Dry Mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
epirn

Dry Mouth

Post by epirn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Just changed to the Amara View FFM last PM. Worked rather well. I also use the AirFit 10 FFM. With both masks I have been waking up with a very dry mouth. I have a heated humidifier and have increased the temp to 83 and humidity to 6. Any other suggestions?

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Dry Mouth

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Your are most likely mouth breathing during long periods of the night... unless you can stop it you're probably going to continue to get dry mouth. I like this mouth moisturizing gel and use it every night. A tube lasts me about a month.

http://www.dentist.net/products/orajel- ... rizing-gel

Love your avatar... that's some serious attitude.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

epirn

Post by epirn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Definitely a mouth breather and most likely will not be able to stop. Will not add a chin strap as it has been enough of a challenge getting used to the FFM and this whole CPAP stuff!! Will give the mouth gel a try, thank you.

Love my GSD. I know the cat has attitude but love the control of the GSD!!

curems

Post by curems » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:28 pm

I'm not a mouth breather but tried FFMs because of fitting problems with masks. I get terrible dry mouth only when I use a FFM. I tried Xylimelts and they did help some.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:http://www.dentist.net/products/orajel- ... rizing-gel
Hmmm. That price is now lower than drugstore.com. If I actually sign in, will it still show free shipping?
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:53 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sir NoddinOff wrote:http://www.dentist.net/products/orajel- ... rizing-gel
Hmmm. That price is now lower than drugstore.com. If I actually sign in, will it still show free shipping?
Yes, you did once mention you found a cheaper place to buy it... probably drugstore.com. As I recall I've only bought from dentist.net once and I just signed on as a guest. I think I bought enough for free shipping. They do still have free shipping for over $75... I just checked. Maybe save a few bucks by starting an account? Worth a try.

From my own experience, I've found that just using half the recommended amount per night works for me, but then I don't inadvertently swallow it, need a drink at night or otherwise spit it out, etc. I really like that it lasts all night - unlike the other major brand, Biotene.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:05 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:From my own experience, I've found that just using half the recommended amount per night works for me, but then I don't inadvertently swallow it, need a drink at night or otherwise spit it out, etc. I really like that it lasts all night - unlike the other major brand, Biotene.
I never read the recommended amount. Like a man - never read the directions.

It seems if I use too much, some of it will leak out and siphon the whole bunch out. Small amounts seem better.

A tube lasts me three weeks. You?

Due to an unrelated problem, I usually sleep 5.5 to 6.0 hours before I get out of bed and move around for a few minutes. It is often that I reapply Oragel when returning to bed. I probably don't need to, but it is somewhat of a security blanket that helps me fall back to sleep.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

MarcoSil

Post by MarcoSil » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:44 pm

I had a real problem with dry mouth, no matter what mask I used. Had my septum straightened and turbinates cleaned up which was a major improvement on my ability to breath through my nose, but still the dry mouth. I am currently using the Dreamwear nasal mask and really like it.

Solved my dry mouth problem by using teeth guards which I fill with Biotine Oral balance gel before going to sleep. Voila, no more dry mouth. I'll try the oraljel as well.