skin rash

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jerold

skin rash

Post by jerold » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:18 am

Has anyone experenced skin rash from the face mask

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: skin rash

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:08 am

Only if I neglect to wash one--or both.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:35 pm

I experienced skin rash, and then got the pad-a-cheek liners from http://www.padacheek.com/
and they have worked well to protect me from further irritation.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

russmac

Post by russmac » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:47 pm

When I first started on CPAP I was given a mask that covered my nose (not sure which model). From day one it caused my face to break out where it came in contact with the mask. No matter how much I cleaned the mask or my face before going to bed I always woke up with irritation and painful, acne-like sores. I tried different soaps, witch hazel, etc. and couldn't find anything that helped. I hadn't discovered this forum at that time, and didn't know anything about padacheek.com. I solved it by switching masks to the ResMed Swift FX, which only makes contact with the nostrils. If that hadn't done the trick I'm sure I would have found this forum much sooner.

vintagekool

Post by vintagekool » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:28 pm

I have found I only get a rash when I have my mask too tight. It is important to clean the mask to get the skin oils off. I have been using some alcohol free cpap wipes that I found on Amazon.

metalclay

Post by metalclay » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:20 am

No. Use only high quality products. Using low quality masks may cause allergies and rashes to your skin.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:07 am

Unscented baby wipes contain no alcohol or fragrance, are gentle as a baby's hiney, and are easy and cheap to find.
I have cut a mask liner out of one that dried out before it could be used.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:15 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Unscented baby wipes contain no alcohol or fragrance, are gentle as a baby's hiney, and are easy and cheap to find.
I have cut a mask liner out of one that dried out before it could be used.
did you know that pampers "alcohol free" baby wipes contain alcohol? (not that it matters to the mask though.)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

purple22

Post by purple22 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:27 pm

Some folks are allergic to silicon that is used in the mask. How is the inside of your nose after using mask?

Not sure if it would help enough, there is the cloth mask. SleepWeaver, I don't think it is silicon free. ???

Like the others, I have learned to at least wipe the silicon where it touches my face every day. If you clean the mask and your face, and still have red marks, then perhaps you should chat with the RT at your DME, or the RT at your sleep doctors office. Respiratory Techs have a wealth of practical information as to how to use the equipment more comfortably.

I am a very happy user of Padacheek products. I would guess you could call on the phone, and Karen would be glad to hear your exact issues, and offer some practical advice. She is well known on this forum to be a very ethical person. Hi Karen.

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Post by Pad A Cheek » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 am

Thank you purple22 I appreciate the kindness. We strive to help whenever we can. It is our mission to help people with sleep apnea sleep more comfortably and wake refreshed.

Karen