CPAP and Carry On Travel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BuzzB

CPAP and Carry On Travel

Post by BuzzB » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm about to get a CPAP machine for the first time.

I travel a great deal and for extended periods. I try to travel with only carry-on luggage.

Most airlines in the USA allow the CPAP as an additional item not to be included with the limits of a carry-on bag and personal item.

But my travel takes me all over the world. Does anyone know of an airline that doesn't allow the CPAP as an extra item and insists it be included in their carry-on restrictions?

Additionally.....

My doctor has prescribed a ResMed 10 but this is big in regard to carry-on bags. Does anyone use a smaller device designed to fit easily in a carry-on and not take up nearly a 1/3 of the spec? If so, which ones?

TIA

curems

Re: CPAP and Carry On Travel

Post by curems » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:44 pm

This may be totally irrelevant to your circumstance but my machine is covered by my insurance so I have to demonstrate compliance. I had thought about getting a smaller machine for travel but felt it just wasn't worth it for me (I do have good insurance coverage and appreciate that fact so I don't mind demonstrating compliance).

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:50 pm

The machine itself is not what takes up so much space. It's the mask, and hose that take up so much space. I looked into getting a travel sized machine, and decided not to. The Resmed Airsense 10 has a side cover, which replaces the humidifier. If you use that cover and leave the humidifier at home, it does save a little space.
I ordered it online thru Direct Home Medical, it is Resmed part #37335.
I also wonder if those travel size machines are the same quality as my Resmed.

Last edited by Cardsfan on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuzzB

Post by BuzzB » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Curems--the travel sized ones I've seen aren't too expensive and I'd buy one as a secondary machine.

Cardsfan--thanks, I haven't gotten the machine yet so I was going by the specs given online. Since distilled water is not easy to find everywhere outside the U.S., I planned to leave the humidifier home.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Before you leave your humidifier at home, you need to do a test run. My nose is not happy with no humidity.

curems

Post by curems » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:07 pm

BuzzB wrote:Curems--the travel sized ones I've seen aren't too expensive and I'd buy one as a secondary machine.

Cardsfan--thanks, I haven't gotten the machine yet so I was going by the specs given online. Since distilled water is not easy to find everywhere outside the U.S., I planned to leave the humidifier home.
It's not the cost of the travel size machine that is an issue but the fact that I want my doc, DME & insurance to have my data and record my compliance. My doc prefers Respironics machines so she has uniformity with all of the data. She reads the data off my machine and discusses it with me to assess my treatment and make any adjustments we feel would help. My insurance company gets compliance data via the DME and my supplies are fully covered as long as I remain compliant. I've been extremely fortunate with all three in that I have had excellent treatment from all three so far.

I would also hesitate to use the machine without the humidifier. My OSA is mild to begin with and I have other breathing issues that could be compromised without the humidity. I also don't travel outside the country so it isn't an issue for me.

I like cardsfan's suggestion to try a "dry run" (sorry for the pun) and see how you do without a humidifier. That might help you make the best decision for yourself - yet again, this treatment is so individual!

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:27 pm

I travel every week and use a Z1 Auto and HME for humidification for a couple of years. I slip the machine into my backpack and keep the mask and small power brick , hose and Q-tube in my carryon. I do not find that the mask/hose etc take up much roon because they are so thin....I have a small tupperware container where I put my mask and the rest is just coild up on top of whatever I pack and then the bag closed. It is way easier to carry the Z1 than the third bag for my PRS1......I would absolutely never do that again.

The HME's work adequately and can now be had for 3.95 each in quantity 8. Since you travel a lot that should not be an issue in buying 8.

There are lots of discussions about the Z1, or search on my username and you will find lots of posts about it. Or PM me with specific questions if you like.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:19 pm

BuzzB wrote: ..... Does anyone know of an airline that doesn't allow the CPAP as an extra item and insists it be included in their carry-on restrictions?
I can't be specific by naming an airline but I think you're safer to use a general rule that CPAP counts as a carry-on most everywhere outside of the USA. Within the USA, this is covered by a TSA rule that requires all airlines (in the USA) to accept CPAPs as carry-on that doesn't count towards your carry-on limit.

Outside of the USA, I'm unaware of any such government rules. However, you will find individual airlines that have adopted this as policy. This seems to be the case for major airlines in Canada (e.g. Air Canada, WestJet). It is my understanding (I have no direct experience) that airlines in Europe will count the CPAP as part of your on board allotment.

In any case, the best rule is to check with the airline in advance of your departure. This includes checking with carriers for all connecting flights, too. Rules can, and do change.
I'm workin' on it.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:04 pm

As well as the quixotic temperament of whichever gate agent you happen to encounter.
If someone is having a bad day at work, or a domestic kerfuffle at home; you may be the
unlucky recipient of a "company policy" created on the spot just for YOU.

jonny515

Post by jonny515 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:27 pm

At the risk of taking this OT, but not by much, is there are backpack that would work. I think traveling with 2 carry-ons would be difficult, even if allowed.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:06 am

jonny515 wrote:At the risk of taking this OT, but not by much, is there are backpack that would work. I think traveling with 2 carry-ons would be difficult, even if allowed.
Actually, as one who travelled last year and will be doing it again next month, I don't think your question is OT at all. I find it a royal pain in the neck to take two carry ons on the plane even if the VPAP bag doesn't count against the bag limit.

The only problem with your suggestion is it seems it would be hard to stow it under the seat in front as I was able to do with the VPAP. I am just not comfortable sticking it in the overhead bin for fear it will get jostled around.

Hopefully, my experience will be as pain free as it was last year.

49er

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:18 am

BuzzB, if you travel throughout the world, then you already know that outside of the USA, it is the dragon at the boarding gate that makes up rules on the spot as to what is "legal" and what is not! The system that works for you five times in a row might not past muster at the sixth attempt. Rather than carry a third piece (luggage + computer bag + CPAP bag), I tend to overstuff my computer bag with mask and hose.

And there is no telling where you will run into that gate dragon... I ran into one while flying out of BUD on AF/KL in business class!

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:34 am

RobertS975 wrote: ... I ran into one while flying out of BUD on AF/KL in business class!
? ? ? Is that Budweiser, Air France and Key Largo?

Please translate for those of us who are not insiders ...
I'm workin' on it.

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:43 am

Budapest, Air France /KLM

russatore

Post by russatore » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:01 am

IATA rules allows as carry on items, without counting toward your allowance, for portable medical electronic devices (Automated External Defibrillators (AED), Nebuliser, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP).
The best way would be to carry one of those hard top trolley with wheels and pack inside your cpap as well.
In the event you are one of those travellers with lots of carry on then you can always hang your cpap bag on the handle of the trolley that way the wheels of your trolley will carry both your bags.
I would advice to have a doctor prescription in english with you that states you have been prescribed the use of the cpap and that you are expected to fly with it at your side. That I found, will take care of any dragon (or idiot) who may want to make you check in your device.