mouth breathing alarm?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Visitor

mouth breathing alarm?

Post by Visitor » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:09 am

Any tips for a mouth breathing alarm? Mouth breathing (despite chin strap) is my main issue. Any tips on a mouth breathing alarm, either through a built in alarm or another trick? I want it to wake me up so I can adjust matters rather than sleep through it (which leaves me wrecked the next day)? I'm using the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset

Mr Nifty

Re: mouth breathing alarm?

Post by Mr Nifty » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:33 am

My Aircurve V10 Auto has a build in leak alert. I just needed to turn it on. Perhaps your machine does as well?
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016
Masks I have tried
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow, Dreamwear -Nasal

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:35 am

I don't think there's any machine that detects 'mouth' breathing, only leaks, which could be from around the mask (or even hose).

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:25 pm

I suspect that a total leak of air from an open mouth might mimic the condition that triggers the "mask off" alarm to sound on my older Respironics System One machine. I'm not sure, never tested it. However, that alarm is slightly quieter than a mouse peeing on a cotton ball and would never have had a prayer of waking me. I imagine that alarms on other machines are probably just as quiet and easy to sleep through, especially if there's a rushing air sound to overcome. Good luck.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:11 pm

What works for many people is taping. If you search the forum you will find many threads about it. What is most important is to use the right tape - something like 3M Micropore - and it only sticks once, so don't try to move it, start over with a new piece. Some people use a single strip holding the middle of the lips together. Others tape across the lips horizontally. It takes some experimenting to see what works best for you.

I used to use a chinstrap but I caught myself blowing air out anyway by just fluttering my lips so for some of us chinstraps won't stop mouth breathing. I have found that after taping for a while, I seem to have learned to stop blowing air out my lips and don't seem to need to tape anymore as I'm not getting the dried out mouth any more and my leak numbers are good.

Some people say that a flexible neck brace helps them to not mouth breathe. I hope you are able to find something that works for you.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Visitor wrote:Any tips for a mouth breathing alarm? Mouth breathing (despite chin strap) is my main issue. Any tips on a mouth breathing alarm, either through a built in alarm or another trick? I want it to wake me up so I can adjust matters rather than sleep through it (which leaves me wrecked the next day)? I'm using the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Use a full face mask.
Do nasal cleansing before bedtime.
Turn down or off the humidity setting on your machine.

The solutions are very simple and easy to do.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

pdeli

Post by pdeli » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:45 pm

I found that tape worked for awhile, but then I got to the point that I didn't need the tape any more.

There was a post awhile back that described how you could "vacuum" your mouth with your tongue up against the back of your upper teeth.

I consiously did that during the day and found that this became the "default" position for my tongue all day, most of the time. At night I would go to sleep with my hand up against my mouth and this would pretty much keep my tongue up behind my upper teeth all night. I could tell if it was not a successful tactic because otherwise my mouth would be quite dry in the morning. It's been quite awhile since I've used tape with my nasal mask.

Good luck

Phil
West Sacramento

spmccord

Post by spmccord » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:45 am

*imagines the sound of a mouse peeing on a cotton ball*