Newbie question - Nasal CPAP won't stay on

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
littleone9699

Newbie question - Nasal CPAP won't stay on

Post by littleone9699 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:48 am

Hi there! I'm new to the forums, and have been using my CPAP for about 5 months. I initially started with the ResMed10 with nasal pillows, but after 2 months of trying to use that, I ended up getting a new headgear. The ResMed 10 was not at all adjustable and was just too big for my head. I then got the Dreamwear Nasal Mask, which I LOVE! BUT, I am a side sleeper and an active sleeper and this too doesn't stay put . I can adjust the headgear and that helps some, but I wake up several times a night to re-adjust, as the headgear slides up the back of my head, and sometimes I wake up in the morning to find that I have taken it off completely! I'm frustrated that I am not getting the good sleep that I was hoping to get. At this point I almost feel more rested if I DON'T use it, but I know that's not good. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should try? Thanks in advance for your suggestions . . .

Violet West

Re: Newbie question - Nasal CPAP won't stay on

Post by Violet West » Tue May 03, 2016 10:54 am

some suggestions from a newb (which might be lame):

tighten the mask after you put it on your head; use barrettes to hold the headgear in place on your head; use beeswax lip balm to help the mask "stick"; use your hand to hold the mask in place while you move; change your pillow to accommodate side sleeping (mine is a very soft and old down pillow which I can scrunch, so it's not under my face)

Violet West

Post by Violet West » Tue May 03, 2016 11:01 am

ack! I wish there was a way to edit. Regarding tightening the mask:

When I saw my doc and mentioned that I was constantly fiddling with the nasal pillows, he took the mask (I was wearing it in the office) and pulled on the top strap to tighten it. Despite the warnings in the literature not to overtighten the mask, it worked much better that way. Since then, I have started to loosen the top, adjustable strap when I put it on, then tighten it up after it's on my head. Works much better that way.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue May 03, 2016 11:05 am

littleone9699 wrote:Hi there! I'm new to the forums, and have been using my CPAP for about 5 months. I initially started with the ResMed10 with nasal pillows, but after 2 months of trying to use that, I ended up getting a new headgear. The ResMed 10 was not at all adjustable and was just too big for my head. I then got the Dreamwear Nasal Mask, which I LOVE! BUT, I am a side sleeper and an active sleeper and this too doesn't stay put . I can adjust the headgear and that helps some, but I wake up several times a night to re-adjust, as the headgear slides up the back of my head, and sometimes I wake up in the morning to find that I have taken it off completely! I'm frustrated that I am not getting the good sleep that I was hoping to get. At this point I almost feel more rested if I DON'T use it, but I know that's not good. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should try? Thanks in advance for your suggestions . . .

There are dozens of different masks...Go to cpap.com and look at them.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 03, 2016 11:25 am

There is a recent thread about the DreamWear mask (it's either on page 1 or 2 of the forum) where some users have talked about what to do about that back strap sliding up issue. You might look for that thread to get some ideas or input. Someone even posted a little strap modification that helped with stability issues.

I have used the DreamWear, Swift FX and my current ResMed AirFit P10 and they all would sometimes slide up a bit on the back of my head. Sometimes it just happens because of the shape of our heads or the texture of our hair or even the amount of hair we have. It's never been a huge issue for me so I haven't devoted any time into fixing the issue but if you go to that thread you will find some ideas that looked promising.

If you really like the DreamWear otherwise then it probably would be worth it to try some of the tricks that were discussed.
I am a side sleeper also...and I seem to also toss and turn a bit (arthritis pain issues)...I found I had to tighten the DreamWear just a tad more than what I initially thought to get it to be stable enough. Wasn't uncomfortably tight though.
You may or may not be needing a smaller size frame (not the cushion part which touches the nose) to make it more stable. Did you know that the frame comes in more than one size...frame being the part that goes around the head and down the cheeks?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue May 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Ditto what Pugsy said. I find the Dreamwear mask has to be tighter than most nasal or nasal pillow masks, but not so much it gives you a "pig nose".

It sounds like your headgear may be too big. They make a smaller frame that you can use with any size of nasal cushion.

And something I haven't yet tried but has worked well for other masks is to sew a strip of Velcro hook tape (the scratchy side) to the inside of the back strap. It sounds uncomfortable, but it's not. The little hooks hang onto your hair and reduce the slipping.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:40 pm

littleone9699 wrote:Hi there! I'm new to the forums, and have been using my CPAP for about 5 months. I initially started with the ResMed10 with nasal pillows, but after 2 months of trying to use that, I ended up getting a new headgear. The ResMed 10 was not at all adjustable and was just too big for my head. I then got the Dreamwear Nasal Mask, which I LOVE! BUT, I am a side sleeper and an active sleeper and this too doesn't stay put . I can adjust the headgear and that helps some, but I wake up several times a night to re-adjust, as the headgear slides up the back of my head, and sometimes I wake up in the morning to find that I have taken it off completely! I'm frustrated that I am not getting the good sleep that I was hoping to get. At this point I almost feel more rested if I DON'T use it, but I know that's not good. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should try? Thanks in advance for your suggestions . . .
Hi littleone, the thread that Pugsy and Jan are referring to is most likely below this one now. Look for the thread with the title 'DreamWear Mask by Janknitz on Fri. March 4, 2016 at 2:22 p.m.' Read through the posts there; you will find a lot of suggestions to help with this particular mask. I also posted pictures for a modification that helps with the slipping issue. If you have further questions, feel free to ask

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Wed May 04, 2016 2:19 am

Violet West wrote:ack! I wish there was a way to edit.
There is a way to edit after you've made a posting. One of the buttons on your own postings is called "Edit". Just click that one, and you'll be in edit mode with your posting and you can fix it.

I'm not sure that's what you were asking about editing, if it wasn't, sorry.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Wed May 04, 2016 2:43 am

I've got the Dreamwear and also love it.

From what I can deduce from wearing it there are two points of tension (three if you count the nose piece), the back strap and the top of the frame.

Adjusting these two points to create a balance is what is required. If you move the top of the frame too much towards the top of your head then the back strap loses tension. I feel that good backstrap tension is vital to keeping the nasal piece in place so I deliberately move the top of the frame forward on my head. As I do so I can feel the nasal piece respond and I adjust until it's not too tight, not too loose. I can now do this very quickly and the back strap doesn't ride up.

That said, I don't have much hair back there. However, my back strap is level with the middle of my ears and for people with hair,(lucky buggers) if you slide the back strap under your hair t the hairline point you might achieve the same result.

I have the medium frame and the small nasal piece.

Don't know if this will help or not.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 04, 2016 7:07 am

Some folks suffering from a dearth of hair wear a skullcap or buff under the headgear.
"God only made a few perfect heads; the rest He covered with hair."

Violet West

Post by Violet West » Wed May 04, 2016 7:42 am

@RogerSC. thank you. And duh -- I'm blind

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Wed May 04, 2016 10:35 am

I have no idea what mask is which, but I wear Swift nasal pillows and use the original headgear. All I want to say is don't be afraid to construct new ways of making yours fit better. I pinned a wide piece of elastic around the back of my head, around each side of the headgear and it made all the difference in the world as to it's fit and stability.

littleone9699

Post by littleone9699 » Fri May 06, 2016 11:13 am

Thank you all so much for the suggestions!!!! I started with getting a smaller frame, I have a medium, so I ordered a small. Last night I tried it for the first time last night, and along with tightening the straps a little more than I had, it seems to have worked well!! It didn't slip off the back of my head at all! I may have had it a little too tight, as it made me a little sore right under my nose, but I'm glad to get a good nights sleep! I also tried a different chin strap, but I did notice my mouth falling open so I may have to tighten that a little more (or eventually go with a full face mask, which I really don't want to do). I truly appreciate all your responses and suggestions, I wish I would have found this board months ago!!