full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yawningjoe56

full face mask

Post by yawningjoe56 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:07 am

hi everyone does anyone have any ideas on a full face masks i am using the amara full face , having leak issues feel really tired been on cpap for two weeks, getting realy frustrated have severe apnea my slleep pattern is worse since i started using machine i have the resmed s9 thank you all.

Gryphon

Re: full face mask

Post by Gryphon » Thu May 19, 2016 5:03 pm

do you know were your leaks are coming from? You need to try and work out what parts of the mask are leaking. Think of it like shoes. Some run narrow or wide and some pinch your toes etc. If you know were your mask is leaking from and how your face is structured. You can find a better mask.

Do you have coverage with insurance or a good DME to work with? If you have options I'd contact the respiratory therapist at your DME and tell them about the leaks and ask to be fitted for a new model of mask. Don't leave until you have a mask that works well for you and doesn't leak while laying down or simulating the position you sleep in.

If your at this on your own I'd do all the research I can in to mask options and see how they fit - there some good youtube reviews you might be able to get some ideas to steer you in the right direction. all our faces are subtly different so I can't offer advice as what works for me may be horrible for you - as these masks usually cost more then 100 dollars each it helps to be selective first so your not wasting too much money trying to find the right mask for you.

If you have the resource of a DME who isn't a money grubbing pain to deal with I'd contact them and ask if there are options you can take part in to find something that works better for you.

I wish you luck with your search.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu May 19, 2016 5:15 pm

yawningjoe56 wrote: having leak issues
To reduce unintentional mask leak -

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)

- If you use a low ramp pressure or a low minimum pressure, you should fit and adjust your mask at the higher pressures it is operating at for most of the night. You would temporarily change the machine pressure settings while you do the fitting and adjusting. It's best to do this well before bedtime before you are tired and ready for sleep. Don't forget to change your settings back to the ones you prefer.

- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask. Notice how your hose is positioned between machine and mask. It should be positioned to minimize any pull on the mask. Hose management is an individual practice. How it is done depends on the mask, the position of the machine, your sleeping position and other factors specific to the individual.

- If you still have problems, learn from the forum what mask liners are available.

- If your mask still has excessive leak, try other masks. Many people report trying several masks before they find one that works well for them.

Note: Links to just some of the mask manufacturers' instructional videos can be found on the forum host's website - https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php

- CG

yawningjoe56

Post by yawningjoe56 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:04 am

thank you so much for all youre help in this matter i am going to speak to my provider today and ask for a different mask, as i have been trying different sizes of the same mask since i started therapy.

knothead

Post by knothead » Fri May 20, 2016 7:19 am

I use a FF mask, 2 different sizes. I use a small or medium as my weight fluctuates. Dont know if this would help you but it works great for me keeping the leaks away...

keroseneburner

Post by keroseneburner » Fri May 20, 2016 7:52 am

I just recently starting using the amara. My AHI more than doubled yet my data shows very little leakage. I felt like I woke up a lot with leaks though. Interesting.
s9 Autoset
humidifier
heated tube
amaraview mask

CaptPat

Post by CaptPat » Fri May 20, 2016 4:50 pm

I initially tried a FFM, but AHIs remained high and I couldn't get the leaks to stop. Shifted to pillows and a chin strap, after about six months I didn't need the chin strap anymore. Now no leaks and AHI consistently below 1.5.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Fri May 20, 2016 9:11 pm

Mask has to seal to face (obvious).
1.) Face has to be clean where contacting seal. Anything that is slippery (oils, creams, etc.) encourages mask slippage and leaks.
2.) Mask seal has to be free from anything slippery. I keep a pump dispenser of 1/4 liquid detergent (Joy/Dawn), wet mask and very gently use some on the seal. Don;t rub hard, you only need to remove the oily film. Then PAT dry with clean towel. Never rub the seal hard either with fingers when washing or towel when drying.
3.) Some masks require more face pressure than others. Too much and you squash the seal making it stiff and it cannot flex with your face. Too loose and it will slide breaking the seal.

My Opinion only: My current mask is the F&P Forma. Somehow they worked out the seal "cupping" to the face so more pressure seems to press the seal itself better. It seems to handle rising and dropping pressure from my Auto better than others. When new the seal has a great grippy surface, not slippery, which holds in place well. However, as I learned, you must be gentle (see #2) when washing or the grippy seal becomes slippery and can't really be fixed. I've really stretched out mask usage with this tip.

Hope this helps.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.