Skin irritation after 4 nights

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Suequeblue

Skin irritation after 4 nights

Post by Suequeblue » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:00 pm

I searched for other posts about this, but got frustrated, so my apologies for asking a question that probably comes up a lot.

I started my CPAP last Thursday. Right now, my main complaint is the skin irritation. I am using a nasal mask, and it is causing blisters/pimple type spots on my cheek, right by my nose. I am washing it daily, with ivory dish soap. I don't know if I have the mask on too tight, or if this is just something I will have to live with. I did order some wipes of off Amazon to use instead of the soap and water.

Other than that, my therapy is going pretty well. I have had moments of feeling like I can't breathe, and over the weekend, my husband helps me settle down. But this morning he had already left, and when I had that "panic" type feeling, I took the whole thing off, in my sleep. My CPAP trainer said that I could be a candidate for the pillows, and maybe that will solve both my problems.

So, any ideas out there in regards to the sore spots? I have a lot to learn, and am glad there is a group like this on the web.
Susan S.

Julie

Re: Skin irritation after 4 nights

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:17 pm

You could be slightly allergic to the mask material, and I suggest you try wearing a liner... see Padacheek.com for those... but incidentally while the designer is a member here, I'm not 'pushing' the items but letting you see what I'm referring to - some people use T-shirt material to make them.

You could also try 1-2 nights with OTC antihistamines (like Claritin, etc) to see if it helps.

The above is exactly what I said to another newbie earlier today under "Newbie thoughts and questions".

As far as your breathing trouble, without knowing what machine you're using, what mask and what your pressure settings are, it's hard to advise. You can go back into your note here, hit Edit above it and add the info.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:37 pm

I also had the skin blisters and wondered if it was because I didn't wash my new nasal mask. You know at first there is so much thrown at you and I didn't read everything. I used a little antibiotic cream and covered it with bandaids until it healed. Just used my mask over it. I got the liner as soon as possible and it never happened again.

If you put your equipment in your equipment profile it will show in each post and help us to respond. Your Pressure settings can also be put in the comments. This link will help. wiki/index.php/Registering_Equipment_in_User_Profile
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:48 am

I think I have a mild latex allergy. Some folks on here have said Lansinoh (diaper rash ointment) helps. Give it a shot.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:54 am

Mudrock63 wrote:I think I have a mild latex allergy. Some folks on here have said Lansinoh (diaper rash ointment) helps. Give it a shot.
It's not diaper rash cream but cream for breast feeding mothers for sore nipples. Here is what it looks like. http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Lanolin- ... B005MI648C But it can also be found in most stores that have baby areas.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760