Dream Station Humidifier Problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sylvia54

Dream Station Humidifier Problems

Post by Sylvia54 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Last week I returned the PR Dream Station machine I've been using since last April and received a replacement. In May I had complained to the DME RT of breathing in this intermittent "rusty radiator" like odor which was getting more frequent and stronger. He checked the machine (I don't how much he really knows) and blamed it on the nasal pillow mask that I purchased at cpap.com. I didn't believe him at the time.

After replacing the mask and PR hose last month, the same odor was still there, so again I complained and was told it's under warrantee. So a week ago I get the replacement Dreamstation machine and start using it. Odor is still there when I first start breathing in but not as strong. Seemed okay otherwise until today when I went to empty the humidifier. It was still completely full when I'd used it last night for close to 6 hrs. I placed the container back into the machine and turned it on. Now I hear a slight trickling water sound along with machine operating sound that was never there before in either machine.

Has anyone heard about or experienced Dream Station humidifier odor or malfunction?
My humidifier is always set on 3.

I always make sure it has water.

Wulfman...

Re: Dream Station Humidifier Problems

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Are you and have you been using "distilled" water?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Are you and have you been using "distilled" water?

Den

Yes I have, every day.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:39 pm

Sylvia54 wrote:Last week I returned the PR Dream Station machine I've been using since last April and received a replacement. In May I had complained to the DME RT of breathing in this intermittent "rusty radiator" like odor which was getting more frequent and stronger.
the majority of components in the humidifier chamber and hose are plastic or silicone.

nothing there to cause a 'rusty radiator' smell.

there is a metal heat plate in the bottom of the reservoir, though, but I doubt it was all rusty and corroded, I'd have thought you'd have mentioned it.

about the only place an actual smell could come from is room air, or the water.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Changing or cleaning filters regularly?

Anything in the vicinity of the air intake of the machine that would be a source of the odors?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:02 pm

palerider wrote:
Sylvia54 wrote:Last week I returned the PR Dream Station machine I've been using since last April and received a replacement. In May I had complained to the DME RT of breathing in this intermittent "rusty radiator" like odor which was getting more frequent and stronger.
the majority of components in the humidifier chamber and hose are plastic or silicone.

nothing there to cause a 'rusty radiator' smell.

there is a metal heat plate in the bottom of the reservoir, though, but I doubt it was all rusty and corroded, I'd have thought you'd have mentioned it.

about the only place an actual smell could come from is room air, or the water.
Burner clean in both machines.
But now I'm starting to wonder about the water.
It's the Walmart Great Value brand, pretty cheap.
And my husband buys 6-8 large bottles at a time, they've been sitting in our garage.
Would cheap quality distilled water would put out that odor?
And why would the machine stop using the water?
I guess that's for PR to figure out.

I did a search on google and found a few similar complaints, some recent.
Viewed a conversation on apnea board.

Others call it a "musty" odor, maybe that better describes it.

Thanks.

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Changing or cleaning filters regularly?

Anything in the vicinity of the air intake of the machine that would be a source of the odors?

Den

Yes, I order the allowed number and replace them per the DME schedule.
Disposable filter is replaced biweekly and I clean the other one with warm water maybe once a month.
Both new machines came with new filters and odor was there from the beginning.
It's there each time I first start breathing in, varies in how strong it is.

Machine sits on newer nightstand in a typical bedroom. Nothing else present to cause that odor.

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:48 pm

Okay, the machine noise problem is solved.
My husband removed the hose and put it back on with a snug fit.
So at least tonight I can still use it.
Maybe that will solve the other problems too?
Will see.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Note that I find if I set the max humidification setting, all the water evaporates before I wake up in the morning. Thus, I sometimes get a burning smell due to an empty water chamber. Since I always wake up at least once for a restroom visit, I refill at that time.

If you sleep through the night, you might want to change the humidifier setting to a lower one.

Last edited by D.H. on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:33 pm

D.H. wrote:Note that I find if I set the max humidification setting, all the water evaporates before I wake up in the morning. Thus, I sometimes get a burning smell due to an empty water chamber. Since I always wake up at least once for a restroom visit, I refill at that time.

If you sleep through the night, you might want to change the humidifier setting to a lower one.
I'm an insomniac and can't even remember the last time I slept through the night, so it won't go empty on me.
And it seems the odor problem is solved with a very tight fit of the hose connection. Sure hope so.
Takes a man to do that!