Struggling with a bad bout of Flu

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
skullduggery

Struggling with a bad bout of Flu

Post by skullduggery » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:49 am

For the past 4 days I have been struggling with a bad case of the flu. I usually use nasal pillows, but have switched to a full face mask since being unwell. I am still finding it hard to use the mask due to congestion and coughing. My sleep clinic said to persevere but otherwise offered no advice. Maybe that is my only option, to persevere, but if anyone has any advice, home remedies etc, I would appreciate it. Many Thanks

BlackSpinner

Re: Struggling with a bad bout of Flu

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 am

Turn up the humidity and put some vicks/tiger balm/eucalyptus in a saucer near the air intake. Use a nasal rinse to clear out the muck and use OTC (if you can) decongestants before bed.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:04 pm

I had the same issue. I bought some small cotton makeup removal pads. I put a few drops of eucalyptus globula and place it next to, not over, the filter. It works very well for me. "Vicks" reformulated recently and no longer has camphor. I have an old jar and it works but I don't like the new. I understand the camphor was thought to be too strong for little children.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:12 pm

Maybe it's a mistake but you selected a Fitlife total face mask in your equipment profile A total face mask is sort of overkill for cold and flu season, that's like using a sledge hammer to swat a fly. Why not try a regular full face mask like the ResMed AirFit F10 (see my mask equipment line below)? A lot folks here at CPAPtalk do that then put it away and use nasal pillows/masks for the rest of the season

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:10 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Maybe it's a mistake but you selected a Fitlife total face mask in your equipment profile A total face mask is sort of overkill for cold and flu season, that's like using a sledge hammer to swat a fly. Why not try a regular full face mask like the ResMed AirFit F10 (see my mask equipment line below)? A lot folks here at CPAPtalk do that then put it away and use nasal pillows/masks for the rest of the season
I don't see that as overkill at all. When I've got a lot of sinus congestion, the pressure of the mask on my face is pretty uncomfortable. A total face mask, with a lot of humidity, would be wonderful! I've often wished I had one when I have a bug.

It's hard to wear any mask with a runny nose and cough. But I always feel much better with CPAP than without--I've been known to literally hold the mask to my face with my hands between sneezes. I do agree with above posters about doing what you can to clear up congestion so you can wear your mask except I'm not a big fan of decongestants--they dry you out temporarily and too much, and then you rebound with more congestion. I use a saline rinse (you can also do the nasal irrigation if you tolerate that), but nothing more.

I'm not a big fan of over the counter stuff except Mucinex is good to help loosen up the secretions so you can get them moving out. Drink lots of warm fluids, tea and bone broth especially. I made my little one sour gummies out of gelatin when she was sick last week--the gelatin is very soothing to your body and they have some Vitamin C in them. I also add gelatin or collagen to warm tea for its healing power. Fish oil and Vitamin D are good things to be taking to reduce inflammation.

If you have a low grade fever (101 or lower) let it be. That's your body doing what it's supposed to in order to kill the virus. But 102 and above are so miserable--I will often get in a bath of about 100 degrees, it helps bring the fever down without chilling you. I will resort to Tylenol or Ibuprofen only if I can't get the fever down any other way.

You just have to get through the icky part as best you can. Hope you feel better soon!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:18 pm

I don't see that as overkill at all. When I've got a lot of sinus congestion, the pressure of the mask on my face is pretty uncomfortable. A total face mask, with a lot of humidity, would be wonderful! I've often wished I had one when I have a bug.
YES! Even pressure on my cheek bones and bridge of the nose will be uncomfortable sometimes.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:20 pm

If you have coughing fits and feel like you need to rip the mask off, try raising your pressure a bit and see if that helps. I have to raise my starting pressure from 11 to 13 when i have a bad cough.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?