New device for Sleep Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DME_Guy

New device for Sleep Apnea

Post by DME_Guy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:57 pm

Anyone have information on this device?

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=21939@kcbs.dayport.com

Found the web-site.

http://www.cpapalternative.com/Home01.asp

Cost between $5,000 and $6,000!!!

I guess DMEs aren't the only evil ones.

Ric

Post by Ric » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:28 pm

DME_Guy, you pull through again! Thanks for the link.

I find that very interesting. I'm not ready to rush out and try it, but I plan to follow the technology and expect sooner or later someone here will try it and report back. It sounds like he (Keropian) has made an important discovery in the process, that at least some obstructions are not necessarily powered by gravity (the current paradigm), but seem to be an active reflex of some kind (?), the tongue actively pushing against the palate. He is certainly making $$$ from it. More power to him. Seems like he's on to something important.

-Ric

He who dies with the most masks wins.

Darth Vader Look

Post by Darth Vader Look » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:50 am

I had a quick look at the site but didn't see a price. It would be interesting to know exactly how much money this simple device is going to set us back.

Ric

Re: New device for Sleep Apnea

Post by Ric » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:53 am

DME_Guy wrote:Cost between $5,000 and $6,000!!!
(my sig speaks for itself)
He who dies with the most masks wins.

Snoredog

Re: New device for Sleep Apnea

Post by Snoredog » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:23 am

DME_Guy wrote:Anyone have information on this device?

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=21939@kcbs.dayport.com

Found the web-site.

http://www.cpapalternative.com/Home01.asp

Cost between $5,000 and $6,000!!!

I guess DMEs aren't the only evil ones.
Thanks for the link, but it may Cost YOU $5 - $6k... but NOT me!

My oldest daughter is a Dentist and has her Masters in oral biology, I bet she can whip that device out in a couple hours.

Those bruxism mouth guards are made of the exact same material, but they always stop them short or at the end of your hard palate. Last time I had one of those mouth guards made to prevent grinding of the teeth, I think it cost me like $350-$375, they are probably a lot more now.

If you compare that device to a full upper denture there is not a lot of difference ...other than teeth. I'll ask her, but I think the key is having it go back farther on to your soft palate. Some people can't tolerate it due to a sensitive gag reflex. Probably what was NOT shown was that piece on the back wasn't bent down yet to push the tongue down.

I keep telling you guys the key to addressing OSA is the tongue. I wonder how Cory is doing with his GA. Bet he's one sore dude.

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:53 am

Seems simillar to the Nose Breathe Mouthpiece. Both fit on the upper teeth and force the tongue into a specific position. But I think this device differs in that it actually keeps the tongue from falling back during the night. The Nose Breathe is aimed at keeping the tongue in a "blocking' position to prevent any respirations through the mouth.

And some "insurance and Medicare is paying for it."
Very interesting!

MandoJohnny

Post by MandoJohnny » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:27 am

I laughed at the phrase used on the site: "But wait. There's more...a lot more." It sounded like an infomercial. I agree that is way more money than that thing should cost. Plus dental appliances for apnea are not new, this is just a new wrinkle on it. They don't have a great track record. They are not as effective as CPAP and they have thier own compliance issues.

Did you see the guy's credentials? Plenty of dental stuff, but nothing, nothing to do with sleep or breathing. He has no more credentials in that area than I do.

Why would you pay thousands to a dentist for his own home-brew apnea cure that is not endorsed by the medical community? Would it not make more sense to go to a real sleep doctor to get a tried and true solution for little or nothing if you have insurance and perhaps a $1,000 if you don't?

This guy is right on the edge of practicing medicine without a license.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:08 am

Hmmmmmmmm seems it just takes some ingenuity and availability of certain materials. After all, there's no 'invasive surgery here'.

I have two "boil & fit" mouth guards that work extremely well for my Bruxism. I think that I'll mess around with one and try to duplicate the principle that this dentist applied.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hooray for tensioned metal (an old lock pick) and either a heat gun for inserting into my mouth guard, or the old standby, Glue Gun!!

My motto: WHY NOT?

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

stillawake

Post by stillawake » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:24 am

The guy's web site is amateurish, and he can't write worth a damn. And I agree with MandoJohnny that a dentistry license hardly qualifies someone as a sleep disorder expert. But if the device works, then who cares about all that. It has to be a hell of a lot easier to tolerate that a CPAP.

I'd sure like to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:37 am

stillawake wrote:I'd sure like to hear from someone who has actually tried it.
That would limit it to people who live near either of his two offices.

Strange, he doesn't coordinate his 'services' with other dentists in other states, who could send him the impressions - after they stop laughing.

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:51 am

stillawake wrote:The guy's web site is amateurish, and he can't write worth a damn. And I agree with MandoJohnny that a dentistry license hardly qualifies someone as a sleep disorder expert. But if the device works, then who cares about all that. It has to be a hell of a lot easier to tolerate that a CPAP.
Boy, I agree about the web site. Looks and sounds like a shoestring approach which would make me skeptical. If he is serious about presenting this as a solution he needs to get some marketing help. I would want some trustworthy testimony etc.

I also have a horrible gag reflex so I don't know how well this would work for me.

David

Only go straight, don't know.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:10 am

I wonder if that price INCLUDES a before/after PSG?

I could see 2 studies driving the price up. that seems to be the additonal cost with a dental device if you are to prove it actually treats the disorder.

MandoJohnny

Post by MandoJohnny » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:13 am

I could see 2 studies driving the price up. that seems to be the additonal cost with a dental device if you are to prove it actually treats the disorder.
Agreed, but he says on his site he doesn't do PSGs. He does an "FDA approved home sleep study," but he doesn't describe it any further. Does anyone have a clue what that might be? That is the one thing on his site that has me curious.

snork1

cheaper alternatives

Post by snork1 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:26 am

That seems WAY too pricey for a dental device!

I just picked up my TAP Titanium for $1700 "installed" and that was going through a certified sleep dentist. (and darn happy with it with two nights so far)

The hot thing being checked out over at the only "dental device" sub heading in a forum that I am aware of, is the Somnoguard AP for people that are budget limited or just want to "experiment" with a reasonably priced dental device to see if it might work for them. Its only $169 but does not come with a dentist....so you are on your own for tracking issues.
http://nosnorezone.com/order.html
But for a tenth of the price of a dentist installed TAP it pretty much works on the same principal and we have at least two good reports, and a couple of more "lab rats" with some known history on the forum are going to be test driving the Somnoguard AP soon to confirm the positive reports.

sure beats $5K for a device from a non-certified dentist that is dabbling in apnea treatment.
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

birdshell

Snore-Through?

Post by birdshell » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:16 am

I looked at the site, and found it interesting. There may be some merit, but at $5-6 K?

Still, I submitted a question about having my own dentist mold and fit (without interfering with their patent, of course). It is just a slight problem that I live a couple of thousand miles away....which could bring the price effectively up another $1K or so....(travel, housing, meals, etc.)

Won't it be interesting to see what the answer may be? When/if I hear, I'll let y'all know.

Meanwhile, I wonder what I could do with Offerocker's help to my old tooth bleaching trays?