Central Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
elg5cats

Central Apnea

Post by elg5cats » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Since getting my new machine Airsense for her, the majority of my apneas are central. During my sleep study no central apneas were identified...my previous machine did not recognize central apneas. I had mostly hypo apneas then. Not sure what to make of this and wondering if anyone else has experienced this with a change in machine with new software?

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

OkyDoky

Re: Central Apnea

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:00 pm

What is your AHI, and what are obstructive, central, hyponea? Are you monitoring with software? Are the centrals spread out through the night, in clusters, or at times when you might have been awake?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:07 pm

What the machine calls central events, may not be exactly that.
In the lab, centrals are detected using multiple sensors, including leads for brain waves.
Lacking that, sometimes other things are reported as centrals.
If you are changing sleep stage or even position, you may unconsciously hold your breath,
Essentially this is what the computer guesses is a "central".
How many events are you having, and when?

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:45 pm

OkyDoky wrote:What is your AHI, and what are obstructive, central, hyponea? Are you monitoring with software? Are the centrals spread out through the night, in clusters, or at times when you might have been awake?
I've used my new machine 24 days. My AHI is .09 Central is .04. The Centrals are both in clusters and spread out. Almost no hypo's, a few unknowns. I'm using ResMed and Sleephead's software. I am not awake....I'm asleep within moments of mask on, lights off. I do have a puppy who I sometimes have to get up during the night to take out, but none of the apneas are centered around that very brief awakening.

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:48 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:What the machine calls central events, may not be exactly that.
In the lab, centrals are detected using multiple sensors, including leads for brain waves.
Lacking that, sometimes other things are reported as centrals.
If you are changing sleep stage or even position, you may unconsciously hold your breath,
Essentially this is what the computer guesses is a "central".
How many events are you having, and when?
Most of my events are registering as central apnea. They are occurring at different times throughout the night...some in the midst of obstructive and some clustered together every night.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:14 pm

For most people CAs are Clear Airway Apneas. These are times where you hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. Sometimes it's when you hold your breath while turning over in bed or they occur just before you wake up or while you are trying to go to sleep. Unless yo have very large number in bunches and your AHI is high,,,don't worry about them.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:23 pm

elg5cats wrote: Central is .04.
a central index of .04 over the night is absolutely nothing to worry about.

until you're in the high single digits or double digits, meh, you're fine.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:26 pm

The numbers you have posted are not worrisome. We all have a few.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:27 pm

elg5cats wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:What is your AHI, and what are obstructive, central, hyponea? Are you monitoring with software? Are the centrals spread out through the night, in clusters, or at times when you might have been awake?
I've used my new machine 24 days. My AHI is .09 Central is .04. The Centrals are both in clusters and spread out. Almost no hypo's, a few unknowns. I'm using ResMed and Sleephead's software. I am not awake....I'm asleep within moments of mask on, lights off. I do have a puppy who I sometimes have to get up during the night to take out, but none of the apneas are centered around that very brief awakening.
Could you please check your numbers or post some data? An AHI of 0.9 would only be 7 events in an 8-hour night. Most of us would kill for numbers like that, and if they are primarily CA...well count your blessings. You're doing great.

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Sleeprider wrote:
elg5cats wrote:
Could you please check your numbers or post some data? An AHI of 0.9 would only be 7 events in an 8-hour night. Most of us would kill for numbers like that, and if they are primarily CA...well count your blessings. You're doing great.
I haven't posted screenshots in a long time....if I can figure out how to do it, I will. I looked over my data again tonight that sort of freaked me out last night....it's the clusters of Central's that spooked me. My AHI has been lower with this machine.....never real high with previous auto, but better with new machine thus far.