Poll Question regarding Morning Grogginess

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kurtchan

Poll Question regarding Morning Grogginess

Post by kurtchan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:32 am

I've been at this for a mere 7 weeks, but find that, now that I'm actually getting some Stage IV sleep, I have a much harder time waking up in the morning. I lay in bed after the alarm goes off -- something I never did before in my life -- and feel a little "out of it" until I've had my morning coffee. Before CPAP I bounced out of bed fully awake and could do with or without the coffee. What's your experience?

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:04 am

Sounds exactly like my first few months on cpap! Paying off that "sleep debt" can take weeks, or months for some! I found that my "debtor" stage lasted about 3 months! It just varies from person to person. But, hey, you are making "payments" on a super end-result, feeling whole again!
Keep it up! You'll get there!

OwlCreekObserver

Re: Poll Question regarding Morning Grogginess

Post by OwlCreekObserver » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:38 am

kurtchan wrote:I've been at this for a mere 7 weeks, but find that, now that I'm actually getting some Stage IV sleep, I have a much harder time waking up in the morning. I lay in bed after the alarm goes off -- something I never did before in my life -- and feel a little "out of it" until I've had my morning coffee. Before CPAP I bounced out of bed fully awake and could do with or without the coffee. What's your experience?
I've been at it about the same length of time, but my total hours really havn't changed much -- six or seven hours a night has always been enough for me.

What has changed is that I now rarely wake up during the night, so I'm getting better quality sleep by far and my numbers reflect that.

BTW, how do you know what stage(s) of sleep you're hitting?

OCO

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:42 am

OCO,

I'm guessing at the stage of sleep because I'm finally starting to dream and remember the dreams -- something I haven't done since I was a teenager. Hope the CPAP therapy doesn't resurrect any other flashbacks to those years; bell bottoms, long hair, leisure suits! lol

Kurtchan

Miss Sandman

Feeling rested

Post by Miss Sandman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:27 am

After more than a year on CPAP, I am occasionally groggy. BUT
Most mornings I feel quite rested. I make sure I am ready to sleep with a good "ritual of preparation". When I feel rested I usually realize I was dreaming, but cannot without a lot of concentration remember details to my dreams. I think this is a good sign we are reaching REM and going in and out of the stages as we should. What a great feeling!

Sandi

"To sleep, perhaps to dream......"

MandoJohnny

Post by MandoJohnny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:02 pm

I just passed 2 months on CPAP. I really thought it was a month longer, until I actually looked at the calendar. I definitely have the same symptoms you describe. Before CPAP, I used to get up a lot during the night and had a lot of insommnia, but I would roll out of bed in the morning and actually feel pretty alert. Then the payback was during the day, especially right after lunch and in the evening. Sometimes, I could barely stay awake. Even though I slept in late on Saturday and Sunday, I regularly took naps on those days. I considered them a great weekend luxury.

Now on CPAP, I sleep longer and more soundly. I still have some insommnia, but not as much. However, when I get up, it's like I am coming out of a coma! I just want to stay in bed for another hour. It definitely takes some caffiene to get me going. But during the day and in the evening, I don't have the tiredness anymore. I actually drink less caffiene overall, because I just don't need it as much to stay awake. Also, on the weekends, I find myself wanting to skip my naps and do something more interesting.