New to CPAP - Got a cold the first night!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mharris

New to CPAP - Got a cold the first night!

Post by mharris » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Hello, I got a CPAP machine on Thursday and used it that night. (Nose pillow and chin strap). After I settled down and fell asleep I slept for 2 hours and woke up because my throat was raw and painful. The next morning I started sneezing and the sneezing became a "full-blown" cold. I haven't been able to use it since because my nose is stopped up. In addition, how will I proceed to use the CPAP when it obviously caused throat issues.
When we discovered I had sleep apnea, I had my tonsils and adenoids removed so there is no uvula to "protect" my airway. I had the humidity set and the air was set to start at 2 and increase to 10, which is recommended by my physician.
Has anyone had this issue and if so, what have you (hopefully) been able to do to resolve it.
Thanks!

LSAT

Re: New to CPAP - Got a cold the first night!

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:44 pm

mharris wrote:Hello, I got a CPAP machine on Thursday and used it that night. (Nose pillow and chin strap). After I settled down and fell asleep I slept for 2 hours and woke up because my throat was raw and painful. The next morning I started sneezing and the sneezing became a "full-blown" cold. I haven't been able to use it since because my nose is stopped up. In addition, how will I proceed to use the CPAP when it obviously caused throat issues.
When we discovered I had sleep apnea, I had my tonsils and adenoids removed so there is no uvula to "protect" my airway. I had the humidity set and the air was set to start at 2 and increase to 10, which is recommended by my physician.
Has anyone had this issue and if so, what have you (hopefully) been able to do to resolve it.
Thanks!
Most CPAP machines will not go any lower than 4.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:52 pm

LSAT wrote:
mharris wrote:Hello, I got a CPAP machine on Thursday and used it that night. (Nose pillow and chin strap). After I settled down and fell asleep I slept for 2 hours and woke up because my throat was raw and painful. The next morning I started sneezing and the sneezing became a "full-blown" cold. I haven't been able to use it since because my nose is stopped up. In addition, how will I proceed to use the CPAP when it obviously caused throat issues.
Thanks!
there are a few that'll do 3.

also, cpaps don't cause colds.

Last edited by palerider on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:55 pm

What was the humidifier set to?
It's possible that you need either more moisture or less.
Google "cpap rhinitis" and see what you think.
When the nasal mucosa get unhappy they react with typical allergy like response...swelling, congestion, runny nose, sneezing, etc. All the symptoms of a common cold also.

If your humidifier was set to the high side...try lower.
If it was set to the low side...try higher.
If it was set in the middle...toss a coin but more people tend to go a little more than less.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mharris

Post by mharris » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:02 pm

Thank you. The machine started at 4 and then during the next 30 minutes increased to 10
Is what I am describing (raw, inflamed throat) considered to be a dry mouth? I never expected to get a cold!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:04 pm

The 4 to 10 setting is for pressure and not for humidity.

Once you get over this "cold" and you do use the machine again and if the symptoms come back...remember what I said about the humidity setting.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mharris

Post by mharris » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Thank you so much!

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:18 pm

If local conditions are already humid, using a humidifier can cause congestion and 'rhinitis', or cold symptoms... so you could turn the humidifier off and see if things improve.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:17 pm

I'll venture a guess that you somehow defeated your chinstrap and did extensive mouth-breathing, (maybe at the same time that your nasal congestion started up) that will give me a dry/sore throat every time. FWIW, a full face mask is a good item to keep on hand for times when nasal congestion prevents breathing thru your nose. It's best not to skip pap therapy for several nights due to a cold-flu-allergy. (IMO) Good luck.

allenrcp

Post by allenrcp » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:24 pm

Just another thought.... since you need a virus to cause a cold and a virus more than likely did not come from a new piece of medical equipment, maybe you were just getting sick and it happened to coincide with your inaugural therapy session.

droder

Post by droder » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:38 am

I say that's strictly coincidence... The CPAP did not cause your cold. You must have had something brewing already and just happened to start having symptoms the same time you started CPAP.
CuddleCalm weighted blanket for RLS.

mangos21

Post by mangos21 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:00 pm

palerider wrote:
LSAT wrote:
Thanks!

Do you know which ones do 3? Genuinely interested in finding one.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:18 pm

mangos21 wrote: Do you know which ones do 3? Genuinely interested in finding one.
DeVilBiss is one. It's the only one I can think of at this time. ResMed, Respironics and F & P all start with 4 cm as the lowest. I don't know about the other non common brands.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... #specs-tab

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:30 pm

mangos21 wrote:
palerider wrote:Most CPAP machines will not go any lower than 4.

Do you know which ones do 3? Genuinely interested in finding one.
that helps almost no-one.

Last edited by palerider on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:50 pm

I love using my cpap when I have a cold or congestion! It clears me right out and lets me breathe freely all night. The congestion comes back after taking the mask off in the morning.

I agree with the others that your problem is probably mouth breathing or leaks. Don't stop using cpap just because of a cold or congestion.