perhaps a different mask or do something different with this mask so that it isn't moving around so much.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:02 am

JIMCHI wrote:I am trying to post a shot of my data for last night, but I have no idea if I've done it right. imgur.com is very confusing to use.
try it this way instead:
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize

and then the next page "how to take an effective screenshot"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:12 am

Jim, Review this thread for the characteristics of Flow Rate waveforms during mouth leaks. A major characteristic is a flattening of the expiratory portion of the wave. Zoom in to about a 1 minute time duration during the periods of leak for comparison to the waveforms of this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112758&p=1085906#p1085906

Here's an excerpt:
Normal sleep breathing on top, expiratory mouth breathing on the bottom in large leak (shaded area)
Notice the flattening of the expiratory portion of the wave with exhalation by mouth.

Last edited by Jay Aitchsee on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 am

if at some point you feel like redoing those screenshots, I'd suggest changing the vertical scale size so that the waveforms are more pronounced, maybe 50-50 instead of 100-100

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:21 am

palerider wrote:if at some point you feel like redoing those screenshots, I'd suggest changing the vertical scale size so that the waveforms are more pronounced, maybe 50-50 instead of 100-100
Yeah, good idea. I just had those handy.
In the thread, I posted a drawing that hopefully shows (explains) it better.

Does it?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:34 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
palerider wrote:if at some point you feel like redoing those screenshots, I'd suggest changing the vertical scale size so that the waveforms are more pronounced, maybe 50-50 instead of 100-100
Yeah, good idea. I just had those handy.
In the thread, I posted a drawing that hopefully shows (explains) it better.

Does it?
yup!

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:15 am

Normal on top
Mouth Leak on bottom

Better?

Notice the pulse artifact?