is CPAP machine ok inside my checked bag?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DeniseR7

is CPAP machine ok inside my checked bag?

Post by DeniseR7 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:54 pm

I will be flying to Florida in the near future on Southwest Airlines. I will have enough space to stuff my CPAP machine in my checked luggage. I was wondering if anyone has done this and was it ok? I would like to carry less thru the TSA's check points and I will already have a cell phone and an iPad.

Janknitz

Re: is CPAP machine ok inside my checked bag?

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:00 pm

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Potential damage--they toss those bags around like footballs.

Potential theft--happens ALL the time.

Potential loss--people are often separated from their luggage.

Bad idea!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:01 pm

The problem is the way luggage is handled...PLUS....luggage is lost very frequently. The CPAP is not counted as your carry on.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:12 pm

DeniseR7 wrote:I will be flying to Florida in the near future on Southwest Airlines. I will have enough space to stuff my CPAP machine in my checked luggage. I was wondering if anyone has done this and was it ok? I would like to carry less thru the TSA's check points and I will already have a cell phone and an iPad.
as long as you don't mind the very real possibility of your bag being lost, or sent to the wrong city and doing without your cpap for a few days, if you're lucky.

happened to a friend of mine who was ignorant enough to put her cpap in her luggage, it went to sacramento, she couldn't get on the flight with her luggage and ended up in back in dallas for a few days.

had to use one of my spare machines and masks.

she'll NEVER make that mistake again

as LSAT mentioned, cpaps are medical devices and don't count towards your carryon limit... FAA rules.

of course, having yours lost or destroyed in your luggage could be a great excuse to get a new machine

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kurth83

Post by kurth83 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:16 pm

I didn't know about the FAA rule there, good to know, anyone know if that is common on international flights too?

Personally I would never check a CPAP machine, replacement cost is on me, so I avoid the risk.

DeniseR7

Post by DeniseR7 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:51 pm

palerider wrote:
DeniseR7 wrote:I will be flying to Florida in the near future on Southwest Airlines. I will have enough space to stuff my CPAP machine in my checked luggage. I was wondering if anyone has done this and was it ok? I would like to carry less thru the TSA's check points and I will already have a cell phone and an iPad.
as long as you don't mind the very real possibility of your bag being lost, or sent to the wrong city and doing without your cpap for a few days, if you're lucky.

happened to a friend of mine who was ignorant enough to put her cpap in her luggage, it went to sacramento, she couldn't get on the flight with her luggage and ended up in back in dallas for a few days.

had to use one of my spare machines and masks.

she'll NEVER make that mistake again

as LSAT mentioned, cpaps are medical devices and don't count towards your carryon limit... FAA rules.

of course, having yours lost or destroyed in your luggage could be a great excuse to get a new machine
I didn't know it counted as a medical device. I just hate juggling all the electronic gear. but I will carry it on! thanks!

Thatgirl

Post by Thatgirl » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:01 pm

Janknitz wrote:No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Potential damage--they toss those bags around like footballs.

Potential theft--happens ALL the time.

Potential loss--people are often separated from their luggage.

Bad idea!
Can't agree with this enough!

Last edited by Thatgirl on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aircurve 10 Vauto, Dreamwear mask, Vauto mode: EPAP min 5, IPAP max 20, PS 6
Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Never check anything especially if you need it! I did a complete Round the World trip this summer with my S9, my backpack and a roll aboard - for 43 nights. No issues anywhere on many different airlines. Treating CPAP as a medical device is pretty global. YMMV - we travelled in business class which meant we had plenty of overheads.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:16 pm

It is a TSA rule. It is considered lifesaving medical equipment. All USA airlines have to follow their rules. The airline can not separate you from your machine. www TSA.gov. The TSA can examine it so put your mask in a gallon Baggie Also ask them to put on fresh gloves.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:19 pm

If you are still not convinced, Google "United Breaks Guitars", and watch the video.
---and then you can check the prices of Taylor guitars.
Your checked cpap might get HURT!

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:17 pm

kurth83 wrote:I didn't know about the FAA rule there, good to know, anyone know if that is common on international flights
The FAA determinations apply to all international flights to and from the USA, but have no currency beyond that.

For international flights which do not involve the USA, you need to ask the airline(s) concerned about their specific policies. From my recent direct experiences - QANTAS, British Airways and Garuda all have reasonable policies regarding xPAP carry-on and use in flight as long as you advise them beforehand

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:27 pm

I haven't flown with a cpap machine, but I used to fly with with a nebulizer all the time and I never checked it. I always carried it on the plane. I always used a hard side suitcase with a two in wide cloth strap around it. When I got to Cedar Rapids, one day, the only thing holding my clothes in the suitcase was the cloth strap. I don't know how they managed to do that much damage, but the airline ended up paying for a new suitcase for me. They tied to tell me they didn't damage it, but I guarantee you they would never accept a suitcase in that condition.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Luggage handlers have been known to break anvils!

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:13 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:If you are still not convinced, Google "United Breaks Guitars", and watch the video.
---and then you can check the prices of Taylor guitars.
Your checked cpap might get HURT!
united was the carrier that sent my friends luggage and cpap to SAC and her back to DFW when denver was getting snowed in around new years.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:02 pm

My mother's suit case came home with tire tracks on it.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal