Swallowing air creating problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HRMR

Swallowing air creating problems

Post by HRMR » Tue May 03, 2016 8:28 pm

My Cpap setting is high enough to cause bloating and abdominal cramps that wake me up at night. After trying to "let my body adjust" for a period of time, the doctor decided I needed to switch to a bipap machine. My insurance company is disputing, so I am in a holding pattern. While waiting, I want to try setting the Cpap to a much lower setting and slowly over a matter of weeks (or months if needed) raise the level to the desired setting. Has anyone tried this process with any success? I'd like to take some success stories to my doctor to convince him to let me try.

Julie

Re: Swallowing air creating problems

Post by Julie » Tue May 03, 2016 9:33 pm

Put 'Aerophagia' in the search box here and you'll get lots and lots of info about the syndrome.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 03, 2016 9:38 pm

What brand and model machine are you now using?
Does it offer exhale relief? If so, at what setting are you using?
Sometimes (depending on the brand) we can make cpap machines function sort of like bipaps and give people some relief to the air swallowing (aerophagia) symptoms.
It just depends on what machine you are using and at what settings you are using now.

But yes, sometimes starting lower and working up is successful....but sometimes it isn't but it is sure worth a try if one is out of options.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Diamondminek

Post by Diamondminek » Wed May 04, 2016 4:55 am

I switched on to apap (with data) from cpap (no data,so couldn't really self manage) - and now have no wind problems.
In the mean time, I found that not eating or even drinking water 3 hours before bed really helped, as did staying on my left hand side.
Changing setting may help too, although you really want access to the data to see what changes might help first,and then what impact any changes have.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 04, 2016 6:39 am

HRMR wrote:My Cpap setting is high enough
You give no information about your therapy. Machine settings? AHI? Leak level? Using SleepyHead?

Fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:47 am

cut out all caffeine ... coffee , coke , and all others.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 04, 2016 6:55 am

Not eating right before bed is spot on!
The word "breakfast" implies that you have been fasting--the best sleep is not on a full belly.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed May 04, 2016 7:27 pm

Ok, I'm confused...

Isn't the air getting forced down your esophagus and into your stomach happening during the inhale? Because then lowering the pressure on exhale isn't going to help...

Or is it that air is going around the corner and back down the esophagus during the exhale phase, because the pressure is forcing the air backwards?

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Keep your mouth open a bit at all time to get rid of the Meteorism.

“Meteorism”, is a similar medical term to “Aerophagia”, but the latter term is used more often for intestinal air distention resulting postoperatively.